Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:32:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377456 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: December 02, 2009, 01:47:49 AM »

Does this Assembly have a way of expelling members?

We do have the power of impeachment. Also, a member is automatically expelled if they miss three votes on Legislation in a row and/or they don't give substantive debate in the Assembly for one month.

Speaking of this, it would seem that Hamilton has missed the last three final votes on Legislation - the Northeastern Green Jobs Act, the Northeast Gun Safety Act and the Reasonable Amending Procedure Amendment. Of course, he did vote on the final vote of the Resolution in Support of Cape Wind, however generally speaking, Resolutions do not constitute legislation, as I mentioned in the Governor's thread.

If the House moved for his expulsion under section xiii of Article V of the Constitution, he would no doubt appeal this ruling, which would leave the Court to determine the definition of "Legislation."

Section xiii of Article V reads:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would argue that breaking the ToS of the forum, as well as other clear indications of inappropriate actions would warrant impeachment easily enough.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #826 on: December 02, 2009, 01:49:32 AM »

We do have the power of impeachment. Also, a member is automatically expelled if they miss three votes on Legislation in a row and/or they don't give substantive debate in the Assembly for one month.

Speaking of this, it would seem that Hamilton has missed the last three final votes on Legislation - the Northeastern Green Jobs Act, the Northeast Gun Safety Act and the Reasonable Amending Procedure Amendment. Of course, he did vote on the final vote of the Resolution in Support of Cape Wind, however generally speaking, Resolutions do not constitute legislation, as I mentioned in the Governor's thread.

If the House moved for his expulsion under section xiii of Article V of the Constitution, he would no doubt appeal this ruling, which would leave the Court to determine the definition of "Legislation."

I would argue that breaking the ToS of the forum, as well as other clear indications of inappropriate actions would warrant impeachment easily enough.

Yet you voted for benconstine... He not only broke the ToS, but tried to cheat the game.

Get out of here you hypocrite (and terrible GM).
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #827 on: December 02, 2009, 01:55:53 AM »

Yet you voted for benconstine... He not only broke the ToS, but tried to cheat the game.

And benconstine was repentant, convicted and served his time. You seem thoroughly convinced that you did nothing wrong...

If you could clear something up for me Hammy, have you had a nervous breakdown from a game or do you simply get a kick out of creating alternative personalities? I was amused at first, but now I am pretty bored with the display. There is only so long that I can enjoy watching a person crumble in a blaze of loathing and stupidity.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #828 on: December 02, 2009, 01:57:08 AM »

And benconstine was repentant, convicted and served his time. You seem thoroughly convinced that you did nothing wrong...

If you could clear something up for me Hammy, have you had a nervous breakdown from a game or do you simply get a kick out of creating alternative personalities? I was amused at first, but now I am pretty bored with the display. There is only so long that I can enjoy watching a person crumble in a blaze of loathing and stupidity.

benconstine committed a crime. I have not broken any laws. You are just mad because I used swingvoter to make fun of you.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #829 on: December 02, 2009, 02:01:38 AM »

benconstine committed a crime. I have not broken any laws. You are just mad because I used swingvoter to make fun of you.

Swing Voter made fun of me? I don't know if I'm just blanking or didn't see them, but now I'm curious. Please link me to the threads in question so I can enjoy the mockery.

Honestly, I hope you don't really think I get upset when a member of this forum makes fun of me. I don't mind the occasional praise, but really, it's an internet game. I'm much too invested in real life to care whether someone pokes fun at me over these info-tubes.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #830 on: December 02, 2009, 02:04:09 AM »

Swing Voter made fun of me? I don't know if I'm just blanking or didn't see them, but now I'm curious. Please link me to the threads in question so I can enjoy the mockery.

The entire persona was making fun of you. The RPP caught on (private forum discussions show that they thought he was YOUR sock lol).

Similar name, New York, fake "centrist" Moderate Hero type that was obviously a far-leftist, hyper-partisan, always acts like he's right. It was pretty clearly intended to mock you.

That being said, the PMs posted show that I had no intention of registering the account and with that, I have done nothing wrong related to this game.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #831 on: December 02, 2009, 02:09:35 AM »

The entire persona was making fun of you. The RPP caught on (private forum discussions show that they thought he was YOUR sock lol).

Similar name, New York, fake "centrist" Moderate Hero type that was obviously a far-leftist, hyper-partisan, always acts like he's right. It was pretty clearly intended to mock you.

That being said, the PMs posted show that I had no intention of registering the account and with that, I have done nothing wrong related to this game.

*shrug*
Over my head. I don't follow forum affairs closely enough to catch on to these sorts of things. Life and all that stuff, ya know.

I know you had no intention of registering in Atlasia. That was never my point. You broke the ToS, are a detriment to this game and an embarrassment to this body and so it is fitting that this body impeach you. End of story as far as I am concerned.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #832 on: December 02, 2009, 02:12:27 AM »

*shrug*
Over my head. I don't follow forum affairs closely enough to catch on to these sorts of things. Life and all that stuff, ya know.

I know you had no intention of registering in Atlasia. That was never my point. You broke the ToS, are a detriment to this game and an embarrassment to this body and so it is fitting that this body impeach you. End of story as far as I am concerned.

Yet you embrace those who cheat the game, break the ToS, advocate burning entire cities, and embarrassed the Mideast region more than any other individual in Atlasian history (even MasterJedi!). End of story as far as I am concerned.

You have no case here. You like to cause problems, so you barge into the business of other regions. For your information, I have produced more legislation than any other Representative and even if impeached, will easily be re-elected. So I suggest this entire "issue" be dropped.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #833 on: December 02, 2009, 02:29:43 AM »

We have no grounds to remove Rep Hamilton.  He has violated no Northeast law that I know of, and the AG thus far has not prosecuted him for violating any federal law.  He's voted on 1 of the last 3 pieces of legislation, loosely defined.

It's ultimately up to the Northeast voters to decide whether to retain Rep. Hamilton this month.  As it should be.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #834 on: December 02, 2009, 06:58:36 AM »

Aye.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #835 on: December 02, 2009, 01:18:03 PM »

Aye.

PS: Hamilton and Purple State: take it elsewhere.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #836 on: December 02, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »

The Ayes are Six; the Nays are one. The Ayes Have it, the Bill has passed.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #837 on: December 02, 2009, 10:43:40 PM »

Next bill?  I assume it's one of Rep. Hamilton's now that he's back?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #838 on: December 03, 2009, 05:56:12 AM »

Another bill on Governor's desk... Tongue
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #839 on: December 03, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »

Wait.. what did we just vote on? Sorry been busy getting some campaigns off the ground here, and found our next CJO.. so can you catch me up on what has to be signed. I'm really sorry, I promise things will go back to normal by Monday.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #840 on: December 03, 2009, 02:39:38 PM »

Next bill to consider :

The New Northeast Minimum Wage Act

1. The Northeast Minimum Wage Act is hereby repealed.
2. The Northeast minimum wage shall be equivalent to the current Federal minimum wage.
3. The Northeast minimum wage shall increase and decrease concurrent to the Federal minimum wage.

Initially introduced by Rep. Hamilton and reintroduced by me.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #841 on: December 03, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »

I would back this bill.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #842 on: December 03, 2009, 03:07:05 PM »

Quite surprising, even if apreciated. Could I ask you why ?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #843 on: December 03, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »

I want assurances in this bill that employees will be protected, in case the federal wage lowers...
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #844 on: December 03, 2009, 03:13:18 PM »

I see no need for the minimum wage in the Northeast to be different from the federal one. While I would like to see progress towards the abolition of the minimum wage (which puts an artificial price on labour and causes unemployment, especially among youths), this is a step in the right direction, I feel.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #845 on: December 03, 2009, 03:17:28 PM »

I see no need for the minimum wage in the Northeast to be different from the federal one. While I would like to see progress towards the abolition of the minimum wage (which puts an artificial price on labour and causes unemployment, especially among youths), this is a step in the right direction, I feel.

But there has to be a way to keep these people making a viable income. I've known too many people who weren't young folks making minimum wage. Living where I live and you see it. There has to be some kind of happy medium where people can make enough to support themselves and their family. Big corporations such as McDonald's and Wal-Mart do not only employ young people and there's no way either of them are going out of business any time soon, even if the minimum wage were say 13 dollars an hour. These corporations are so massive, that there's no way they go under. Smaller businesses, I could see it having an effect, which is why we offer incentives and certain breaks to protect them.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #846 on: December 03, 2009, 03:19:30 PM »

But there has to be a way to keep these people making a viable income. I've known too many people who weren't young folks making minimum wage. Living where I live and you see it. There has to be some kind of happy medium where people can make enough to support themselves and their family. Big corporations such as McDonald's and Wal-Mart do not only employ young people and there's no way either of them are going out of business any time soon, even if the minimum wage were say 13 dollars an hour. These corporations are so massive, that there's no way they go under. Smaller businesses, I could see it having an effect, which is why we offer incentives and certain breaks to protect them.

It's a shame that the market is swallowed up by such huge conglomerates, but if we lowered corporation tax as well, I'm sure we could encourage competition and thus put an upward pressure on wages.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #847 on: December 03, 2009, 03:27:56 PM »

It's a shame that the market is swallowed up by such huge conglomerates, but if we lowered corporation tax as well, I'm sure we could encourage competition and thus put an upward pressure on wages.

Or it could blow up in our faces and just tighten the hold of these monopolies... As I said, I'm not opposed to helping smaller businesses, but these corporations are just so massive, I don't see that they need any help. Our help should be focused on those that make these places profitable through hard work. I've reformed and moderated my views on businesses. They're not all "bad guys", but I'm still going to side with smaller businesses and the working man over any corporation. I'm asking for the protection of thousands of workers who aren't just young people. You might say these are folks who've had some bad luck, well, maybe, but for the work they do, and for the money they pump into the economy, they deserve some protection.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #848 on: December 03, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »

Or it could blow up in our faces and just tighten the hold of these monopolies... As I said, I'm not opposed to helping smaller businesses, but these corporations are just so massive, I don't see that they need any help. Our help should be focused on those that make these places profitable through hard work. I've reformed and moderated my views on businesses. They're not all "bad guys", but I'm still going to side with smaller businesses and the working man over any corporation. I'm asking for the protection of thousands of workers who aren't just young people. You might say these are folks who've had some bad luck, well, maybe, but for the work they do, and for the money they pump into the economy, they deserve some protection.

The problem is, if you keep a high minimum wage, you are helping these oligopolies. Small business suffers because it isn't able to pay the wages and they go into a downward spiral until they go bust in many cases. If you want to help small business, a great aid to it would be to abolish or at least lower the minimum wage.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #849 on: December 03, 2009, 03:41:15 PM »

This bill simply brings our region's minimum wage laws up to date with the federal law and makes certain we won't ever fall behind again. As a region of progress, we cannot allow our labor standards to appear less than the nation as a whole.

Antonio, you did not have permission to tamper with my legislation and I believe that a different bill is first in the queue.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies