Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:43:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377412 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: November 30, 2009, 02:27:09 AM »

Do you mind if I amend 2c) to say "Approval of the Governor in the form of his signature" - to make it clear that he must affirmatively sign any proposed amendment?  There appears to be some sort of issue about that on the Governor's office thread.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #801 on: November 30, 2009, 03:10:16 AM »

Do you mind if I amend 2c) to say "Approval of the Governor in the form of his signature" - to make it clear that he must affirmatively sign any proposed amendment?  There appears to be some sort of issue about that on the Governor's office thread.

Personally, I think that's a good idea.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #802 on: November 30, 2009, 06:36:17 AM »

Seconded.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #803 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40:18 AM »

Seconded.

Thirded.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #804 on: November 30, 2009, 09:22:38 AM »

Constitutional amendments should be voted on by the full citizenry of the Northeast before they go into effect.  I'm fine with removing the requirement that says that x% of all registered citizens must vote on an amendment before it can be passed (if that is, in fact, still a requirement), but I do want to see the public involved in this procedure.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #805 on: November 30, 2009, 09:41:07 AM »

Constitutional amendments should be voted on by the full citizenry of the Northeast before they go into effect.  I'm fine with removing the requirement that says that x% of all registered citizens must vote on an amendment before it can be passed (if that is, in fact, still a requirement), but I do want to see the public involved in this procedure.

So the current draft should perfectly suit you.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #806 on: November 30, 2009, 10:12:25 AM »

That's weird, did the bill change again?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #807 on: November 30, 2009, 10:28:17 AM »

Just read the latest post in which you see a bill, and some red characters.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #808 on: November 30, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »

Just read the latest post in which you see a bill, and some red characters.

Maybe I just didn't read the bill right the first time.  It initially made it seem like citizens were only involved in a Maine-like people's veto of an amendment once it had already been pushed into law.

Anyway.  I'm okay with this amendment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #809 on: November 30, 2009, 02:09:23 PM »

It initially made it seem like citizens were only involved in a Maine-like people's veto of an amendment once it had already been pushed into law.

This was an anterior Amendment which has already been put on vote and failed. The new one has been written by cynic and originally didn't changed the "turnout requirement". The new one sets it as 33% instead of 50% of reg. voters.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #810 on: November 30, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »

This is the bill on the floor, with all friendly amendments (those in red being the most recent amendments to the proposed amendment):

Amending Procedure Amendment

1. Article VII of the New Northeast Constitution is hereby repealed. Its content shall be replaced by the following:
2. i) Amendments to this constitution shall be proposed by the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region.  A proposed Amendment shall be forwarded to be voted upon by the citizens of the Northeast upon:

a) An affirmative vote of two-thirds of voting members Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region;

b) An affirmative vote of majority of all members of the Legislative Assembly; and

c) Approval of the Governor in the form of his signature.

ii) The Chief Judicial Officer shall open the polling booth for all proposed Amendments approved by the Governor before 12:00:00am EST of the second Friday of a month at 12:00:00am EST on the third Friday of the same month.  The Chief Judicial Officer shall open the polling booth for all proposed Amendments approved by the Governor after 12:00:00am EST of the second Friday of a month at 12:00:00am EST on the third Friday of the following month.  The Chief Judicial Officer shall close the polling booth at 11:59:59pm EST on the following Sunday.  If the date for opening the polling booth coincides with another Northeast election, the Chief Judicial Officer shall include the vote on any proposed Amendments in the polling booth for that election.

iii) Any Amendment proposed by the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region shall only become effective upon:

a) An affirmative vote of two-thirds of those citizens of the Northeast Region who vote for or against the proposed Amendment; and

b) An affirmative vote of one third of all citizens of the Northeast Region who are eligible to vote in such election.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #811 on: November 30, 2009, 03:48:39 PM »

Maybe I just didn't read the bill right the first time.  It initially made it seem like citizens were only involved in a Maine-like people's veto of an amendment once it had already been pushed into law.

Anyway.  I'm okay with this amendment.

The main thing my proposal does is put constitutional amendment votes to the public monthly instead of quarterly, only during gubernatorial election months.  Upon taking into account friendly advice, it also lowers the absolute percentage of Northeast citizens who most vote for an amendment from a majority to 1/3rd and cleans up the language in a few places.

That's it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #812 on: December 01, 2009, 07:09:08 AM »

Bump, I guess everyone agrees now.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #813 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »

I open up a final vote on this bill. Vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. Voting lasts twenty-four hours.

Amending Procedure Amendment

1. Article VII of the New Northeast Constitution is hereby repealed. Its content shall be replaced by the following:
2. i) Amendments to this constitution shall be proposed by the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region.  A proposed Amendment shall be forwarded to be voted upon by the citizens of the Northeast upon:

a) An affirmative vote of two-thirds of voting members Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region;

b) An affirmative vote of majority of all members of the Legislative Assembly; and

c) Approval of the Governor in the form of his signature.

ii) The Chief Judicial Officer shall open the polling booth for all proposed Amendments approved by the Governor before 12:00:00am EST of the second Friday of a month at 12:00:00am EST on the third Friday of the same month.  The Chief Judicial Officer shall open the polling booth for all proposed Amendments approved by the Governor after 12:00:00am EST of the second Friday of a month at 12:00:00am EST on the third Friday of the following month.  The Chief Judicial Officer shall close the polling booth at 11:59:59pm EST on the following Sunday.  If the date for opening the polling booth coincides with another Northeast election, the Chief Judicial Officer shall include the vote on any proposed Amendments in the polling booth for that election.

iii) Any Amendment proposed by the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region shall only become effective upon:

a) An affirmative vote of two-thirds of those citizens of the Northeast Region who vote for or against the proposed Amendment; and

b) An affirmative vote of one third of all citizens of the Northeast Region who are eligible to vote in such election.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #814 on: December 01, 2009, 08:20:27 PM »

Nay.

Next time open debate on the bills in the proper order and I might consider them.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #815 on: December 01, 2009, 08:37:07 PM »

Aye.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #816 on: December 01, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #817 on: December 01, 2009, 10:13:36 PM »

Nay.

Next time open debate on the bills in the proper order and I might consider them.

Next time don't go running away from the Assembly, making us all think you've been permanently banned when you haven't been.  Then, things will get taken up in the proper order.  When you were supposedly banned, the Lt. Governor made the correct decision to skip over your bills.  Had you posted the truth at that time or PMed the Lt. Governor about your status, they would never had been.  You never responded or posted a notice of absence.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #818 on: December 01, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »

Nay.

Next time don't go running away from the Assembly, making us all think you've been permanently banned when you haven't been.  Then, things will get taken up in the proper order.  When you were supposedly banned, the Lt. Governor made the correct decision to skip over your bills.  Had you posted the truth at that time or PMed the Lt. Governor about your status, they would never had been.  You never responded or posted a notice of absence.

I did make it very clear that I wouldn't be able to post much while I was at home. My mom had emergency surgery and I had to help take care of her, plus there was some "drama" that I don't need to get in to.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #819 on: December 01, 2009, 11:21:11 PM »

Does this Assembly have a way of expelling members?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #820 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:11 PM »

Aye
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #821 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:44 PM »

We do have the power of impeachment. Also, a member is automatically expelled if they miss three votes on Legislation in a row and/or they don't give substantive debate in the Assembly for one month.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #822 on: December 02, 2009, 01:01:57 AM »

We do have the power of impeachment. Also, a member is automatically expelled if they miss three votes on Legislation in a row and/or they don't give substantive debate in the Assembly for one month.

Speaking of this, it would seem that Hamilton has missed the last three final votes on Legislation - the Northeastern Green Jobs Act, the Northeast Gun Safety Act and the Reasonable Amending Procedure Amendment. Of course, he did vote on the final vote of the Resolution in Support of Cape Wind, however generally speaking, Resolutions do not constitute legislation, as I mentioned in the Governor's thread.

If the House moved for his expulsion under section xiii of Article V of the Constitution, he would no doubt appeal this ruling, which would leave the Court to determine the definition of "Legislation."

Section xiii of Article V reads:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #823 on: December 02, 2009, 01:10:17 AM »

Speaking of this, it would seem that Hamilton has missed the last three final votes on Legislation - the Northeastern Green Jobs Act, the Northeast Gun Safety Act and the Reasonable Amending Procedure Amendment. Of course, he did vote on the final vote of the Resolution in Support of Cape Wind, however generally speaking, Resolutions do not constitute legislation, as I mentioned in the Governor's thread.

If the House moved for his expulsion under section xiii of Article V of the Constitution, he would no doubt appeal this ruling, which would leave the Court to determine the definition of "Legislation."

Section xiii of Article V reads:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A provision which is largely unenforced.

Besides, how can I appeal? We don't have an active CJO? How can I appeal an expulsion for inactivity to an inactive CJO that no one seemed to want to do anything about even though I suggested a while back that Verily be replaced?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #824 on: December 02, 2009, 01:29:24 AM »

Aye
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 239  
« previous next »