Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:48:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378155 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: December 29, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »

segwaystyle2012
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1101 on: December 29, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »

[X]  segwaystyle2012 (GaryJohnson2012)
[  ]  Smid
[  ]  Write in:_________________________
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1102 on: December 29, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »

Smid
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1103 on: December 30, 2009, 06:05:54 AM »

[  ]  segwaystyle2012 (GaryJohnson2012)
[X]  Smid
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1104 on: December 30, 2009, 08:10:29 AM »

I respectfully abstain. AndyCT is a big boy and he can make big boy decisions all on his lonesome here, just as we don't need him making an executive order suggesting who should be assembly speaker.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1105 on: December 30, 2009, 09:30:54 AM »

I respectfully abstain. AndyCT is a big boy and he can make big boy decisions all on his lonesome here, just as we don't need him making an executive order suggesting who should be assembly speaker.

It's not about what he needs or not, it's just how the Northeast Constitution works. Seeing how often you make lawsuits about the unconstitutionality of some practices, I thought you knew it better. Tongue
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1106 on: December 30, 2009, 11:32:33 AM »

It's not about what he needs or not, it's just how the Northeast Constitution works. Seeing how often you make lawsuits about the unconstitutionality of some practices, I thought you knew it better. Tongue

There's a lot of stupid crap in our constitution, and no reason why I can't abstain here on an essentially pointless vote to make commentary on it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1107 on: December 30, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »

There's a lot of stupid crap in our constitution, and no reason why I can't abstain here on an essentially pointless vote to make commentary on it.

True. Wink But I'm sure you have an opinion on this.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1108 on: December 30, 2009, 11:35:54 AM »

Who cares? There is no vote changing anyway!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1109 on: December 30, 2009, 11:37:31 AM »

And obviously I was uselessly trying to influentiate Mr. Moderate in order to make him change his vote, right ? Roll Eyes
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1110 on: December 30, 2009, 11:39:03 AM »

And obviously I was uselessly trying to influentiate Mr. Moderate in order to make him change his vote, right ? Roll Eyes

This isn't the first time you've harassed someone for voting a way you disagree with. I know what you did to azmagic and he absolutely owned your sorry self.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1111 on: December 30, 2009, 11:44:06 AM »

I know you are ready to anything to achieve your goals, but do you really think you will convince someone with your sneaky talking points ?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1112 on: December 30, 2009, 11:46:40 AM »

I know you are ready to anything to achieve your goals, but do you really think you will convince someone with your sneaky talking points ?

lol, pathetic.

So what is wrong with me wanting to achieve my goals? You don't want to achieve yours? azmagc was right: "You're such a dolt, dude."

Do you really think you will convince anyone with your sneaky talking points?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1113 on: December 30, 2009, 12:47:29 PM »

I'm looking to write an expansive bill centered on urban revitalization. Anyone interested in helping?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1114 on: December 30, 2009, 12:50:03 PM »

I'm looking to write an expansive bill centered on urban revitalization. Anyone interested in helping?

Sure, what sort of ideas did you have in mind?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1115 on: December 30, 2009, 12:52:20 PM »

Well, what I want is to create market-based initiatives to bring businesses back to urban centers, improve public schools in inner-city areas, and combat crime in urban centers. I believe if we can successfully manage to work on these three ideas, we can scale back the welfare state and create more opportunities for Northeasterners.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1116 on: December 30, 2009, 01:31:51 PM »

Well, what I want is to create market-based initiatives to bring businesses back to urban centers, improve public schools in inner-city areas, and combat crime in urban centers. I believe if we can successfully manage to work on these three ideas, we can scale back the welfare state and create more opportunities for Northeasterners.
I would think that making available tax credits and low-interest loans for potential business starters within urban areas could jump-start economic growth.

I think the best way to deal with crime would definitely be by employing positive-focused programs to reduce the causes of crime rather than on expanding policing which will only lead to more inner-city resentment.

For education, I'm not sure how much influence regional government should exert on local school systems. But I think the education system could be improved my focusing more on students as individuals. 

Perhaps establish a program to identify the most gifted students within inner city communities and ensure they are able to thrive in well-funded competitive schools, upon graduation of which they would be immediately eligible for a grant if they remain to improve their area?

Students who aren't interested in academics, on the other hand, should be provided the with the resources to develop another skill or trade valuable to society, rather than be forced to fail and grow disillusioned.

Also improvement of mass transportation services is a must for any urban revitalization program.

Just some ideas. Any thoughts? I could write some things up if you wish.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1117 on: December 30, 2009, 01:39:10 PM »

I would think that making available tax credits and low-interest loans for potential business starters within urban areas could jump-start economic growth.

I think the best way to deal with crime would definitely be by employing positive-focused programs to reduce the causes of crime rather than on expanding policing which will only lead to more inner-city resentment.

For education, I'm not sure how much influence regional government should exert on local school systems. But I think the education system could be improved my focusing more on students as individuals. 

Perhaps establish a program to identify the most gifted students within inner city communities and ensure they are able to thrive in well-funded competitive schools, upon graduation of which they would be immediately eligible for a grant if they remain to improve their area?

Students who aren't interested in academics, on the other hand, should be provided the with the resources to develop another skill or trade valuable to society, rather than be forced to fail and grow disillusioned.

Also improvement of mass transportation services is a must for any urban revitalization program.

Just some ideas. Any thoughts? I could write some things up if you wish.

These are all ideas I have advocated and support. But on problem with local inner-city school districts that they are often influenced by the corrupt politics and special interests.

These are some good ideas to start with. Another idea is a work from home program for single mothers.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1118 on: December 30, 2009, 01:43:52 PM »

These are all ideas I have advocated and support. But on problem with local inner-city school districts that they are often influenced by the corrupt politics and special interests.
Oh I agree completely. But does the region have jurisdiction to set policy for city school systems?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How would such a program work?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1119 on: December 30, 2009, 01:45:40 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How would such a program work?

Not sure but I will be looking in to it.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1120 on: December 30, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »

The Northeast Assembly recommends that Governor AndrewCT appoint the following Northeast citizen Lt. Governor:

[  ]  segwaystyle2012 (GaryJohnson2012)
[X]  Smid
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1121 on: December 30, 2009, 04:04:52 PM »

One of the things I had passed in the Northeast about a year or two ago was a bill creating a system of public school choice.  How it essentially works is that, in the Northeast, a parent has the right to choose which public school their student attends within certain reasonable limits. (It does not allow for regional funding of private schools, like a traditional voucher program might.)

Presumably, this law has encouraged the creation of magnet schools across the region.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1122 on: December 30, 2009, 05:30:17 PM »

One of the things I had passed in the Northeast about a year or two ago was a bill creating a system of public school choice.  How it essentially works is that, in the Northeast, a parent has the right to choose which public school their student attends within certain reasonable limits. (It does not allow for regional funding of private schools, like a traditional voucher program might.)

Presumably, this law has encouraged the creation of magnet schools across the region.

Yes, I've read this text, but I think what we need is a program that encourages these students to do better and ensures they have opportunities to stay in school.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1123 on: December 30, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »

By a vote of 3 in favor of Smid to 2 in favor of segwaystyle2012, with 1 declared abstention and 1 Northeast Representative not voting, the Northeast Assembly recommends that Governor AndrewCT appoint Smid the next Lt. Governor.

I will convey this information to the Governor.

Is there a motion to adjourn for the New Years' holiday until 8:00PM on Sunday, January 3, 2010, or shall we consider the first piece of legislation? 
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1124 on: December 30, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »

Consider legislation! The first piece was already started anyway Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length