Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:37:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377551 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: December 20, 2009, 02:35:48 PM »

It's hard for "most of us" to follow one bill, yet they keep getting voted in and active people left off of ballots. So let's not go down that route.

Precisely. Do you think it would be easier for them to follow twice at the same time ?
As for me, I'd personally have no problem with this, but people like Fezzy, Mr Moderate, Dr Cynic or Smid would have difficulties to take part in debates in those conditions. Obviously, people, tell me if I'm wrong. Wink

And so because of their inactivity, the Assembly's work should suffer? I should hope not. Imagine if the US Senate worked revolved around Ted Kennedy and Robert Byrd's ability to participate. Um... Yeah.

Only because they're not as involved as us, it doesn't mean they are inactive. And I'd like that they remain able to take part into debates, as they currently do.

Yes, but it is my opinion that we can get ore work done if we have two bills on the floor at once. Some bills take longer to debate, aand some need very little. I think it would be rude of me, or anyone else, to flood the queue.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1001 on: December 20, 2009, 02:50:43 PM »

It's hard for "most of us" to follow one bill, yet they keep getting voted in and active people left off of ballots. So let's not go down that route.

Precisely. Do you think it would be easier for them to follow twice at the same time ?
As for me, I'd personally have no problem with this, but people like Fezzy, Mr Moderate, Dr Cynic or Smid would have difficulties to take part in debates in those conditions. Obviously, people, tell me if I'm wrong. Wink

And so because of their inactivity, the Assembly's work should suffer? I should hope not. Imagine if the US Senate worked revolved around Ted Kennedy and Robert Byrd's ability to participate. Um... Yeah.

Only because they're not as involved as us, it doesn't mean they are inactive. And I'd like that they remain able to take part into debates, as they currently do.

Yes, but it is my opinion that we can get ore work done if we have two bills on the floor at once. Some bills take longer to debate, aand some need very little. I think it would be rude of me, or anyone else, to flood the queue.

Well, I'm still undecided on this. I guess I will wait t hear the others' opinion.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1002 on: December 20, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »

It's a bad idea.  It's impossible to follow any discussion of two bills simultaneously when we only have one thread for all legislative business.  Things get muddled.  Votes get lost.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1003 on: December 20, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »

It's a bad idea.  It's impossible to follow any discussion of two bills simultaneously when we only have one thread for all legislative business.  Things get muddled.  Votes get lost.

I'm reassured that someone agress with me. Tongue
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1004 on: December 20, 2009, 06:00:36 PM »

Well, we have Monday to debate, also. The new term begins on Tuesday.

Why?  The election ends tonight.

Is it possible to have a special motion to shorten the debate time ?

Yep.

I take that as a motion. Under Extraordinary Circumstances, I Herby move the debate time to end at 12:00 Midnight. We will proceed with a vote then.

I object.  Speeding consideration of a bill without a vote violates the SOAP.  We can vote to cut off debate, but that vote must be held open for 24 hours.

The next Assembly should take up this bill.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1005 on: December 20, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »

I agree with this. One thing at a time. There's no reason really to throw two, three or four bills out at once.

I also think it's unfair to list me as inactive. I'm here when I'm home. I have a demanding work schedule that takes up a great deal of my time, but I'm always active here.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1006 on: December 20, 2009, 07:43:19 PM »

Well, we have Monday to debate, also. The new term begins on Tuesday.

Why?  The election ends tonight.

Is it possible to have a special motion to shorten the debate time ?

Yep.

I take that as a motion. Under Extraordinary Circumstances, I Herby move the debate time to end at 12:00 Midnight. We will proceed with a vote then.

I object.  Speeding consideration of a bill without a vote violates the SOAP.  We can vote to cut off debate, but that vote must be held open for 24 hours.

The next Assembly should take up this bill.

The Constitution of the NE stipulates that Terms begging on the first Tuesday following the election.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1007 on: December 20, 2009, 09:36:38 PM »

The Constitution of the NE stipulates that Terms begging on the first Tuesday following the election.

True.

I still object to holding this vote tonight, as it violates the SOAP.  Even if the vote starts at midnight, the Governor can't sign it until Tuesday, after the new Assembly is in session.  Do we want to create a constitutional crisis should he veto it?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1008 on: December 20, 2009, 09:38:28 PM »

True.

I still object to holding this vote tonight, as it violates the SOAP.  Even if the vote starts at midnight, the Governor can't sign it until Tuesday, after the new Assembly is in session.  Do we want to create a constitutional crisis should he veto it?

Yes. It'll spice things up, give our lazy CJO something else to do, and hopefully fix the ambiguity in the Constitution.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1009 on: December 21, 2009, 02:41:30 AM »

I open up a final vote on this Bill. Vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Anti-Discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts to any company or organization which is found to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1010 on: December 21, 2009, 02:43:56 AM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1011 on: December 21, 2009, 02:47:16 AM »

I once again object to this bill being brought to the floor before the end of the non-waived 48-hour debate period.

If forced to vote, I vote nay.  This legislation is unnecessary, as discrimination is prohibited under the Atlasian and Northeast Constitutions.  Section 2 is particularly troubling.  One successfully litigated sexual harassment or racial discrimination complaint against a rogue manager - even before a lowly administrative agency - could theoretically cause contracts to be canceled.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1012 on: December 21, 2009, 02:50:19 AM »

I once again object to this bill being brought to the floor before the end of the non-waived 48-hour debate period.

Objection noted.

Do you wish to formally challenge the vote?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1013 on: December 21, 2009, 02:53:25 AM »

Alright, I'm taking cinyc's objection as a good excuse to amend this bill.

Anti-Discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts for a three-year period to any company or organization which is found to repeatedly discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1014 on: December 21, 2009, 02:54:30 AM »

I still wish to see a final vote before the session ends. It's pretty straight forward and no need to cause even more work for next session.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1015 on: December 21, 2009, 03:17:53 AM »

Objection noted.

Do you wish to formally challenge the vote?

Yes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1016 on: December 21, 2009, 08:48:41 AM »

What the hell is happening right now ? Are we still debating or is the vote begun ?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1017 on: December 21, 2009, 11:43:03 AM »

Indeed, should debate be reopened for the bill, I would like to see it amended, changing "gender" to "gender identity."

Anyway, with response to us "more casual" posters:
As many of you know, I was just kinda thrust into the Assembly by our kind governor after making a career of legislating in the "big boy" Senate (and soon after, the presidency). Things are done a bit differently there. More bills, longer debate.

I understand there is a desire to have fast paced action here, but the number of people who are addicted to this forum are limited. Some of us have great legislation or debate points to offer, but simply don't get around to it when a bill can be almost entirely finalized before we even see it. I generally don't get to check this forum during the weekends, which can cause me to miss debates and votes in their entirety.

A possible solution to this would be to take up this "two bills at the same time" idea, while simultaneously doubling the amount of time spent debating and voting on each. That way, you leave people like myself more time to participate while still moving along the business of the Assembly at the bill-per-day rate as before.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1018 on: December 21, 2009, 11:47:07 AM »

What the hell is happening right now ? Are we still debating or is the vote begun ?

cinyc protested the vote on the grounds that the SOAP couldn't be suspended voluntarily.

I have to agree with him, there will be no time for another vote.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1019 on: December 21, 2009, 12:13:42 PM »

I agree with Mr. Moderate, we can debate two bills at once and extend debate from 48 to 72 hours, we can get more participation and more legislation.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1020 on: December 21, 2009, 12:14:26 PM »

I agree with Mr. Moderate, we can debate two bills at once and extend debate from 48 to 72 hours, we can get more participation and more legislation.

Well, then someone needs to propose an Amendment to the SOAP at the start of the new Assembly.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1021 on: December 21, 2009, 01:05:15 PM »

No way, it's totally counterproductive.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1022 on: December 21, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »

Um, no, it will result in better legislation and more legislation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1023 on: December 21, 2009, 01:38:50 PM »

It will result in more confusion and longer debates.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1024 on: December 21, 2009, 01:39:16 PM »

It will result in more confusion and longer debates.

You'd have to be illiterate to get confused.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies