Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:37:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377605 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: January 13, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »

Sorry, folks.  Today has been an incredibly busy day for me.

Aye to the amendment.

I would otherwise prefer to keep businesses from getting a mass payout for doing absolutely nothing.  Hopefully, there will still be time to fix the addition error—I think it could do the most good wrapped up into Section 1.  (And FTR, I limited Section 1 to small businesses because small amounts of money could do huge amounts of good there.  A $1.5 billion loan to a company like GE would be a drop in a bucket.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1376 on: January 14, 2010, 01:47:11 AM »

Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1377 on: January 14, 2010, 05:36:43 AM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1378 on: January 14, 2010, 02:51:01 PM »

Aye to the amendment, because it cleans up the language. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1379 on: January 14, 2010, 08:09:52 PM »

By a vote of 5-1 with one absence, the amendment to the bill passes.  We will now vote on final passage of the bill, as amended:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This vote shall be held open until 8:10 PM on Friday, January 15, 2010, unless all Representatives shall have voted sooner. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1380 on: January 14, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2010, 11:49:42 AM by MasterJedi »

I also vote Nay on final passage.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1381 on: January 14, 2010, 09:09:43 PM »

Aye
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #1382 on: January 14, 2010, 09:34:11 PM »

Nay.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1383 on: January 15, 2010, 11:09:26 AM »

Aye.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1384 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »

Aye
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1385 on: January 15, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »

Aye man
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1386 on: January 15, 2010, 02:26:54 PM »

By a vote of 4-3 (including Libertas' vote, which was deleted by the moderators, who continue to censor my posts), the Northeast Economic Recovery Stimulus Act passes and will be presented to the Governor for his signature.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1387 on: January 15, 2010, 02:38:18 PM »

Next matter:

Amendments to the SOAP for a faster legislative work

1. Section 3, subsection (a) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : All proposed legislation shall be open for debate for no less than fourty-eight (48) hours after the Lt. Governor places it on the Northeast Assembly floor. The Lt. Governor shall have the authority to extend the debating period upon ask of any Representative. No extension of the debate period shall exceed 48 hours, and no shortening shall exceed 24 hours.
2. Section 3, subsection (f) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : A final vote on the proposed legislation shall take place after the Lt. Governor certifies the vote on any proposed amendments (or, if there are no such amendments, at the end of the debate period). Such votes shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours, or until an absolute majority of all Representative has voted in favor of said legislation, if earlier. A piece of proposed legislation shall pass if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).
3. Section 3, subsection (h) of the SOAP is hereby repealed.

Sponsor: Rep. Antonio V

The question is whether the Amendment to the SOAP should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 2:40PM Eastern on Sunday, January 17, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative Antonio V, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1388 on: January 15, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »

For reference, the current text of the SOAP is here.

Section 3(h) states:
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1389 on: January 15, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »

I guess the purpose of this bill is self-explanatory. More flexibility for the debating time (by suppressing the necessity of a vote), as well as limiting it too avoid excessive debating times. Plus, the possibility to end a vote as soon as the bill attains the absolute majority.
I precise, if it wasn't clear, that any power granted to the Lt Gov is authomatically granted to the speaker, so cinyc can handle this as he wishes.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1390 on: January 15, 2010, 05:14:40 PM »

I move strike your Section 2.  

Every representative should be entitled to go on record and vote, even if his or her vote is meaningless.   Waiting for a reasonable period to ensure that is the least we can do.  24 hours is reasonable, as most folks aren't on here every hour of the day and night.

I'm going to have to think whether deleting Section 3(h) has any unintended consequences.  On its face, it refers to Section 3(d), which you're not proposing to amend.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1391 on: January 15, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »

I don't like it so much, but I accept striking Section 2 if you really hold to that. Anyways, I hereby Amend the bill as follows :

1. Section 3, subsection (a) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : All proposed legislation shall be open for debate for no less than thirty-six (36) hours after the Lt. Governor places it on the Northeast Assembly floor. The Lt. Governor shall have the authority to extend the debating period upon ask of any Representative. No extension of the debate period shall exceed 60 hours, and no shortening shall exceed 18 hours.
2. Section 3, subsection (f) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : A final vote on the proposed legislation shall take place after the Lt. Governor certifies the vote on any proposed amendments (or, if there are no such amendments, at the end of the debate period). Such votes shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours, or until an absolute majority of all Representative has voted in favor of said legislation, if earlier. A piece of proposed legislation shall pass if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).
3. Section 3, subsection (h) of the SOAP is hereby repealed.

If there is a broad consensus on the bill, 36 hours are perfectly sufficient to handle this. If not, I increased the "potential increade" time proportionally. This will help us gaining much time for passing new legislation.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1392 on: January 17, 2010, 02:33:51 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2010, 02:37:18 AM by cinyc »

36 hours presents a challenge for the chair.  If I start debate at 8PM, I'd have to end it at 8AM, and vice versa.  Most people who live in the eastern time zone are on their way to work or school at time - or already there.  Starting it during a lunch break in the afternoon, say at 1 or 2, would require a vote be open in the early morning, when most people are in bed.  Starting and ending at the same time of the day makes things easier to schedule - and less difficult to forget.

48 hours (or something close to it) works best from an administrative standpoint.  I propose you change 36 to 48.  The other changes are fine.

FYI - we can't repeal section (h) of the SOAP if we keep 3(d) and (f).  Instead, we need to amend it as follows:

(h) Any Representative may make a motion to suspend sections 3(a), 3(d) or 3(f) of this Standing Order to increase or decrease the time of the debate or voting period. The motion shall be immediately put to a vote on the Northeast Assembly floor. Such vote shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours, or until all Representatives have voted, if earlier. If the motion passes by a vote of the majority of all Representatives (with abstentions and absences counted as nay votes), the relevant period shall be changed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1393 on: January 17, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »

The whole point of the bill was to make the debating time the shorter possible. If you want it to be done at the same exact time, then why not setting it to 24 instead of 48 ? The potential increase period will be raised proportionally.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1394 on: January 17, 2010, 04:45:12 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2010, 04:53:26 AM by Northeast Representative Antonio V »

1. Section 3, subsection (a) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : All proposed legislation shall be open for debate for twenty-four (24) hours after the Lt. Governor places it on the Northeast Assembly floor. The Lt. Governor shall have the authority to extend or shorten the debating period upon ask of any Representative. No extension of the debate period shall exceed 72 hours, and no shortening shall exceed 12 hours.
2. Section 3, subsection (h) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : The Lt. Governor shall have the authority to extend the voting period upon ask of any Representative. No extension of the voting period shall exceed 24 hours.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1395 on: January 17, 2010, 01:06:50 PM »

The reason the default debate period is 48 hours is because not every Representative is on this board every day or every hour of the day.  It used to be 72 hours - but was lowered to 48 when someone proposed 24 hours in the past.  48 hours is fair.

What you'd get under my proposal is the chair's discretion to lessen or lengthen the debate period upon request.  A vote is technically required for that now.

Your 3(h) proposal doesn't work well with the current 3(d) or (e), which you left unchanged.

I move to change 24 to 48 in your new proposal, and if that passes, keep my earlier  proposed changes to 3(h).

This will likely be deemed unfriendly and put to a vote.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1396 on: January 17, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2010, 02:50:36 PM by cinyc »

Voting will commence on the amendments to the bill:

Amendment 1:

Separate Amendment 2, to become effective only upon the passage of Amendment 1:

This vote shall be held open until the earlier of 2:50PM on Monday, January 18, or all Representatives shall have voted.

Please specify your votes on each amendment:
Amendment 1:
Amendment 2:
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1397 on: January 17, 2010, 02:53:54 PM »

Amendment 1: Aye
Amendment 2: Aye

I usually wait to vote, but since it's my own amendment, will vote now.  24 hours is too short of a default debate period.  My amendment provides for the status quo, but allows a shorter or longer period if the chair grants a request of a Representative without a vote of all members.

Amendment 2 is a closer call to me, but I don't think Rep. Antonio V's language works well with the SOAP as written.  Plus, I don't see why we'd need to increase the voting period.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #1398 on: January 17, 2010, 03:16:41 PM »

Agreed. 24 hours is just too short.

Amendment 1: Aye

Amendment 2: Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt