Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:05:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 379521 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5125 on: December 04, 2011, 11:26:49 PM »

Nay
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5126 on: December 05, 2011, 12:10:43 AM »

Aye
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #5127 on: December 05, 2011, 02:28:54 AM »

Abstain
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5128 on: December 05, 2011, 06:16:36 AM »

Aye
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5129 on: December 05, 2011, 10:35:10 AM »

Abstain
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5130 on: December 05, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »

Voting time has expired.  The ayes are two, nays are one, with three members abstaining.  The bill is passed.

The Assembly will now consider the legislation introduced by the gentleman from Pennsylvania.  Debate will be for 48 hours.

Removing That Stupid Parental Advisory Sticker From CDs Act Of 2011

1. The "Parental Advisory: Explicit Content" is hereby removed from CDs sold within the Northeast Region.

2. Instead, CDs with notable explicit content shall have a sticker with "Recommended: 16+, 17+ and 18+" stickers, based on explicitness of content.

3. If a CD has a "Recommended: 18+" sticker on it, identification shall be required in order to purchase the CD.

4. If a CD has a "Recommended: 16+ or 17+" sticker, anyone may buy the CD.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5131 on: December 05, 2011, 11:35:24 PM »

I would like to point out that the "Parental Advisory" stickers are voluntarily placed on albums by record companies.  Furthermore, they do so because they correctly perceive that some parents might not want their minor children listening to lyrics containing profanity, or descriptions of violent or sexual acts.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5132 on: December 06, 2011, 02:16:49 AM »

Hah, my bill passed.

u mad?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5133 on: December 06, 2011, 06:29:33 AM »

I would like to point out that the "Parental Advisory" stickers are voluntarily placed on albums by record companies.  Furthermore, they do so because they correctly perceive that some parents might not want their minor children listening to lyrics containing profanity, or descriptions of violent or sexual acts.

I realize that.

The point that I'm making is that the recommended stickers would basically do the same thing, except instead of slamming "EXPLICIT CONTENT!111!!!!!" in your face, you have a sticker that says it may not be appropriate for children, but kids may still buy it. Ultimately, it is the parents'  job to moderate what their kids listen to, not the record label's.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5134 on: December 06, 2011, 08:37:08 AM »

I just have to ask.. when exactly did the Northeast Assembly change from a place where actual business was conducted, to where we now have to speak in meme to pass bills? It is quite depressing.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5135 on: December 06, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »

I just have to ask.. when exactly did the Northeast Assembly change from a place where actual business was conducted, to where we now have to speak in meme to pass bills? It is quite depressing.

When CT stopped runnin dis bitch, that's when.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5136 on: December 06, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »

I realize that.

The point that I'm making is that the recommended stickers would basically do the same thing, except instead of slamming "EXPLICIT CONTENT!111!!!!!" in your face, you have a sticker that says it may not be appropriate for children, but kids may still buy it. Ultimately, it is the parents'  job to moderate what their kids listen to, not the record label's.

No, it is the record label's job to decide what they sell, and then it is the parent's job to decide whether to buy it.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5137 on: December 06, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »

People from CT knew how to run things well. Makes me worry a little bit.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5138 on: December 06, 2011, 10:25:57 AM »

I realize that.

No, it is the record label's job to decide what they sell, and then it is the parent's job to decide whether to buy it.

This is my basic feelings on this bill.  As long as we don't require these stickers by law, it's completely up to the labels if they decide to put "EXPLICIT' on their product.

People from CT knew how to run things well. Makes me worry a little bit.

If you don't like how debates are proceeding, you have every right to contribute.  If you don't like the bills that are being introduced, you have every right to get a Rep to sign off on a bill, or work with you on a bill.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5139 on: December 06, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »

I'm sort of with everyone else on this.  I don't think it ought to be the government's responsibility to tell parents what's vulgar and what isn't by mandating labels, or replacing labels that companies may put on like this bill does.

I blame the Silly Party. Tongue
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5140 on: December 06, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »

I blame the Silly Party. Tongue

>Surprise
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5141 on: December 06, 2011, 04:00:43 PM »

So the Northeast would be dictating what record companies label their disks with? This seems highly unnecessary and overreaching.

Not to mention that determining whether something be say, recommended sixteen or recommended seventeen would probably require a special "panel" which could even lead to CD's languishing in a backlog instead of hitting the shelves.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5142 on: December 06, 2011, 04:58:57 PM »

So the Northeast would be dictating what record companies label their disks with? This seems highly unnecessary and overreaching.

Not to mention that determining whether something be say, recommended sixteen or recommended seventeen would probably require a special "panel" which could even lead to CD's languishing in a backlog instead of hitting the shelves.

Well, to play devil's advocate, do you think any stickers should be placed on CD covers to advertise potential inappropriate content?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5143 on: December 06, 2011, 05:15:28 PM »

Well, to play devil's advocate, do you think any stickers should be placed on CD covers to advertise potential inappropriate content?

I believe, and I am pretty sure that Dallas would concur, that companies should be able to sell their products in whichever way they have determined is best, and I would not presume to know how to do that than they do.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5144 on: December 06, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »

I see the opposing argument and concede. I withdraw my bill.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5145 on: December 06, 2011, 05:26:13 PM »

I believe, and I am pretty sure that Dallas would concur, that companies should be able to sell their products in whichever way they have determined is best, and I would not presume to know how to do that than they do.

Yes.

In fact, I think any responsible parent would be doing a little research on the product themselves before letting their child have a video game or CD. If a parent is that far removed from their child's life, then there are more problems in the household than whether Marilyn Manson is on their kid's iTunes.

EDIT: I see the bill has been withdrawn.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5146 on: December 06, 2011, 05:53:34 PM »

The gentleman withdraws his bill.

The Assembly will now consider the legislation introduced by the gentleman from New York.  Debate will be for 48 hours.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5147 on: December 06, 2011, 05:55:33 PM »

I have no objection to this bill.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5148 on: December 06, 2011, 06:04:33 PM »

Just a constitutional reference amendment.  Unless someone has any major changes they'd like to propose to the Vacancy Filling Act, I'll motion to lower debate time tonight.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5149 on: December 06, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »

How about: in the case that the Representative serving as Lieutenant Governor has vacated his or her seat, the winner of the special election shall assume the responsibilities of Lieutenant Governor.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 [206] 207 208 209 210 211 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies