Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:53:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377414 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #100 on: November 03, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »

Anyways, Hamilton and Moderate votes are too late, so the Bill passed 2-1.

lol, 37.5% turnout

50%. I turned out. I just edited my vote afterward.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »

With two Ayes, and one Nay, and one abstention, this Bill has passed. I present it to the Governor for his Signature or Veto.

I urge the governor to veto this bill and allow Mr. Moderate and the others who didn't the chance to vote.

Should the Veto Override Amendment be next on the agenda?

I want it vetoed because I wanted to propose an amendment. I spent the weekend at home and did not access the computer much, so did not have a chance to do this as I wanted.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2009, 05:09:19 PM »

I remember talking with cinyc about this previously, and it's obviously necessary to include bur we are running on the assumption that the Seats number amendment passes. I don't think it would effect many other numbers, though, anyway.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2009, 07:18:32 PM »

I'm offering this amendment:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by a more than two-thirds majority vote, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »

I call for an emergency vote on this resolution.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: November 04, 2009, 08:15:07 PM »

Aye.

We must move on. We must not let the free market fall due to a revolution beyond our control. If we make the first motion for piece with the revolutionary army, we will not be targeted, but embraced. The benefits are on our side on this one.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »

The vote is to open debate, under emergency procedings, yes? So one can oppose the Motion but vote in favour of the question in order to debate the motion?

Actually, this is a final vote. That's how I read his post, anyway.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2009, 01:48:27 AM »

Fine. Keep the game boring... There's just gonna be a bunch of useless posts about some supposed crisis that will actually have no effect on the game at-large and there be irrelevant and not spice thing sup, but seeing as that seems to be what people want...

Seriously, why do we have a GM that creates events? Just to read about supposed troops entering some place? I mean, let's do some sh**t with this event.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2009, 02:00:44 AM »

Fine. Keep the game boring... There's just gonna be a bunch of useless posts about some supposed crisis that will actually have no effect on the game at-large and there be irrelevant and not spice thing sup, but seeing as that seems to be what people want...

Seriously, why do we have a GM that creates events? Just to read about supposed troops entering some place? I mean, let's do some sh**t with this event.

I am following what I would do in the real life situation. That is, any attempt to dismember the union, I would not support.

Okay, but there wouldn't be a RANM in real life either. Tongue

I just think it's useless to even have the GM do these things if nothing interesting is going to be done with it.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2009, 02:08:20 AM »

I am following what I would do in the real life situation. That is, any attempt to dismember the union, I would not support.

Okay, but there wouldn't be a RANM in real life either. Tongue

I just think it's useless to even have the GM do these things if nothing interesting is going to be done with it.

Yes... But what would become of the Northeast?

That's what we'd find out, isn't it? Wink
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2009, 12:57:38 PM »

I already offered that amendment, Antonio. Smiley
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2009, 01:23:49 PM »

I'm offering this amendment:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by a more than two-thirds majority vote, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.

This is almost the same, but didn't take into account the "turnout" objection, which I consider to make sense. Could I ask Rep Cinyc which version he prefers ?

The main reason I oppose turn out objections are because they allow for a filibuster of sorts.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2009, 04:02:08 PM »

The best way to deal with it might be to add "more than" to the constitutional language and create a quorum requirement in the SOAP (or the Constitution, if necessary)- for ALL bills.  There should NEVER be a bill that passes without a vote of less than half our members.

Agreed, 100%.

No. either 100% or no "quorum." Come on, all that does is open the door ofor legislative tactics that change how legislation is actually voted on. I want the chance to vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. i don't want to worry about whether or not to vote at all due to a quorum. If there are 3 votes in favor and 1 Nay, and I vote Nay, that passes the bill. or I could just not vote. That doesn't relaly benefit the legislative body, though.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2009, 12:40:52 PM »

Would that mean a 4–2 override vote would go to the Lt. Governor for tie breaking?

That actually sounds like a good idea, intentional or not.  I definitely don't think 4 votes is enough for an override though.  So with 4 the Lt. Governor deciding sounds good to me.

Yep, this was a good idea.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2009, 03:34:25 PM »

I propose this amendment:

Article V is hereby amended by insertion as new Section xv:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by more than a two-thirds majority vote, it becomes law without the Governor's signature. An override vote resulting in an exactly two-thirds majority shall be considered a tie for this purpose, to be broken by vote of the Lieutenant Governor.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2009, 05:47:39 PM »

Aye
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2009, 06:45:35 PM »

Motion to table. Sorry, Antonio, but this bill doesn't do anything and we need to get to the legislation in the queue that will make an impact on the average Northeasterner.

I'd be willing to work on creating separate voting requirements for our region independent of the SoFA office, but this resolution is quite pointless.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: November 08, 2009, 08:16:18 PM »

Besides, in real life, most voters don't follow politics at all. They still get to vote. That's part of campaigning, and probably the fun part-- talking to voters about your record, working on the undecideds, and basically escaping the stupid, cliquey atmosphere of this board.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: November 08, 2009, 08:20:47 PM »

I hope I am not stepping across any guidelines, but I have input on the Northeast initiative for Ethics in Voting. I believe that this initiative, although with good intentions, does nothing to combat the problem at hand. It recognizes a problem, but provides no regional law against the problem. Until we take stronger action, and take this issue out of the hands of the Federal Gov't, nothing will get done.

You can comment here, but I already acknowledged that.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2009, 11:54:01 AM »

bump for antonio
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2009, 02:04:09 PM »

It's a bit hard to build that case as a JCP member. There are the largest perpetrators.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2009, 02:14:33 AM »

Still can't support. I don't want to see the whole nation purged, leaving, what, 20 people? Come on.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2009, 05:33:35 PM »

Aye
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »

Voters in the Northeast have proven that they aren't party hacks but voters who will vote on the issues.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »

I'm introducing this amendment:

Whereas :
- The action of asking people that absolutely don't take part in Atlasian politics to vote for one candidate in order to serve one person's political interest is a clear threat for democracy.
- Recent events permitted to put on light how common said practices have become.
- Northeast Region is particularly concerned by said practices.
- The absence of specific legislation on this domain at the federal level is the main cause of said practices.

The Northeast Legislative Assembly states that:
- The Northeast Region officially urges the Senate to pass a law that will restrict voting rights to people who really take part in Atlasia outside voting booths.

The Northeast Legislative Assembly establishes that:
- The Northeast Region shall establish independent voting requirements for the region, to be effective beginning January 2010, requiring a voter to be removed of privilege of voting in Northeastern regional elections if that voter should miss two consecutive regional elections. The citizen may re-register at any time and have voting privilege reinstated.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies