Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:29:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 379164 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2009, 09:54:19 PM »

Excuse me, but no. I proposed this amendment as soon as the vote was closed on the previous one. I motion to suspend SOAP and vote on it. There is no reason that I should have to interrupt on-going votes to introduce amendments that won't be voted on until after anyways.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2009, 10:58:41 PM »

Excuse me, but no. I proposed this amendment as soon as the vote was closed on the previous one. I motion to suspend SOAP and vote on it. There is no reason that I should have to interrupt on-going votes to introduce amendments that won't be voted on until after anyways.

The rules clearly state, that at the end of the debating period, all proposed amendments are voted on, and then we move on immediately to a final vote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Then this is a problem with the SOAP that needs addressed. Many amendments are the result of other amendments passing, such as this one.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »

Then this is a problem with the SOAP that needs addressed. Many amendments are the result of other amendments passing, such as this one.

Nothing prohibits you from offering an amendment conditioned on the passing of another or working with the person proposing an amendment to get your language added.

Time is of the essence here.  I doubt we're going to get through half of the proposed legislation queue this session.

I would not have introduced this amendment if that one hadn't passed. Does SOAP have a provision for conditional amendments?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »

Anyways... as for time concerns.

It will take far less time to deal with this now than for me to put this in the queue as an amendment and forced to spend at least 36 hours on this.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #129 on: November 12, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »

I don't support your Amendment, Hamilton, since it is useless and likely unconstitutionnal. I think most of my fellow Reps think like me.

No, see. Your legislation here is useless. My amendment creates a policy that attempts to relieve the burdens of inactive voters. Without my provision, this legislation is hollow and pointless.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: November 12, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »

I don't support your Amendment, Hamilton, since it is useless and likely unconstitutionnal. I think most of my fellow Reps think like me.

No, see. Your legislation here is useless. My amendment creates a policy that attempts to relieve the burdens of inactive voters. Without my provision, this legislation is hollow and pointless.

"Inactive voters" are not the problem. The problem is not who doesn't vote, but who votes even though he doesn't care at all of Atlasia. Your idea doesn't solve anything, solves a problem that isn't one, and is just a pretext.
And you perfectly know all that.

I don't get how you could be so concerned with this and still remain in the JCP. If you want to take a stand on this, you need to be the change you seek.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: November 12, 2009, 04:22:32 PM »

"Inactive voters" are not the problem. The problem is not who doesn't vote, but who votes even though he doesn't care at all of Atlasia. Your idea doesn't solve anything, solves a problem that isn't one, and is just a pretext.
And you perfectly know all that.

I don't get how you could be so concerned with this and still remain in the JCP. If you want to take a stand on this, you need to be the change you seek.

This is not the right thread to start again a personal controversy as you are used to. I would answer very easily to this but we represent the Northeast and now need to vote on a text, as specified in the SOAP.

It takes 5 seconds to change your registration to Independent.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »

Nay

Unless you A) support issue knowledge tests in order to vote in real life or B) want people to SPAM this board, there is no reason to support this.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2009, 07:32:22 PM »

Aye.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »

This is not the time for this bill. You skipped my bills.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »

Nay.

Next time open debate on the bills in the proper order and I might consider them.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »

Nay.

Next time open debate on the bills in the proper order and I might consider them.

Next time don't go running away from the Assembly, making us all think you've been permanently banned when you haven't been.  Then, things will get taken up in the proper order.  When you were supposedly banned, the Lt. Governor made the correct decision to skip over your bills.  Had you posted the truth at that time or PMed the Lt. Governor about your status, they would never had been.  You never responded or posted a notice of absence.

I did make it very clear that I wouldn't be able to post much while I was at home. My mom had emergency surgery and I had to help take care of her, plus there was some "drama" that I don't need to get in to.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2009, 01:10:17 AM »

Does this Assembly have a way of expelling members?

We do have the power of impeachment. Also, a member is automatically expelled if they miss three votes on Legislation in a row and/or they don't give substantive debate in the Assembly for one month.

Speaking of this, it would seem that Hamilton has missed the last three final votes on Legislation - the Northeastern Green Jobs Act, the Northeast Gun Safety Act and the Reasonable Amending Procedure Amendment. Of course, he did vote on the final vote of the Resolution in Support of Cape Wind, however generally speaking, Resolutions do not constitute legislation, as I mentioned in the Governor's thread.

If the House moved for his expulsion under section xiii of Article V of the Constitution, he would no doubt appeal this ruling, which would leave the Court to determine the definition of "Legislation."

Section xiii of Article V reads:

A provision which is largely unenforced.

Besides, how can I appeal? We don't have an active CJO? How can I appeal an expulsion for inactivity to an inactive CJO that no one seemed to want to do anything about even though I suggested a while back that Verily be replaced?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2009, 01:49:32 AM »

We do have the power of impeachment. Also, a member is automatically expelled if they miss three votes on Legislation in a row and/or they don't give substantive debate in the Assembly for one month.

Speaking of this, it would seem that Hamilton has missed the last three final votes on Legislation - the Northeastern Green Jobs Act, the Northeast Gun Safety Act and the Reasonable Amending Procedure Amendment. Of course, he did vote on the final vote of the Resolution in Support of Cape Wind, however generally speaking, Resolutions do not constitute legislation, as I mentioned in the Governor's thread.

If the House moved for his expulsion under section xiii of Article V of the Constitution, he would no doubt appeal this ruling, which would leave the Court to determine the definition of "Legislation."

I would argue that breaking the ToS of the forum, as well as other clear indications of inappropriate actions would warrant impeachment easily enough.

Yet you voted for benconstine... He not only broke the ToS, but tried to cheat the game.

Get out of here you hypocrite (and terrible GM).
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2009, 01:57:08 AM »

I would argue that breaking the ToS of the forum, as well as other clear indications of inappropriate actions would warrant impeachment easily enough.

Yet you voted for benconstine... He not only broke the ToS, but tried to cheat the game.

And benconstine was repentant, convicted and served his time. You seem thoroughly convinced that you did nothing wrong...

If you could clear something up for me Hammy, have you had a nervous breakdown from a game or do you simply get a kick out of creating alternative personalities? I was amused at first, but now I am pretty bored with the display. There is only so long that I can enjoy watching a person crumble in a blaze of loathing and stupidity.

benconstine committed a crime. I have not broken any laws. You are just mad because I used swingvoter to make fun of you.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2009, 02:04:09 AM »

And benconstine was repentant, convicted and served his time. You seem thoroughly convinced that you did nothing wrong...

If you could clear something up for me Hammy, have you had a nervous breakdown from a game or do you simply get a kick out of creating alternative personalities? I was amused at first, but now I am pretty bored with the display. There is only so long that I can enjoy watching a person crumble in a blaze of loathing and stupidity.

benconstine committed a crime. I have not broken any laws. You are just mad because I used swingvoter to make fun of you.

Swing Voter made fun of me? I don't know if I'm just blanking or didn't see them, but now I'm curious. Please link me to the threads in question so I can enjoy the mockery.

The entire persona was making fun of you. The RPP caught on (private forum discussions show that they thought he was YOUR sock lol).

Similar name, New York, fake "centrist" Moderate Hero type that was obviously a far-leftist, hyper-partisan, always acts like he's right. It was pretty clearly intended to mock you.

That being said, the PMs posted show that I had no intention of registering the account and with that, I have done nothing wrong related to this game.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2009, 02:12:27 AM »

Swing Voter made fun of me? I don't know if I'm just blanking or didn't see them, but now I'm curious. Please link me to the threads in question so I can enjoy the mockery.

The entire persona was making fun of you. The RPP caught on (private forum discussions show that they thought he was YOUR sock lol).

Similar name, New York, fake "centrist" Moderate Hero type that was obviously a far-leftist, hyper-partisan, always acts like he's right. It was pretty clearly intended to mock you.

That being said, the PMs posted show that I had no intention of registering the account and with that, I have done nothing wrong related to this game.

*shrug*
Over my head. I don't follow forum affairs closely enough to catch on to these sorts of things. Life and all that stuff, ya know.

I know you had no intention of registering in Atlasia. That was never my point. You broke the ToS, are a detriment to this game and an embarrassment to this body and so it is fitting that this body impeach you. End of story as far as I am concerned.

Yet you embrace those who cheat the game, break the ToS, advocate burning entire cities, and embarrassed the Mideast region more than any other individual in Atlasian history (even MasterJedi!). End of story as far as I am concerned.

You have no case here. You like to cause problems, so you barge into the business of other regions. For your information, I have produced more legislation than any other Representative and even if impeached, will easily be re-elected. So I suggest this entire "issue" be dropped.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »

This bill simply brings our region's minimum wage laws up to date with the federal law and makes certain we won't ever fall behind again. As a region of progress, we cannot allow our labor standards to appear less than the nation as a whole.

Antonio, you did not have permission to tamper with my legislation and I believe that a different bill is first in the queue.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2009, 03:44:30 PM »

The actual next bill is this:

Northeastern Home Ownership Protection Act of 2009

Co-sponsored by Reps. Hamilton and Mr. Moderate

Section A: Purpose
1. The Northeast Region believes that the current economic downturn is due, in part, to instability in the housing market. As such, the government of the Northeast believes it to be in the regions best interest to provide short-term stabilization to the market where possible. The Northeastern Home Ownership Protection Act of 2009, hereinafter "the Act," is tasked with providing property tax relief to homeowners on the verge of losing their homes due to the economic downturn. This relief will be provided in the form of one-time property tax credits for at-risk Northeasterners to lower monthly mortgage payments.

Section B: Qualification
1. To qualify for funds provided by the Act, homeowners must meet the following criteria:
    a. The property in question must be the homeowner's primary residence (i.e., summer homes and rental properties do not qualify).
    b. The homeowner must have maintained steady residence at the property for no less than 12 months.
    c. Applicants for funds provided in the Act must demonstrate need due to short-term circumstances arising from the economic downturn, such as (1) unemployment or underemployment, defined as an expected 2009 or 2010 yearly income of 85% or less of the applicant's 2008 or 2009 yearly income, respectively or (2) an increase in monthly mortgage payments of greater than 20% as compared to a year prior.
    d. Said homeowner must meet one of the following requirements:
       i. currently be in or applying for a qualified forebearance with their mortgage lender, or,
       ii. currently be in or applying for a modification plan with their mortgage lender.
    e. To qualify for funds under the Act, a mortgage lender must certify that there is a "reasonable probability" that the recipient will be able to stay in their home provided economic assistance.

Section C: Funding and disbursement
1. The Northeast Region shall provide and make available funds in the amount of $3 billion to towns for this purpose.
2. Funds shall be distributed on a first come, first serve basis.
3. No homeowner shall receive more than $400 per month, nor shall a homeowner receive more than $4,800 in total proceeds from the Act. No homeowner shall receive funds in excess of their FY2009 yearly property tax bill.
4. Funds shall be provided directly to local municipalities, which will in turn reduce the property tax due for qualified home owners. Mortgage companies which collect and pay these taxes on behalf of homeowners shall make an adjustment of said escrow payment within one month of a homeowner qualifying for this program.

Section D: Taxation
1. Funds dispersed through the Act shall be nontaxable for the purposes of the Northeastern Regional income tax.

Section E: Effective Date

1. The Act shall go into effect immediately upon passage, with payments retroactive to the first day of the month of the governor's signature.

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2009, 04:01:02 PM »

1. The Northeast Region believes that the current economic downturn is due, in part, to instability in the housing market. As such, the government of the Northeast believes it to be in the regions best interest to provide short-term stabilization to the market where possible. The Northeastern Home Ownership Protection Act of 2009, hereinafter "the Act," is tasked with providing property tax relief to homeowners on the verge of losing their homes due to the economic downturn. This relief will be provided in the form of one-time property tax credits for at-risk Northeasterners to lower monthly mortgage payments.

1. To qualify for funds provided by the Act, homeowners must meet the following criteria:
    a. The property in question must be the homeowner's primary residence (i.e., summer homes and rental properties do not qualify).
    b. The homeowner must have maintained steady residence at the property for no less than 12 months.
    c. Applicants for funds provided in the Act must demonstrate need due to short-term circumstances arising from the economic downturn, such as (1) unemployment or underemployment, defined as an expected 2009 or 2010 yearly income of 85% or less of the applicant's 2008 or 2009 yearly income, respectively or (2) an increase in monthly mortgage payments of greater than 20% as compared to a year prior.
       i. currently be in or applying for a qualified forebearance with their mortgage lender, or,
       ii. currently be in or applying for a modification plan with their mortgage lender.
    e. To qualify for funds under the Act, a mortgage lender must certify that there is a "reasonable probability" that the recipient will be able to stay in their home provided economic assistance.

1. The Northeast Region shall provide and make available funds in the amount of $3 billion to towns for this purpose.
3. No homeowner shall receive more than $400 per month, nor shall a homeowner receive more than $4,800 in total proceeds from the Act. No homeowner shall receive funds in excess of their FY2009 yearly property tax bill.
4. Funds shall be provided directly to local municipalities, which will in turn reduce the property tax due for qualified home owners. Mortgage companies which collect and pay these taxes on behalf of homeowners shall make an adjustment of said escrow payment within one month of a homeowner qualifying for this program.

1. Funds dispersed through the Act shall be nontaxable for the purposes of the Northeastern Regional income tax.

1. The Act shall go into effect immediately upon passage, with payments retroactive to the first day of the month of the governor's signature.

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2009, 04:20:03 PM »

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2009, 04:26:41 PM »

Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2009, 04:28:51 PM »

Stop taking up Assembly space debating a bill that won't even be up this session.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2009, 11:10:19 PM »

Well, as you can see, this is pretty straight forward. This was created to benefit those who have been hit hard by this economic downturn, by helping the unemployed keep their homes. This is a temporary aid package that is pro-family in nature and rooted in fairness, not handouts. It was the federal government's pathetic fiscal policies that created this poor economic environment and we shouldn't allow honest families to suffer because of that.

This bill has restrictions that prevent those who are not in dire need from taking advantage of the system and limitations regarding the amount of funding a family can receive. I believe this bill will successfully serve its purpose in keeping Northeastern families in their homes and hopefully help recreate the housing market in a stable way.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2009, 07:46:18 PM »

Aye
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies