Cheney Daughter Remark (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:50:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Cheney Daughter Remark (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cheney Daughter Remark  (Read 33913 times)
Acastus
csmith476
Rookie

« on: October 14, 2004, 04:49:16 PM »
« edited: October 14, 2004, 04:53:34 PM by Acastus of Thessaly »

Drudge is really pushing the Cheney daughter remark issue.  I see it on a bunch of blogs, and now there is an AP story about it.  Is this "angry mom" story really going to have any legs?  If it does have legs, will it have any impact? I can't imagine it, though stranger things have happened.
Acastus
csmith476
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 07:40:31 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2004, 07:45:26 AM by Acastus of Thessaly »

First Mort Kondracke mentions it on FOX, Carl Cameron sees an opening and uses it many times and then suddenly republicans in this forum start to repeat it. See the connection?

Uhh - wait a minute there, jerky.  The Associated Press put out a story on this issue BEFORE I posted anything about it (see my original post).  I was 100% within my rights to bring an issue to this forum for discussion when it has already hit mainstream media.  And considering this string has grown to a respectable length (even if some of the content is the usual, counterproductive partisan invective), I'm glad I did.  People obviously wanted to address it.
Acastus
csmith476
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 07:40:01 PM »

Whether it was right or wrong for Kerry to make the remark is immaterial.  What is important is: 1) whether the story has legs, 2) whether a substantial proportion of likely voters believe it was a low blow, and 3) whether those voters who believe it was a low blow will be decisively influenced by the event when they cast their vote. 

So far the answers seems to be: 1) yes, 2) yes (see quoted ABC poll) and 3) unknown at this time.  I still tend to be skeptical about whether this will truly have any effect (as the DUI story did in 2000), but I didn't think the story would have legs either Tongue.
Acastus
csmith476
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2004, 07:50:18 PM »

And another thing.  Isn't it funny that the media constantly complains that modern American political discourse has largely become devoid of real substance, and yet in a presidential debate they end up obsessing about candidate's facial expressions and remarks like Kerry's that have very little to do with substance?  Maybe I'm taking a cheap shot at the media here, but it seems they fuel the "vacuous debate" fire as much as any innate public demand for such material.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies