Cheney Daughter Remark (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:54:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Cheney Daughter Remark (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cheney Daughter Remark  (Read 33895 times)
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 14, 2004, 07:14:39 PM »

My view on the comment.  Kerry mentioned Mary Cheney as a subtile way to highlight the "division" in the Republican party on the issue, and what better way to show this than pointing out the different point of view between the President and the Vice President?  One is for a Constitutional amendment, and the other one isn't.

Since most of the nation knows their two different views, all Kerry had to do was mention the name.  The rest of his response is a reasonable explanation for how he feels, and would have been a great stand-alone response to the question.  Dropping Mary's name was a tactic.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 09:57:27 AM »

If the person brings up family first in the middle of a discussion, then it is ok for the other person to comment on the family.  Cheney was not on stage with Kerry, so therefore it was not ok for Kerry to mention his family.

It is just that simple.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »

If the person brings up family first in the middle of a discussion, then it is ok for the other person to comment on the family.  Cheney was not on stage with Kerry, so therefore it was not ok for Kerry to mention his family.

It is just that simple.

Please. That seems a little bit too post hoc of a ruling to me. Cheney didn't mind when Edwards brought it up.  Lynn Cheney has always acted a little wacko on this issue. Maybe this will help bring to light her past on this and her strange behavior in government, too.

And what was Cheney's response to it?  He told Edwards "Thanks," and he did not continue on with the remaining time he had available to respond to the issue.  He did a very classy move without slamming Edwards on the stage.

However, I go back to what I said before, Cheney wasn't on the stage with Bush, so Kerry should not have brought her up.  The rest of his answer was appropriate.  He only threw in that first line regarding Cheney's daughter as a tool to show that Bush and his VP disagree on a very hot topic.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies