Cheney Daughter Remark (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:49:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Cheney Daughter Remark (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cheney Daughter Remark  (Read 33909 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« on: October 14, 2004, 06:53:25 PM »

If he had said something that was incorrect, or had made a negative comment about her, that would be one thing. But he didn't.

His statement was factually correct and was not a criticism in any way. Complete nonissue.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 02:08:00 AM »

My memory is imperfect and fading.. but...

Kerry's first wife suffered from depression if I recall.

In the context of a question related to health care, would it have been "correct" for Bush to say..

"Senator, since your ex-wife suffered from depression, you know what I speak of when I say..blah...blah about mental health...."

As long as Kerry had already candidly spoken about his ex-wife's mental health on the campaign trail, it would be fine. Cheney had already come out and admitted that his daughter was gay voluntarily, and had talked about it in speeches.

It's not the bedroom police at all; Cheney has brought it up himself, and nothing that Kerry said was incorrect, or even negative. If he had criticized her sexual orientation, that would be completely different.

I agree that Kerry probably specifically  mentioned Cheney's daughter as a way of highlighting division within the ticket (and also in the hopes that the reminder of this fact, coupled with the Cheneys' complete acceptance of her sexuality, might dampen Religious Right enthusiasm for the ticket). But, as he said nothing that was not already well known and acknowledged by the Vice President himself, I don't see why it was wrong.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 02:09:21 AM »

Here is what Kerry said:

"And I think if you were to talk to Dick Cheney‘s daughter, who is a lesbian, she would tell you that she‘s being who she was, she‘s being who she was born as."

He's suggesting that Bush doesn't talk with Cheney's family.  He's putting words into her mouth.  He's using her to express his opinion.

I don't think the "you" here was supposed to be Bush. He wasn't looking at Bush, or addressing him directly. The "you" was supposed to be all of the viewers and audience.

As for putting word's in Mary's mouth, if Mary says that Kerry is wrong, and that her homosexuality was indeed a choice on her part, then Kerry's remarks will have been wrong and in bad taste, I will agree.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 10:05:06 AM »

If the person brings up family first in the middle of a discussion, then it is ok for the other person to comment on the family.  Cheney was not on stage with Kerry, so therefore it was not ok for Kerry to mention his family.

It is just that simple.

Well, my personal feeling is that it's ok as long as any statements made are completely factual and are not negative criticisms in any way, as these were.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2004, 11:05:49 AM »

My memory is imperfect and fading.. but...

Kerry's first wife suffered from depression if I recall.

In the context of a question related to health care, would it have been "correct" for Bush to say..

"Senator, since your ex-wife suffered from depression, you know what I speak of when I say..blah...blah about mental health...."

A perfect point no one has responded to Smiley

Still waiting Wink

I did.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies