Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:44:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378448 times)
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1325 on: January 11, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »

why do we need a balanced budget?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1326 on: January 11, 2010, 05:52:44 PM »

Government is not a business, it can not go go out of business.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1327 on: January 11, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »

Government is not a business, it can not go go out of business.

The Northeast can't print money.  Any debt service costs will have to come from the taxpayers, at the expense of something else.  Running a temporary deficit in a time of economic crisis is okay - for a very short period.  Turning that into a permanent structural deficit - or increasing the deficit when things are getting better - would be a huge problem.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1328 on: January 11, 2010, 07:48:06 PM »

Am I correct in assuming Rep. Hamilton wants each amendment voted on separately?  If so, I will offer an amendment to Section 4, which I hope will be deemed friendly.  It's intended to clean up the language in case only some of the other proposed amendments pass:

Section 4 : Budget severity

The Any remaining $3 billions amount shall be integrated to the budget of the Northeast Region and used for normal functioning expenses.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1329 on: January 11, 2010, 07:53:23 PM »

actually, let's do all of mine as one amendment. otherwise the math wont work out

Okay. 

The math would work if my amendment is deemed friendly, though. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1330 on: January 12, 2010, 02:36:27 AM »

The Any remaining $3 billions amount shall be integrated to the budget of the Northeast Region and used for normal functioning expenses.

Friendly, no problem with that.

BTW, you said that we should focus on budget severity : it's indeed what we do. As you see, almost half of the money will go there.

The economic recovery tax act was a good thing, but can"t be enough. We can't base a stimulus bill only on tax credits. My 3 goals (help to businesses, green activities and lower classes) are necessary for an equilibrated economy.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1331 on: January 12, 2010, 08:13:42 AM »

I again bring up the following grammatical point: It should be $500 million, not millions. And billion, again, without an s. Can we please correct this as friendly?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1332 on: January 12, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »

I again bring up the following grammatical point: It should be $500 million, not millions. And billion, again, without an s. Can we please correct this as friendly?

Friendly.
What do you think about the bill itself ?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1333 on: January 12, 2010, 01:14:27 PM »

Here are the changes I'd like to see made:

Northeast Economic Recovery Stimulus Act

The 7 billion dollars received by the Northeast Region from the Federal Government of Atlasia in accordance to Section 4 a) of the 2009 Atlasian Relief and Recovery Act, and the Regional and Local Fiscal Relief Act shall be employed as follows:

Section 1 : Regional Fund for Economic Recovery

1. The Regional Fund for Economic Recovery (RFER) is hereby established.
2. The RFER shall receive $1.5 billion dollars for its functioning.
3. The RFER shall have the authority to provide loans to any qualified small business expressly asking for which is in a situation close to bankruptcy. Said loans shall be considered as a monetary help coming from the Northeast Region.
4. The RFER shall be free to negotiate interest rates with businesses.
5. The RFER shall be established February 1st, 2010, and shall be dismissed at December 31st, 2014, unless the Northeast Legislative Assembly provides otherwise by a majority vote.

Section 2 : Investment in Green Jobs

1. The Northeast Region shall invest $500 million worth of no-interest loans in businesses in the renewable energy sector.
2. Businesses which are actively hiring new employees, or which seek to hire new employees through use of the no-interest loan, shall be given priority in the loan process.

Section 3 : Lower-class Economic Assistance

1. $1.5 billion shall serve to establish the Economic Recovery Allocation (ERA). The ERA shall be granted to any household in the lowest two income brackets in federal tax year 2009, as defined by the Fiscal Responsibility Act.
2. The amount each eligible household will receive shall be determined by dividing the number of eligible households into $1.5 billion.
3. The ERA is a one-time payment provided by the government of the Northeast for economic stimulus.

The remaining $3 billion shall be integrated into the operating budget of the Northeast Region. These funds shall be prioritized to (1) provide local aid, (2) avoid cuts of service or tax increases, and (3) cover tax revenue shortfalls experienced on a regional level as a result of the current economic recession. These funds shall not be used for the establishment of new services or entitlements.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1334 on: January 12, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »

It seems all very good.
Just one thing : what about subventions to enterprises employing long-time unemployed ? I think it's an important part of the bill.

Also, with the draft you have made, we have 3.5 bilion left for budget severity instead of 3. Wink
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1335 on: January 12, 2010, 04:31:17 PM »

It seems all very good.
Just one thing : what about subventions to enterprises employing long-time unemployed ? I think it's an important part of the bill.

Also, with the draft you have made, we have 3.5 bilion left for budget severity instead of 3. Wink

Oh. I actually took out $500 million because it looked like it was an inadvertent duplicate. I'll revise my version of the bill a little later.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1336 on: January 12, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »

I'm going to hold things open until 8PM so that Mr. Moderate and Antonio V can agree on language.  I don't want to put an amendment to a vote if I don't have to.

I will withdraw my amendment if not incorporated in Mr. Moderate's drafr.

We will commence a vote on Hamilton's unfriendly amendment - and any others - at 8PM.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1337 on: January 12, 2010, 08:00:44 PM »

I WAS going to commence a vote on Hamilton's proposed amendments, but I can't find it because  the Mods DELETED MY POST QUOTING IT.  This is a HUGE infringement on MY rights to post whatever I want - I'm no troll and on no list, and an affront against this body.

I will be IMMEDIATELY seeking an injunction against the mods in Federal court.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1338 on: January 12, 2010, 08:18:48 PM »

I will resign my seat if and only if the Governor first appoints segwaystyle2012 to replace me.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1339 on: January 12, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »

I will resign my seat if and only if the Governor first appoints segwaystyle2012 to replace me.

There is no need to resign your seat.   The mods aren't even Northeast citizens and have no business running this Assembly.

Please PM me your proposed amendment so I can put it on the floor. 
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1340 on: January 12, 2010, 08:27:16 PM »

There is no need to resign your seat.   The mods aren't even Northeast citizens and have no business running this Assembly.

I had it saved but erased once I saw you quoted it. Looks like I will have to start all over
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1341 on: January 12, 2010, 08:31:31 PM »

There is no need to resign your seat.   The mods aren't even Northeast citizens and have no business running this Assembly.

I had it saved but erased once I saw you quoted it. Looks like I will have to start all over

I think general tone of your amendment was to delete sections 2 and 3 and reallocate the funds to the RFER in Section 1 - though you might have also changed the text of Section 1 a bit.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1342 on: January 12, 2010, 08:32:10 PM »

I think general tone of your amendment was to delete section 2 and 3 and reallocate the funds to the RFER in Section 1 - though you might have also changed the text of Section 1 a bit.

I did change quite a bit of Section 1.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1343 on: January 12, 2010, 10:03:49 PM »

Don't resign please.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1344 on: January 12, 2010, 11:38:32 PM »

I WAS going to commence a vote on Hamilton's proposed amendments, but I can't find it because  the Mods DELETED MY POST QUOTING IT.  This is a HUGE infringement on MY rights to post whatever I want - I'm no troll and on no list, and an affront against this body.

Good luck with getting them to adhere to a fantasyland court order.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1345 on: January 12, 2010, 11:54:38 PM »

Good luck with getting them to adhere to a fantasyland court order.

Lucky for the mods, there won't be one. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1346 on: January 12, 2010, 11:58:59 PM »

I've been told the NE Assembly is a circus at the moment, so I took a peek. Carry on Wink
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1347 on: January 13, 2010, 12:07:12 AM »

I've been told the NE Assembly is a circus at the moment, so I took a peek. Carry on Wink

Don't blame me or this Assembly.  The actions of the moderators have made it impossible to run anything.  Legitimate amendments get proposed by sitting members of this Assembly, then deleted by the mods.  This Assembly simply cannot function if I don't have the text of proposed Amendments to put to a vote.  Votes are getting deleted by the mods - how can I get an accurate vote count?  

The mods are making my job impossible.  We have no power to throw members of this Assembly out of office.  Reps. Hamilton and Libertas are still sitting members, still able to propose amendments, still entitled to vote.  

This situation is an absolute disgrace that doesn't reflect well on the mods - especially when they are deleting posts of the Speaker of the Assembly.  I am the furthest thing from a troll.  I've done nothing wrong.

Quite frankly, if this isn't resolved within the next few days, I will resign from this Assembly and Atlasia.   I don't need this crap.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1348 on: January 13, 2010, 12:37:21 AM »

1) FWIW, I have a real big issue with the policy of deleting all posts made by posters defined as trolls (and creating such guidelines in the first place). 

2) I don't think it's successful because neither moderator or Dave Leip are on the board 24 hours a day and this encourages trolls to spam the boards during the times they aren't here because, well, they can get away with it.

3) Either you place a poster on mod review ("as a troll") such that legitimate posts get through but spamming is prevented or you ban the poster.

4) I think post moderation is becoming too overactive now because of the Post Moderation board, although it does make it easier to respond to complaints.  But seriously, should my post be deleted if I call NCYankee a schizophrenic or bipolar?  I don't think so, after all it is the truth and it's kinda funny too.

5) The reason why #1 and #4 are occurring is because Dave Leip refuses to engage in #3 and, as I have predicted and will continue to predict, most people will think him more unfair for engaging in #1 and #4 than if he had engaged in #3 to begin with.

6) Preventing moderators from deleting posts on these two boards is not the Supreme Court's responsibility which is why we denied your petition.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1349 on: January 13, 2010, 01:05:22 AM »

FTR, I've been on mod review before and haven't done anything to warrant it again (or else I'd be on it, obviously).

While on mod review, I was able to get many racist posts approved that were deleted  by another mod later. So I'm not sure that system, is very worthwhile.

In other words, you're saying that you should be banned.  Gotcha.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies