Past French prez elections today: President Jean-Christophe LAGARDE, 1965-1969 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:10:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  Past French prez elections today: President Jean-Christophe LAGARDE, 1965-1969 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Past French prez elections today: President Jean-Christophe LAGARDE, 1965-1969  (Read 5124 times)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: September 15, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
« edited: September 21, 2009, 04:32:18 AM by big bad fab »

I'll try to make you vote in past French presidential elections, but with today candidates.
I'll switch from a past candidate to a present candidate who has the same political positioning/behaviour/course/strength.

For example, 1965 nowadays would be something like that:

de Gaulle -> Sarkozy
Mitterrand -> Fabius
Lecanuet -> Jean-Christophe Lagarde
Tixier-Vignancour -> Gollnisch
Marcilhacy -> François Goulard
Barbu -> Hirsch

More about this later.

Of course I won't be able to make 2007 in... 2009.
But I'll try to make a 2007 in... 2017.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 03:51:14 AM »

You'll be able to vote in each case, I have still to create the lists. Just wait a bit.

I know that this is "horrible" for great historical figures... But it's a way to have many present what-ifs "based" on historical precedents.

For the "big" candidates, I'll change for every election, so that Sarkozy will only be proposed once, Royal, Aubry, DSK, Bayrou, etc, also.
It will be far more difficult for the far-left and for the far-right, as they have a candidate in each election and not so many big figures nowadays...
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:58:46 AM »
« Edited: September 18, 2009, 03:51:39 AM by big bad fab »

Part One:
FRENCH PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION "à la 1965"
First round

6 candidates:

Alain Juppé (<-> Charles de Gaulle, big leader of the gaullist right)
Laurent Fabius (<-> François Mitterrand, already old leader of the left, but not first leader, and trying to come back)
Jean-Christophe Lagarde (<-> Jean Lecanuet, not very well known centre-right man, rising star, at ease in the medias)
Bruno Gollnisch (<-> Jean-Louis Tixier-Vignancour, strong and "vocal" figure of the far-right)
François Goulard (<-> Pierre Marcilhacy, individualistic and unknown politician from the pro-European centre-right, who often dissents with the right)
José Bové (<-> Marcel Barbu, populist and so-called "generous" guy from the civil society, weirdly elected, based on strong "communities")

You have 6 votes, that you must split between 3 candidates: 4-1-1.

big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 08:10:15 AM »

My votes:
4 for Juppé
1 for Lagarde
1 for Goulard

(I would have preferred 6 for Juppé or 4 Juppé-2 Lagarde, but this is the rule... designed to make things a little less "partisan" and a little more "suspenseful" with not too much "zeros")

Of course, the rule may seem hard when you have many candidates from one side and few from the other, but remember that, in the next elections, that will be different.
And you'll have:
Hollande, Royal, Aubry, DSK, Hamon, Peillon, Valls
Copé, Sarkozy, Fillon, Alliot-Marie, Villepin, Bertrand, Morin, Borloo
and many others Cheesy

So, it's just for fun !

Vote is open !
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »

Fabien you just did the most complicated and pointless what-if that I have ever seen!

But, well, enjoy!

Wink
Pointless ?!?
Well, everything is pointless around here... (except reporting real polls)
That's the point, precisely Wink

Complicated, yes, but because, we need to have a sort of real election and with, at most, 5 voters, we must have more votes...
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 08:28:17 AM »

Fabien you just did the most complicated and pointless what-if that I have ever seen!

But, well, enjoy!

Wink
Pointless ?!?
Well, everything is pointless around here... (except reporting real polls)
That's the point, precisely Wink

Complicated, yes, but because, we need to have a sort of real election and with, at most, 5 voters, we must have more votes...

Yes, but that's the mix of present and past, I mean, the contexts are so much different, that we can't make people match that easy, I tend to see it more irrelevant than pointless in fact. You know I already can't go in past what-ifs given that for me it's a non sense to vote for something that I didn't live in, so imagine what is this what-ifs for me! I can just go in present/future what-ifs.

Of course, it can't match perfectly, but you see that my 1965-like candidates aren't so bad (sorry for this lack of humility...).

In fact, more than the votes, we may have discussion about my choice of candidates (here, I'm speaking to Hash, Antonio, PGSable, etc, more than to you Benoît Wink).

BTW, trying to vote "honestly" in past elections is really interesting: see what Hans-im-Glück made on the German elections.
As for me, I honestly acknowledge that I may have been wrong in the 1930s, by voting for the DNVP or the "bad" Zentrum: that makes you ask difficult questions sometimes.
It forces you not to vote with your today mind, but to try to vote with a mind of the time.

It also forces one to acknowledge that he may have not been a "résistant" in 1940, or even after 1942. (always my same example, sorry).

But, of course, we need to know the real context of the time: that's not easy.
Another example on the other side: it's difficult today to say that Allende wasn't a good president; very few have the courage to say this. (I'm not saying that Pinochet was right, of course... just trying to think with a 1971-72 mind).

To come back to this topic, it's just a game, un prétexte to put together some names of today French politics in an odd but fun mix.
So, it's less serious than the other types of games...
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:37:27 AM »

Part One:
Official results of the first round

30 votes
José Bové 9 votes (30.0%)
Jean-Christophe Lagarde 7 votes (23.3%)

Laurent Fabius 6 votes (20.0%)
Alain Juppé 5 votes (16.7%)
François Goulard 3 votes (10.0%)
Bruno Gollnisch 0 vote (0.0%)

Second round

2 candidates:

[b]Alain Juppé [/b] (<-> Charles de Gaulle, big leader of the gaullist right)
Laurent Fabius (<-> François Mitterrand, already old leader of the left, but not first leader, and trying to come back)

Jean-Christophe Lagarde (<-> Jean Lecanuet, not very well known centre-right man, rising star, at ease in the medias)
Bruno Gollnisch (<-> Jean-Louis Tixier-Vignancour, strong and "vocal" figure of the far-right)
François Goulard (<-> Pierre Marcilhacy, individualistic and unknown politician from the pro-European centre-right, who often dissents with the right)

José Bové (<-> Marcel Barbu, populist and so-called "generous" guy from the civil society, weirdly elected, based on strong "communities")

You have 2 votes, that you cast for only one candidate or split between the two candidates.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 08:38:46 AM »

2 votes for Jean-Christophe Lagarde

Lagarde Président !
Drancy à Paris !
(oups)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 08:50:37 AM »

Bové-Lagarde making the run-off, well, I enjoy it ! Cheesy

(Of course, Cry because of Juppé bad score, even worse than Chirac's usual 19...)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 09:10:32 AM »

The campaign for the 2nd round has been disturbed by other debates, but the vote is now open.

The first numbers are in favour of the young Lagarde (2x2 votes), but many precincts haven't reported or are even keeping on voting. And those precincts may not be pro-Lagarde.

Stay tuned !
(And cast your 2 votes Wink)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:41:18 AM »

OK, guys, that's clear for everyone now Smiley. Thanks.

So,

The campaign for the 2nd round has been disturbed by other debates, but the vote is now open.

The first numbers are in favour of the young Lagarde (2x2 votes), but many precincts haven't reported or are even keeping on voting. And those precincts may not be pro-Lagarde.

Stay tuned !
(And cast your 2 votes Wink)

Please,
Antonio, PGSable, Kalwejt, Xahar and others, you may cast 2 votes (2-0 or 1-1) in this second round between
Jean-Christophe Lagarde (NC, deputy-mayor of Drancy) and José Bové (div.écol., MEP for south-west)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2009, 04:30:36 AM »

Part One:
Official results of the first round

5 voters
José Bové 9 votes (30.0%)
Jean-Christophe Lagarde 7 votes (23.3%)

Laurent Fabius 6 votes (20.0%)
Alain Juppé 5 votes (16.7%)
François Goulard 3 votes (10.0%)
Bruno Gollnisch 0 vote (0.0%)

A surprising second round between a centrist rising star and a rebellious former peasant close to the far-left.

Official results of the second round

3 voters
Jean-Christophe Lagarde 4 votes (66.7%)
José Bové 2 votes (33.3%)

In a very low turnout, Jean-Christophe Lagarde becomes the first French president elected in a universal suffrage election.

Vive la République ! Vive la France !
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 03:10:18 AM »
« Edited: September 23, 2009, 03:21:35 AM by big bad fab »

I should have said that, in 1969, a referendum occurred on the bill agreeing on the treaty allowing the UK, Ireland, Norway, Denmark and... Turkey inside the EEC.

This referendum was heavily lost by the President (No: 59.7%, Yes: 40.3%).
The President personally intervened during the campaign and obliged his governement and his majority to campaign for the yes" vote", whereas many dissented and reminded him that, during the 1965 campaign, he agreed on the UK but not on Turkey inside the EEC.

President Jean-Christophe Lagarde resigned and Gérard LARCHER, Senate's president, was put in charge as interim President.

Vive la République ! Vive la France !

For the new polls, François Fillon, Prime Minister until 1968, was picked as the candidate of the mainstream right, opposed to Turkey's entry inside the EEC.

On the left, the nomination of Peillon, favorable to an alliance with the centre, prompted the dissident candidacy of the left of the PS, Benoît Hamon.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies