Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:01:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 379055 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #525 on: May 02, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »
« edited: May 02, 2011, 02:48:21 PM by cinyc »

FYI-
This morning, Jake Matthews resigned from the Lt. Governorship and swore in as a member of the Northeast Assembly.  Under Article IV, Section vii of the New Northeast Constitution, the Assembly must recommend someone to fill the vacant Lt. Governor's seat before the Governor can name a replacement.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #526 on: May 03, 2011, 03:00:03 AM »

The CJO has stated that you are not a member of the Assembly. I planned to nominate you, since you are out of a job apparently.

Well, technically, the CJO has stated that the Governor did not certify Wormguy a member of this Assembly, but if anyone disagrees with that certification and has a valid legal argument, they are more than welcome to file a lawsuit in my court - as with any certification.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #527 on: May 26, 2011, 08:03:57 PM »

I will abstain from future votes on legislation in this term unless Giovanni's votes are counted and the Speaker of the Assembly recognizes that member as an Assemblyman.

He missed three legislative votes so there is no longer a constitutional debate. Were he ever a member would not be resolved as the constitution is crystal clear here. Giovanni hasn't voted since I said his votes would not count. I was trying to get wormyguy to count Giovanni's votes so I would have standing to sue wormyguy but this is no longer possible. In fact, Earl also missed three votes on passing legislation and forfeits his seat.

I maintain that I have broken no laws.

Three votes or three consecutive votes without posting a leave of absence?   That matters - a lot.  When did the last missed vote take place?

Any Northeast citizen should have standing to sue over the election certification.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #528 on: May 26, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »

Three consecutive votes on legislation were missed.

When was the last vote missed by both Assemblymen? 

I will have to hold a special election to fill the seats.  The question is whether that's tonight or next week.  It might be next week anyway because of the lack of time to give notice.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #529 on: May 26, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »

Three consecutive votes on legislation were missed.

When was the last vote missed by both Assemblymen? 

I will have to hold a special election to fill the seats.  The question is whether that's tonight or next week.  It might be next week anyway because of the lack of time to give notice.

The Northeast Parks and Recreation Act that passed today.

Thanks.  I'll double-check that.  If you are correct, we will hold a special election to fill the seats next week.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #530 on: May 26, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »

I'm going to have to go back and look at the thread.  For starters, I don't think we've viewed veto overrides as votes on legislation because of the simultaneous tracking in the SOAP.  In general, we've very liberally interpreted the three consecutive vote provisions lest run out of people wishing to run for Assembly.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #531 on: May 27, 2011, 05:54:36 PM »

I'm going to have to go back and look at the thread.  For starters, I don't think we've viewed veto overrides as votes on legislation because of the simultaneous tracking in the SOAP.  In general, we've very liberally interpreted the three consecutive vote provisions lest run out of people wishing to run for Assembly.

I'd be inclined to agree if it were considered a motion to veto an override but the constitution makes reference to "previously vetoed legislation" which designates it is indeed legislation. I believe that would make it qualify as a third consecutive vote.

Yeah, that's what the Constitution seems to say about vetoes. 

I will verify your vote count, but it does sound accurate.  If so, we will be holding elections for two vacant Assembly seats next week.  Current seat holders are welcome to run for their old seats - though I might have to visit the whether a non-Northeast resident can hold a Northeast Assembly seat if he wins.  I honestly haven't given it much independent thought, hoping for a court case.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #532 on: November 15, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »

Well, first I thought the vacancy had to be filled by special election, like with other offices.  Then Napoleon told me someone would have to be appointed and then confirmed by the Assembly.

As far as I know the Assembly just recommends a Lt. Governor.  Realistically, The Governor can appoint whoever he wants after that.  So..  we should of had a period to recommend someone to fill the position, before a Lt. Governor was ever chosen.

Yes, that is the way things were done under the old (third) Northeast Constitution.   The Fourth Northeast Constitution is silent on how to deal with a vacancy in the Lt. Governor's office.  Someone should propose a constitutional amendment to fix that before it becomes a real problem (Next highest vote-getter?  Assembly vote?  Gubernatorial appointment?).

Because the elections were held under the old constitution, treating those provisions as if they are in force for the Lt. Governor's office this session can't hurt.  In the absence of any provision in the new constitution, we might as well follow the old.  If the office is truly vacant, the Assembly should recommend a new Lt. Governor to the Governor.  The Governor should act upon that recommendation as he sees fit.

Before that, I can't follow the history here.  Why is the Lt. Governor's office is vacant instead of merely unclaimed?  Did Giovanni move to another region or otherwise make himself ineligible for the office?  Or did he just not swear in yet?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #533 on: November 15, 2011, 04:01:29 PM »

Thanks for explaining the situation.  So there is a vacancy in the Lt. Governor's office.  Under the old constitution, the Governor could not appoint a new Lt. Governor until a recommendation was received from the Assembly.  Since that didn't happen, elections were held under the old constitution and the new constitution is silent on how to fill a Lt. Governors' vacancy, Giovanni's appointment is void.

The Assembly should recommend a new Lt. Governor.  The Governor need not appoint the person recommended, but cannot appoint anyone to fill the office until the recommendation is made.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies