Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:25:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378968 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 12:56:39 PM »

I would remind the honorable gentleman from Massadhusetts, Wormyguy, that the use of any type of profane or objectionable language is completely unacceptable in the Northeast Assembly.

The member is to withdraw his objectionable language and apologize to the Assembly.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 12:58:50 PM »

Do I have any support in this Assembly to have the legal age whereby anyone can purchase alcohol from any establishment that sells alcohol is to be 21 years of age?

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 04:05:04 PM »

Nor do you have the authority to demand wormyguy withdraw his statement and apologize to this assembly. 

Then the Speaker should act on this completely unacceptable behavior.  It's a little something called parliamentary procedure.  No objectionable language is acceptable in any law making body, ever. Period.

I ask the Speaker to deal with this situation.  It is certainly within his authority to address this matter and correct it.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 04:09:32 PM »

Let me make this clear, I want the age to buy alcohol at 18.  Whether consumption becomes an issue means little to me.    

Then I leave my amendment at age 18.  I trust that compromise will find a concensus in the Assembly.

The age of 18 applies to any sale of any alcohol from any estblishment that sells alcohol, liquor stores, restaurants, lounges, bars, etc.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 04:10:45 PM »

The Governor doesn't need authorization to request civility during debate. Instead, we should all strive to meet the standards that Governor Winfield expects, regardless of our position.

Thank you Senator Napoleon.  Your statement is common sense.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 08:44:51 PM »

Nathan or Cincinnatus, or anyone else who supports my amendments, would you be willing to put forward my two amendments to this bill so they can be voted on?

Thank you.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »

Thank you Nathan.

I agree, the age amendment is the most important of the two.

As I have said earlier, if both amendments pass, I would be happy with that, but if just the age 18 amendment passes, I would as well be happy with that.

One cannot always expect to win everything one would like.  That is what compromise is all about. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 09:43:59 PM »

Mr. Speaker, please advise the Governor if the honorable member from New Jersey, Mr. Elyski, has missed at least three votes on legislation in a row in the Assembly.

In such case, by terms of the constitution, this seat is vacant, and I will be required to call a special election.

In fairness to Mr. Elyski, I do not choose to act on this until I have received formal notice from the Assembly that Mr. Elyski has in fact missed at least three votes in a row.

Thank you.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2011, 04:01:36 PM »

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Article II: The Executive

6.  A Governor may be impeached at any time while he or she is in office by the will of two thirds of the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region. Impeachment proceedings shall begin when a motion to impeach offered by a Representative is seconded by another Representative, excluding the Representative serving as Lieutenant Governor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Governor, or any other government officer, can only be impeached for just cause, i.e. the commission of an impeachable offence.  Article II, Section 2 makes no provision for impeachment for just cause. 

It is imperative that it be written into the constitution in Article II, Section 2 to cover impeachment of the Governor for just cause for the commission of an impeachable offence.

The Assembly cannot simply decide to impeach the Governor for no reason.

Therefore, I present the above as an amendment to this proposed constitution.

Normally, for a Governor to be impeached, it would only follow a trial wherein the Governor was found to be guilty of an impeachable offence.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2011, 04:15:47 PM »

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Article II: The Legislature

12. The Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast Region shall be the Representative receiving the most votes in the most recent general election. He or she officially opens and closes the legislative sessions of the Northeast Legislative Assembly and shall ascend to the Governorship if that office becomes vacant for any reason. If the Governor is temporarily absent (no more than ten days), the Lieutenant Governor may exercise the powers of Governor, excluding the ability to sign or veto legislation.

I have a problem with the Lieutenant Governor being the Representative receiving the most votes in the election.  What if the Representative receiving the most votes does not want to become Lieutenant Governor, but wants to be a Representative so he or she can debate and vote on legislation in the Assembly?  

I find the way Article II Section 12 is written to be too restrictive.  It assigns an office to someone who may not want that office.

Personally, I would prefer the Lieutenant Governor to be elected from candidates running for Lieutenant Governor, and in the event no candidates seek this office, that the new Representatives in the Assembly choose the new Lieutenant Governor from amongst themselves.

Therefore, I propose the above amendment to Article II Section 12.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »

I concur with the Governor's proposed amendment. If he will propose an exact text therefor I will officially introduce it.

Thank you Representative Nathan. 

6.  A Governor may be impeached at any time while he or she is in office by the will of two thirds of the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region following having been found guilty of an impeachable offence.  Impeachment proceedings shall begin when a motion to impeach offered by a Representative is seconded by another Representative, excluding the Representative serving as Lieutenant Governor.

Not part of the amendment:  That is assuming of course that a Representative is serving as the Lieutenant Governor.  If the office of Lieutenant Governor is elected as Lieutenant Governor in the election, then "excluding the Representative serving as Lieutenant Governor" will no longer part of Article II Section 6.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2011, 04:44:11 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2011, 10:58:10 PM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

Article I: The Region

The administrative center for the government of the Northeast Region established in this Constitution shall be Hartford, Connecticut.

I have no problem with the new capital of the Northeast Region being established in Hartford.  It is close to home.  Smiley

(Some humor from the Governor)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »

For the record, I have no problem with 5 Representatives.

The Assembly needs to have debate and input, and I believe 5 active Representatives could provide the necessary diversity of viewpoints and debate for legislation to be considered from a variety of individuals.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2011, 08:58:09 PM »

I have no authority to appoint a Speaker.

There is a clear division of powers between the executive and the legislative branches.

In the absence of the Speaker, the Lieutenant Governor is to ensure that the Assembly keeps running smoothly.

The Chief Judicial Officer should make a ruling.

However, the Speaker returns tomorrow evening.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2011, 08:15:56 PM »

During my short time as Lieutenant Governor, I was directing the affairs of the Assembly.  We had no Speaker at the time.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »

Nay on the bill.

I believe this policy, if enacted, would, in some cases, be difficult to sustain over a long period of time.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:08 PM »

As Governor, I wish to warmly welcome all Representatives to this new session of the Northeast Assembly.

I am confident that this session will produce much meaningful legislation for the advancement of the Northeast.

First order of business is to elect an Assembly Speaker.

We will have nominations then a vote.

Please proceed as soon as possible on this important matter so that the business of the Assembly can move forward.

Thank you.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »

Mr. Lieutenant Governor, if you are going to assume these responsibilities, then please ensure that you are actively engaged in the affairs of the Assembly, so as not to hold up Assembly business due to your absence.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »

My goodness, this administration is conspiring to keep me off ballots Tongue

[1] Cincinnatus
[2] Snowstalker

I was wondering why you were not on the ballot for Speaker. 

Cincinnatus, believe me, this had absolutely nothing to do with the Governor.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2011, 11:00:25 PM »

RFK, please swear in at the New office holders swearing in thread, otherwise, you cannot take part in Assembly votes or speak as a member of the Assembly.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2011, 09:02:34 PM »

Let us now proceed with the Business of the Assembly. The Assembly will now consider the following constitutional amendment, proposed by the Governor of the Northeast, Winfield, during the last session.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Debate will last 72 hours.

This wording is incorrect.  I had the concept but did not create the actual wording.  To hold trials for the convicted should clearly read to hold trials for the accused.  

One is not convicted before a trial.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »

Mr. Speaker, can you please point out to the honorable member from Rhode Island, Mr. RFK, that until he swears in at the New Office Holder's Swearing In Thread that he is not technically a member of the Assembly, and therefore, he is ineligible to cast votes in the Assembly.

Thank you.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2011, 09:41:52 PM »

Mr. Speaker, can you clarify, the section dealing with impeachment, has the amendment that I proposed received approval to be included in the new constitution?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »

6.  A Governor may be impeached at any time while he or she is in office by the will of two thirds of the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region. Impeachment proceedings shall begin when a motion to impeach offered by a Representative is seconded by another Representative, excluding the Representative serving as Lieutenant Governor.

I am uncomfortable with the wording of Article II, Section 6 about impeachment.  Even if two thirds of the Assembly wish to impeach a Governor, they should have to have just cause to do so, not simply because some of them may think it is a good idea.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »

OK, just leave it.  I believe it could be more clear, however, I will not press the issue.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies