Who Is the Most Economically Liberal Republican Politician In Office Right Now?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:16:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Who Is the Most Economically Liberal Republican Politician In Office Right Now?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who Is the Most Economically Liberal Republican Politician In Office Right Now?  (Read 24035 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 04:45:29 AM »

Actually, I'm pretty sure Philip qualifies as the most far-right libertarian on the forum, and he's so far right that I'd never live in any country he governed. Mech and I probably tie for most left-leaning.

In my experience, Philip tends to be more balanced in the positions he endorses while Bono mostly fights his battles over economic issues (he once professed to not caring about same-sex marriage).

He does, however, have a lot of that HURR CHRISTIANITY HURR attitude that's common among those on the paleocon spectrum.

I don't know if I've ever seen Philip post anything on the topic of religion, but Bono is someone who seriously takes part in theological discussions. I don't recall what his theological leanings are, though.
Coburn In 2012

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »

That's sad when you can link Coburn and the word liberal in any sense.

Yeah it is actually a crime to connect him in any way with liberalism, but he would meet my definition of economic liberalism.

There is nothing liberal about the greatest patriot in the Senate.  Coburn is anti welfare, anti nanny state, anti liberal in every way.  Plus like a true conservative he wants every dime accounted for and he wants people to answer for how they spend.

He is the anti pork crusader.  How can you call that liberal.  Liberal = pork.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »

That's sad when you can link Coburn and the word liberal in any sense.

Yeah it is actually a crime to connect him in any way with liberalism, but he would meet my definition of economic liberalism.

There is nothing liberal about the greatest patriot in the Senate.  Coburn is anti welfare, anti nanny state, anti liberal in every way.  Plus like a true conservative he wants every dime accounted for and he wants people to answer for how they spend.

He is the anti pork crusader.  How can you call that liberal.  Liberal = pork.

Ever heard of Thad Cochran, or Saxby Chambliss? Both are conservatives, both are porkers.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 10:01:11 PM »

Interesting thread to read!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 10:08:27 PM »

Jim Douglas, maybe Cao
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2010, 12:44:29 AM »

John Hoeven has never particularly shied away from fiscal spending, especially for education and infrastructure projects.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2010, 10:42:38 AM »

Based on support of the stimulus and at least passing support of health care reform, Snowe.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 10:10:51 AM »

John Hoeven has never particularly shied away from fiscal spending, especially for education and infrastructure projects.

North Dakota is certainly better off for it. Hoeven for President in 2016!!!!

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 01:05:28 PM »

North Dakota Every state is certainly better off for it. Hoeven Vote Democratic for President in 2016!!!!

Corrected.
perdedor

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 11:50:41 AM »

To make an rather boring and predictable point, it depends on definition of "liberal", assuming we are using the term to mean "left-wing", I can't think of many. I know Cao voted for the stimulus, but I can't think of any current Republican that would fit in with the *old Republican party of the mid to late 1800's (pro-tariff, anti-trust, anti-big business).

*I understand that these aren't universal principles of that century's Republican Party (namely the likes of Rutherford Hayes and James Garfield)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 04:26:09 PM »

To make an rather boring and predictable point, it depends on definition of "liberal", assuming we are using the term to mean "left-wing", I can't think of many. I know Cao voted for the stimulus, but I can't think of any current Republican that would fit in with the *old Republican party of the mid to late 1800's (pro-tariff, anti-trust, anti-big business).

*I understand that these aren't universal principles of that century's Republican Party (namely the likes of Rutherford Hayes and James Garfield)

late 19thc GOP: anti-monopoly? yes. anti-big business? no.

as for the original question: Snowe.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 04:32:46 PM »

Pro-tariff equals anti big business?
Are you f***ing kidding me? I thought the point of a high protective tariff was to make American business bigger.
James Rivington
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 3.43

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 04:39:33 PM »

pro-tariff, anti-trust, anti-big business

Does not follow.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »

You can only choose from both houses of Congress and any governor of any U.S. state.

When I said "Economically Liberal" I mean someone who supports an economic policy that favors ordinary Americans at the expense of the rich.

Using that definition, Ron Paul.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »

You can only choose from both houses of Congress and any governor of any U.S. state.

When I said "Economically Liberal" I mean someone who supports an economic policy that favors ordinary Americans at the expense of the rich.

Using that definition, Ron Paul.

Haha very funny.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 06:00:53 PM »

I'm still not clear but what "economically liberal" means in the context of this thread.

Are "ordinary Americans" small businesspeople, middle class, working class, the poor, or what?

I would say Ron Paul for non-corporatist definitions, but he would certainly seem to favor businesspeople over workers.  Not sure if we're using a more left-leaning populist definition.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 05:28:22 PM »

Not counting his anti-free trade votes.  It's not his intention to protect labor in those cases.
Yes it is.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 05:58:31 PM »

I'm still not clear but what "economically liberal" means in the context of this thread.

Are "ordinary Americans" small businesspeople, middle class, working class, the poor, or what?

I would say Ron Paul for non-corporatist definitions, but he would certainly seem to favor businesspeople over workers.  Not sure if we're using a more left-leaning populist definition.

Yes, ordinary people are small businesspeople, middle class, working class, and the poor in the context of this question.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies