Is 2010 the year for women?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:30:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Is 2010 the year for women?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is 2010 the year for women?  (Read 2144 times)
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »

I just notice, it seems like alot more women are running and could win senate/governor races and alot of them are Republican women. Could 2010 be the start of something new for Republican women?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:17:39 PM »

Most certainly possible. It seems that the Republican leadership and Republican base has made a decision to explicitly embrace and encourage women, and this has given a lot of Republican women the courage to announce runs for office.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 10:21:17 PM »

California Republicans can hope to do well with CEOs of large multi-national corporations with Whitman and Fiorna, but they won't do so great with other types of people.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:22:52 AM »

Democratic Women (2010)
Governor-
1)FL(Sink)
2)NM(Denish)
3)VT(Markowitz)
4)WI(Lawton)
US Senator
5)MO(Carnahan)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:53:21 AM »

MA: I would have loved to see Vicki Kennedy taking the interim senate position, but Coakly will do just fine. and Brunner, will have to win an uphill battle against Fisher still a possibility.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 10:01:18 AM »

I just notice, it seems like alot more women are running and could win senate/governor races and alot of them are Republican women. Could 2010 be the start of something new for Republican women?

There is a lot of opportunity for Republican women in the Northeast, simply because being a woman makes you look more moderate (or makes it "more okay" that you're pro-life).  You simply can't run a statewide Gov/LG ticket up here without one of the candidates being a woman.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 02:54:04 PM »

There is a lot of opportunity for Republican women in the Northeast, simply because being a woman makes you look more moderate (or makes it "more okay" that you're pro-life).  You simply can't run a statewide Gov/LG ticket up here without one of the candidates being a woman.

Also you have states like: NC, GA, TN, OK and FL who all have women running or could run for higher office like Senate/Governor seats.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 03:27:31 PM »

Democratic Women (2010)
Governor-
1)FL(Sink)
2)NM(Denish)
3)VT(Markowitz)
4)WI(Lawton)
US Senator
5)MO(Carnahan)

Republican Women(2010)
Governor-
Mary Falin(OK)
Meg Whitman(CA)
Kay B Huchinson(TX)
Niki Haley(SC)

Senate-
Kelly Ayotte(NH)
Jane Norton(CO)
Carly Fiorina(CA)
Linda McMahon(CT)
Sue Lowden(NV) Maybe?

Feel free to add to the list
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 05:16:18 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2009, 05:20:47 PM by BeccaM »

I think this list pretty much covers the likely female candidates that have a non-negligible shot at having an impact on the race. The ones in bold are who I think have the best odds at actually winning their respective races (within this list).

Senate:

Cheryle Robinson (D-IL)
Martha Coakley (D-MA)
Robin Carnahan (D-MO)

Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) - facing election for the first time
Elaine Marshall (D-NC)
Jennifer Brunner (D-OH)

Carly Fiorina (R-CA)
Jane Norton (R-CO)
Linda McMahon (R-CT)
Sue Lowden (R-NV)
Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)

Elizabeth Ames Jones (R-TX)
Florence Shapiro (R-TX)

Coakley, Gillibrand, and Carnahan will likely win. Brunner and Robinson will probably lose their primaries and Marshall will come up short in the general.  Ayotte, Norton, and Lowden seem like strong Republican candidates but are too unknown to predict. Fiorina and McMahon are interesting but I can't see them putting up much of a fight, though I'd love to be surprised by Linda. The Republican primary in the Texas special election will be too much of an insane bloodbath to judge now.

Governor:

Susan Bysiewicz (D-CT)
Alex Sink (D-FL)
Elizabeth Mitchell (D-ME)
Diane Denish (D-NM)

Catherine Corez Masto (D-NV)
Kate Marshall (D-NV)
Jari Askins (D-OK)
Deborah Markowitz (D-VT)
Barbara Lawton (D-WI)

Kay Ivey (R-AL)
Jan Brewer (R-AZ)
Meg Whitman (R-CA)
Karen Handel (R-GA)

Pat Anderson (R-MN)
Susana Martinezna (R-NM)
Mary Fallin (R-OK)
Nikki Haley (R-SC)
Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX)

Hutchison, Denish, Fallin, and Handel are major frontrunners. Lawton and Markowitz seem to be as well, though I don't know much about those races. Whitman is a longshot but since she's a new face, a lot will depend on her campaign. The others probably won't make it through their primaries.

I like seeing more women entering high profile races. There are only four women governors right now, three of which are generally accepted as unimpressive. And two weren't even initially elected.
politicalchick20
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 09:57:46 PM »

I think this list pretty much covers the likely female candidates that have a non-negligible shot at having an impact on the race. The ones in bold are who I think have the best odds at actually winning their respective races (within this list).

Senate:

Cheryle Robinson (D-IL)
Martha Coakley (D-MA)
Robin Carnahan (D-MO)

Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) - facing election for the first time
Elaine Marshall (D-NC)
Jennifer Brunner (D-OH)

Carly Fiorina (R-CA)
Jane Norton (R-CO)
Linda McMahon (R-CT)
Sue Lowden (R-NV)
Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)

Elizabeth Ames Jones (R-TX)
Florence Shapiro (R-TX)

Coakley, Gillibrand, and Carnahan will likely win. Brunner and Robinson will probably lose their primaries and Marshall will come up short in the general.  Ayotte, Norton, and Lowden seem like strong Republican candidates but are too unknown to predict. Fiorina and McMahon are interesting but I can't see them putting up much of a fight, though I'd love to be surprised by Linda. The Republican primary in the Texas special election will be too much of an insane bloodbath to judge now.

Governor:

Susan Bysiewicz (D-CT)
Alex Sink (D-FL)
Elizabeth Mitchell (D-ME)
Diane Denish (D-NM)

Catherine Corez Masto (D-NV)
Kate Marshall (D-NV)
Jari Askins (D-OK)
Deborah Markowitz (D-VT)
Barbara Lawton (D-WI)

Kay Ivey (R-AL)
Jan Brewer (R-AZ)
Meg Whitman (R-CA)
Karen Handel (R-GA)

Pat Anderson (R-MN)
Susana Martinezna (R-NM)
Mary Fallin (R-OK)
Nikki Haley (R-SC)
Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX)

Hutchison, Denish, Fallin, and Handel are major frontrunners. Lawton and Markowitz seem to be as well, though I don't know much about those races. Whitman is a longshot but since she's a new face, a lot will depend on her campaign. The others probably won't make it through their primaries.

I like seeing more women entering high profile races. There are only four women governors right now, three of which are generally accepted as unimpressive. And two weren't even initially elected.

There's one other woman I can think of who's running for governor--Debra Medina (R-TX). She has no chance against Hutchison and/or Perry, of course, and actively pushing for Texas to secede from the union won't exactly endear herself to many people (then again, it has before, I guess)
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »

If Hailey wins the Republican Nomination in 2010, she's kick Jim Rex's ass.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies