Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:13:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378915 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #375 on: February 24, 2010, 02:07:28 AM »

Aye.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #376 on: February 24, 2010, 02:56:13 PM »

Guess old assembly term just expired :/

Indeed.  I suppose we can take the resolution up as the first item of business in the next Assembly, as per tradition, if you re-propose it in the queue.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #377 on: February 24, 2010, 10:09:55 PM »

Immediately after the Lt. Governor Libertas gavels in the Assembly.  I don't have any power to do so - I'm just an Assemblyman like everyone else right now.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #378 on: February 24, 2010, 10:12:45 PM »

All new and former Northeast Representatives should swear in on the official swear-in thread to take their offices, even if they swore in for last session.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #379 on: February 24, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »

I will run for reelection as speaker.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #380 on: February 24, 2010, 11:20:26 PM »

I don't think we're voting yet, just taking nominations and seconds.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #381 on: February 26, 2010, 03:16:37 PM »

Mr. Lt. Governor, when are we going to hold the speaker vote?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #382 on: February 26, 2010, 03:36:27 PM »

Well seeing as how you are the only nominee, I suppose we can declare you the Speaker by acclamation.

Unless you would prefer to hold a formal vote?

We have to hold a vote.  Write-ins are permitted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #383 on: February 26, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »

Official Ballot for Speaker of the Northeast Assembly:

[X] cinyc
[ ] Write-in:______
[ ] NOTA
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #384 on: February 27, 2010, 09:04:49 PM »

By the way, what about those Representatives who did not take an oath?

They need to take it ASAP.

First order of business, which is carryover business from the last Assembly:

Thanking Resolution

Northeast Assembly is hereby thanking Governor AndrewCT for his longtime and distinguished service for our region and the people.

Sponsor: Rep. Kalwejt

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 9:05 PM Eastern on Monday, March 1, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative Kalwejt, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #385 on: February 28, 2010, 01:51:51 PM »

I don't really think we need much of a debate on this. I'll vote Aye.

The debate period is 48 hours unless someone moves to shorten it and the chair agrees. 

A vote on any unfriendly amendments will begin at the end of the debate period, and close 24 hours later unless every Representative votes sooner.  A vote on final passage of the resolution will follow the amendment vote and also remain open for 24 hours.

That's how the Assembly rules work.  We only have one thread for all official Assembly business, so we only debate one thing at a time unless someone moves to consider another thing simultaneously.  That motion is subject to a vote.  The few times we've done that, there's been nothing but confusion - again, because we only have one thread for all official Assembly business.

I support Rep. Kaljewt's resolution and am opposed to the proposed amendments.  Andrew CT was our governor for a year, through the highs and lows of the Northeast.   He should be given our thanks.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #386 on: February 28, 2010, 04:48:44 PM »

hey could one of you guys make an amendment that you must be polite in the assembly. And consequences if you aren't. It is just an idea.

We have the thing called "Joe Wilson Act". Rowan declared this unconstitutional.
why?

Freedom of speech and separation of powers.  The governor had a role in enforcing the Joe Wilson Act, which was one reason why it was struck down.

It's not clear that even Assembly standards on decorum would be constitutional.  CJO RowanBrandon's decision was fairly broad on the Freedom of Speech point.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #387 on: February 28, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »

I request shortening the period of debate.

The Lt. Governor will have to rule on this and all motions unless he expressly declares his absence.  I put the bill up for debate out of convenience, but as long as Lt. Governor Libertas is present, the Lt. Governor has the chair and runs the Assembly.  Last session was a bit irregular.   Lt. Governor Smid allowed the Speaker to run the place because he was in a different time zone.  He was present only to break ties.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #388 on: March 01, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »

Amendment 1: Nay
Amendment 2: Nay
Amendment 3: Nay
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #389 on: March 02, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »

Aye on final passage.

Why is this vote open for 36 hours instead of 24?

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #390 on: March 03, 2010, 12:33:25 AM »

Sorry to interrupt. I'm not sure whose responsibility this is, but your legislative Wiki hasn't been updated since the gas leasing legislation. Makes it harder for me to figure things out.

So I'll just ask, was anything ever done about the region's obesity rate?

No.  Lt. Governor Smid voted against the Health Act, breaking a 4-4 tie.  Therefore, the bill failed under our rules.

It is the Lt. Governor's job to update the wiki.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #391 on: March 04, 2010, 02:23:59 PM »

I ask to table this until the Supreme Court of Atlasia decides the Libertas case.  I'm concerned that if Libertas' vote puts the tally over 2/3rds of all Assemblymen voting or a majority of all  Assemblymen, the constitutionality of the amendment could be questioned.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #392 on: March 04, 2010, 10:35:24 PM »

The Northeast has the power to run it's own elections. This is simply an exercise of this right protecting us from federal intrusion.

Who is going to maintain a Northeast voter list?  How?

I'm not sure Section 2 is constitutional.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #393 on: March 05, 2010, 12:52:36 AM »

Maybe the CJO or Lt. Governor can maintain the list.

You'll need to specify that in the legislation.

I really need to check if this is constitutional before deciding how to vote.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #394 on: March 06, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »

I'm going to be in transit today, and I'm not sure when I'll be on later.

I would thus like to ask for a leave of absence for today and tomorrow, and to ask if the Speaker would be willing to perform my duties during this time.

Certainly.  I may not be available at exactly 2:30PM to open the vote, but will do so at some point later today.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #395 on: March 06, 2010, 02:38:23 PM »

Seeing no proposed amendments, it is time to put the bill to a vote:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This vote will remain open until the earlier of 2:40PM Eastern on Sunday, March 7, 2010, or when all Representatives shall have voted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #396 on: March 06, 2010, 02:39:57 PM »

Nay.

While I oppose the HAEV, my concerns about list maintenance have not been addressed.  I also question whether this bill is constitutional.   Voters removed by the HAEV are no longer citizens of Atlasia.  How can they be citizens of the Northeast?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #397 on: March 07, 2010, 04:33:54 PM »

By a vote of 2-3, with 2 unexcused absences and 1 excused absence, the Fair Voting Requirements Act fails.

Next bill:

Unnamed
The Northeast condemns the callous decision of the Pacific to close its border with the Southeast. To show solidarity with the Southeast, all goods entering or exiting the Northeast from the Pacific are illegal, and shall be confiscated if found. This act will be in effect until the Pacific either re-opens its borders with the Southeast, or accepts the "Suck it Pacific Act 2010."

Sponsor: Rep. Dallasfan65

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 4:30PM Eastern on Tuesday, March 9, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative DallasFan65, has the floor.

Rep DallasFan 65 - please provide a name for your bill.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #398 on: March 07, 2010, 08:46:05 PM »

I don't know why we should penalize the Pacific.  The Southeast started this nonsense by busing its dangerous criminals into the Pacific.  If we should be penalizing anyone, it should be the Southeast.  But I'd prefer to remain neutral and let the Pacific and Southeast iron out their differences on their own.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #399 on: March 07, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »

I want to say two things.

First of all, I agree with Mr. Speaker that there is not a reason at all to punish Pacific for something, Southeast committed.

Second of all, what would we do if other region would pass something like "Suck It Northeast Act"?

Authorize the CJO or someone else to seek an Atlasian Supreme Court injunction on behalf of the Northeast against that region in question on the grounds suggested by CJO Sam Spade in his decision to grant cert.  Unfortunately, the person who brought the Pacific's lawsuit didn't have the time to see it through.  We'd make sure it was seen through.  If we lost, we'd retaliate, much like the Pacific did.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies