Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:38:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377466 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #775 on: November 24, 2009, 11:36:07 PM »

Northeastern Green Jobs Act

In order to maintain viable enviromental and employment considerations within the Northeast, the following is proposed.

1. Within one year, it is the goal of the Northeast to convert 35% of non-green jobs into green ones.

2. The Northeast shall convert all possible jobs of the government to green operation within two-five years.

3. The Northeast shall create new and green jobs to employ the currently unemployed with the goal of dropping the unemployment rate below 5% within five years.

4. Businesses will be given additional incentives to create, expand, and maintain green jobs.

Sponsor: Rep. Doctor Cynic

The Question is, shall the Bill be considered?

Those in favor, say Aye. Those opposed, no.

The Ayes have it.

The Sponsor, Representative Doctor Cynic, has the floor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #776 on: November 25, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »

Fully suport this excellent initiative. Smiley
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #777 on: November 25, 2009, 02:14:39 PM »

Aye.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #778 on: November 25, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »

We're not yet voting.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #779 on: November 25, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »

I was voting for us to consider it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #780 on: November 25, 2009, 05:18:43 PM »

We never, ever, ever vote to do that. No bill can fail to be considered.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #781 on: November 25, 2009, 05:25:54 PM »

Right now, we are looking at an economy that is slugging along with little creation or concern for our glorious enviroment.

This bill has a two prong design. First, to protect the enviroment by converting and creating green jobs. The second is to expand the economy and shoot the unemployment rate down. Admittedly, the bill is not designed as a final solution, but rather the first step in vital enviromental protection and job creation. I urge my friends in the Assembly to approve this bill.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #782 on: November 25, 2009, 07:27:10 PM »

What's a green job?  What's a non-green job?  How does a government create green jobs?  And how much will this cost?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #783 on: November 25, 2009, 07:32:06 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_job

The same way the government creates non-green jobs. Seriously, it is just the creation of new jobs in enviromentally friendly sectors with incentives.

I don't know the cost. Ask someone who took a more advanced math course for that one. Although, it should come from the stimulus budget.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #784 on: November 25, 2009, 07:37:01 PM »

It's a procedural vote which is carried on voices alone. It's like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp_kwUt7awo (at the 1:20 mark or thereabouts). No one votes no, so proceding continue.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #785 on: November 26, 2009, 12:55:25 AM »

It's a procedural vote which is carried on voices alone. It's like here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp_kwUt7awo (at the 1:20 mark or thereabouts). No one votes no, so proceding continue.

Except that one jackass.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #786 on: November 26, 2009, 04:15:20 AM »

As long as this applies to public sector jobs only, I don't see the problem.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #787 on: November 26, 2009, 11:24:04 PM »

As long as this applies to public sector jobs only, I don't see the problem.

The problem is it's not clear exactly what jobs the law applies to - and our financial commitment is fairly open-ended.  I can't support this in its current form - and wouldn't know where to start to markup any amendments.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #788 on: November 27, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »

Seeing as no Amendments have been offered, I open up a final vote on the Bill. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain. Voting lasts twenty-four hours.

Northeastern Green Jobs Act

In order to maintain viable enviromental and employment considerations within the Northeast, the following is proposed.

1. Within one year, it is the goal of the Northeast to convert 35% of non-green jobs into green ones.

2. The Northeast shall convert all possible jobs of the government to green operation within two-five years.

3. The Northeast shall create new and green jobs to employ the currently unemployed with the goal of dropping the unemployment rate below 5% within five years.

4. Businesses will be given additional incentives to create, expand, and maintain green jobs.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #789 on: November 27, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »

Aye
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #790 on: November 27, 2009, 05:25:16 PM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #791 on: November 27, 2009, 05:38:33 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #792 on: November 27, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »

Nay
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #793 on: November 28, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »

The Ayes are Three; the Nays are One. The Bill has passed. I present it to the Governor for his signature or veto.

Amending Procedure Amendment

1. Article VII of the New Northeast Constitution is hereby repealed. Its content shall be replaced by the following:
2. i) Amendments to this constitution shall be proposed by the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region.  A proposed Amendment shall be forwarded to be voted upon by the citizens of the Northeast upon:

a) A successful vote of two-thirds of voting members Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region;

b) A successful vote of majority of all members of the Legislative Assembly; and

c) Approval of the Governor in the form of his consent.

ii) The Chief Judicial Officer shall open the polling booth for all proposed Amendments approved by the Governor before 12:00:00am EST of the second Friday of a month at 12:00:00am EST on the third Friday of the same month.  The Chief Judicial Officer shall open the polling booth for all proposed Amendments approved by the Governor after 12:00:00am EST of the second Friday of a month at 12:00:00am EST on the third Friday of the following month.  The Chief Judicial Officer shall close the polling booth at 11:59:59pm EST on the following Sunday.  If the date for opening the polling booth coincides with another Northeast election, the Chief Judicial Officer shall include the vote on any proposed Amendments in the polling booth for that election.

iii) Any Amendment proposed by the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region shall only become effective upon:

a) A successful vote of two-thirds of those citizens of the Northeast Region who vote for or against the proposed Amendment; and

b) A successful vote of majority of all citizens of the Northeast Region who are eligible to vote in such election.

The questions is shall the Bill be Considered?

Those in favor, say "Aye", those opposed, "Nay".

The Ayes have it.

The Sponsor, Representative cinyc, has the floor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #794 on: November 28, 2009, 05:24:27 PM »

This Amendment had to be reintroduced, and I thank cynic to having done so. However, this bill solves only one of the two essential problems in the current system. Accelerating the Amendment vote is certainly important, but my biggest concern was to remove the participation clause, which is undemocratic and excessively favors the status quo.
That's why I'd like to propose a friendly Amendment :

1. Article VII of the New Northeast Constitution is hereby repealed. Its content shall be replaced by the following:
2. i) Amendments to this constitution shall be proposed by the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region.  A proposed Amendment shall be forwarded to be voted upon by the citizens of the Northeast upon:

a) A successful vote of two-thirds of voting members Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region;

b) A successful vote of majority of all members of the Legislative Assembly; and

ii) The Chief Judicial Officer shall open the polling booth for all proposed Amendments approved by the Governor before 12:00:00am EST of the second Friday of a month at 12:00:00am EST on the third Friday of the same month.  The Chief Judicial Officer shall open the polling booth for all proposed Amendments approved by the Governor after 12:00:00am EST of the second Friday of a month at 12:00:00am EST on the third Friday of the following month.  The Chief Judicial Officer shall close the polling booth at 11:59:59pm EST on the following Sunday.  If the date for opening the polling booth coincides with another Northeast election, the Chief Judicial Officer shall include the vote on any proposed Amendments in the polling booth for that election.

iii) Any Amendment proposed by the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region shall only become effective upon:a) a successful vote of two-thirds of those citizens of the Northeast Region who vote for or against the proposed Amendment; and

b) A successful vote of majority of all citizens of the Northeast Region who are eligible to vote in such election.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #795 on: November 28, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »

Rep Antonio V -  This was a first cut that only included changes on which we were likely to agree.  I was actually going to throw open the percent of the public vote required for ratification issue (and the question of how often we should be putting amendment votes to the public) for discussion.

Do we really want to totally scrap the minimum public participation requirement?  I agree that a successful vote of a majority may be difficult to reach in many cases - especially if, as in recent federal amendments, amendment proponents don't actively campaign for a change.  But should we allow a plurality of voters to change the Constitution - just because citizens weren't around one weekend and didn't vote?  Perhaps we should require a quorum of a majority of voters to vote on a proposed amendment - and 2/3rds of them to pass it.  Or we should extend the voting period to a week to allow more people to get to the polls.

I'm not taking your amendment as friendly - yet.  I'd like to hear other representatives' views on this issue.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #796 on: November 29, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »

I persist to consider this system as undemocratic, since the partisans of status quo are helpe by people who don't care. The opinion of people who don't care shouldn't be considered.
Anyways, I accept to propose this one as a compromise, making the treshold more realizable. I'd like you to accept this as friendly. Wink

a) An affirmative vote of two-thirds of voting members Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region;

b) An affirmative vote of majority of all members of the Legislative Assembly; and

iii) Any Amendment proposed by the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region shall only become effective upon:

a) An affirmative vote of two-thirds of those citizens of the Northeast Region who vote for or against the proposed Amendment; and

b) An affirmative vote of one third of all citizens of the Northeast Region who are eligible to vote in such election.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #797 on: November 29, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »

This is not the time for this bill. You skipped my bills.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #798 on: November 30, 2009, 12:11:39 AM »

I persist to consider this system as undemocratic, since the partisans of status quo are helpe by people who don't care. The opinion of people who don't care shouldn't be considered.
Anyways, I accept to propose this one as a compromise, making the treshold more realizable. I'd like you to accept this as friendly. Wink

a) An affirmative vote of two-thirds of voting members Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region;

b) An affirmative vote of majority of all members of the Legislative Assembly; and

a) An affirmative vote of two-thirds of those citizens of the Northeast Region who vote for or against the proposed Amendment; and

b) An affirmative vote of one third of all citizens of the Northeast Region who are eligible to vote in such election.

I'm willing to accept this as friendly - but would like to hear the opinion of other Reps before proceeding.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #799 on: November 30, 2009, 02:23:41 AM »

I will support this bill with the friendly amendments. Without them, I cannot support it. I don't believe in voting requirements, but am willing to compromise.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies