Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:45:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 [114] 115 116 117 118 119 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377554 times)
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2825 on: November 15, 2010, 01:07:12 AM »

More inactivity encourages abolition of the office of Lt. Gov. I therefore find Fezzy's conduct admirable and befitting of a useless office.

Nay.

The job of the Lieutenant Governor is to preside over the Northeast Assembly, to open up election booths, to step in for the governor, etc.

If you're against the NE Lt. Gov position, then you should be against the national Vice President position just as well.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #2826 on: November 15, 2010, 02:24:12 AM »

Abstain
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2827 on: November 15, 2010, 06:43:14 AM »

Aye.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2828 on: November 15, 2010, 07:39:49 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2010, 07:42:11 PM by Verily »

More inactivity encourages abolition of the office of Lt. Gov. I therefore find Fezzy's conduct admirable and befitting of a useless office.

Nay.

The job of the Lieutenant Governor is to preside over the Northeast Assembly, to open up election booths, to step in for the governor, etc.

If you're against the NE Lt. Gov position, then you should be against the national Vice President position just as well.

Did someone say I wasn't? I'm not really all that big on the positions of Governor or President.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2829 on: November 15, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »

The impeachment measure fails.

Ayes: 3
Nays: 1
Abstentions: 1
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2830 on: November 15, 2010, 10:20:32 PM »

We shall move on to the next piece of legislation.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Rep. Polnut

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least November 17th, 10:20 PM unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The sponsor, Polnut, has the floor.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2831 on: November 15, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »

Just a few questions I have,

Does 'course' just imply 'session' or is it a class?

Also, not asking for specific numbers, but will this fee help mitigate the affect that this will have on the budget?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2832 on: November 15, 2010, 10:48:16 PM »

Why is it so incredibly necessary that schoolchildren get Hepatitis B vaccinations?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2833 on: November 15, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2010, 11:15:23 PM by Fmr Gov, NE Rep. Polnut »

Thank you Mr Speaker,

Hepatitis B is a terrible disease, it also, incredibly common.

This is disease that is carried in bodily fluids, and unlike many of the more feared infectious diseases, including saliva.

The condition leads to painful inflammation of the liver, and has been linked a key cause in primary liver cancer, with the effects similar to that of chronic alcoholism.

The disease is currently in epidemic proportions in many parts of the world, with 400m people world-wide currently infected with chronic hepatitis B, which is treatable, but not curable.

It is highly infectious, and this adolescent age group has been specifically targeted for vaccination programs around the world. When you are infected as an adult, assuming medical attention is quickly gained, most will recover fully. This age group, however, has little immunity to battle the virus, so a significant proportion of those infected under the age of 21, will carry the disease with them for the rest of their lives. With the massive increased risk of liver cirrhosis and cancer.

The traditional method of vaccination is 3 injections over 3 months, this is to slowly increase immunity. So this is what is meant in the Bill as a 'course'.

This is an age at which children are more social and learning about their sexuality. While it is primarily an STI, it is one of the most easily gained and spread infectious diseases.

It should also be noted that it is recommended by Doctors also for children at a younger age who play contact sports.

There is also a public health element, Hepatitis B can develop into a pandemic very quickly if measures are not taken to control it. While developing countries are most at risk, there have been many localised outbreaks in areas of the developed world too.

This is a program with limited cost impacts, but considerable social and health benefits. The contribution from parents will reduce the impact on the bottom line by roughly a third of what it would cost if it were fully government funded.

This disease exists, it's effects are horrific, and our young people are the most at risk. It seems common sense in the face of a preventable disease, to do what we can to prevent it.

Thank you Mr Speaker.

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2834 on: November 15, 2010, 11:30:41 PM »

Luckily, we live in a first world country in which vaccination rates for Hepatitis B and related diseases are high and infection rates are low.  The majority of unvaccinated children are so because their parents objected to the vaccination for religious, or medical reasons, or due to personal choice.  The main effect of this bill would be to publicly identify the unvaccinated children at school, opening them to social ostracization and ridicule.  Furthermore, a simple cost-benefit analysis would reveal that the money would save far more lives if it were spent on, say, tuberculosis vaccines in the developing world, or the like.  The only people who should be under any obligation to vaccinate their children are the parents, and it ought to be their decision alone.  Parents do not always make the right decision, but adopting a one size fits all policy will not help matters.  This is a wasteful, expensive program that will do little good (indeed, do some bad) for the considerable investment, of other peoples' money, which they should decide how to spend themselves, involved.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2835 on: November 15, 2010, 11:52:22 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2010, 06:24:21 AM by Fmr Gov, NE Rep. Polnut »

If I can respond.

Yes, there is a large proportion of children who are already vaccinated, and that's a good thing.

The honourable gentleman has forgotten those may not have been vaccinated as a child, were not, due to financial circumstances.

This is not compulsory, I never have and never will consider such an approach, parents have the right to not vaccinate their children, as do the students up to the point that their rights become more autonomous from their parents.

There is no desire to ostracise unvaccinated children, and the Gentleman knows this full well, and this is a highly melodramatic attempt. 

Let me repeat, this is not a mandatory action, parents and older students will still have that fundamental right to go ahead or refuse.

The key element that the Gentleman misses is that for parents who want their children to be immunised but were unable to do it due to financial restraints, no longer have that concern.

I also agree that mass TB vaccinations in the third world would be a great program.

But let me just do it this way

1. this is not compulsory
2. this fills in gaps where parents were unable to have their child immunised or for older students to do so
3. this is not an expensive program taking into account the proportions already immunised and
4. the rights of parents to object remains in place.

While I expect most Bills requiring spending to be opposed by the Gentleman, this is low-cost opportunity for immunity against a dangerous disease, with no rights being impinged on. 
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2836 on: November 16, 2010, 07:05:50 PM »

I agree with Polnut that the financial aspect is the strongest selling point of this bill. Many children are not given the option of vaccination because of their parents' financial situations. The health care plans marketed to low-income families typically do not cover HepB vaccinations, and generally speaking affordability makes a significant bar to many childhood vaccines. It is our manifest duty not to punish children for the financial troubles of their parents, and to alleviate that disparity whenever possible.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2837 on: November 17, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »

We shall now hold a vote on the Hepatitis B Prevention Bill. Representatives have 24 hours to vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2838 on: November 17, 2010, 10:43:43 PM »

Nay

(Representatives should consider that Atlasia already has a UHC system that pays for vaccinations in full.  This measure therefore does nothing but to harass those who choose not to be vaccinated).
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2839 on: November 17, 2010, 10:46:28 PM »

Nay.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2840 on: November 17, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2010, 11:10:59 PM by Fmr Gov, NE Rep. Polnut »

Aye

I would like to stress that this is about back-filling gaps that do exist, there are many children who were not vaccinated, and many parents who would take advantage of such a program. While I note the gentleman's concern for the vilification of children, this is hyperbole in the face of an affordable program that has international evidence to attest to its effectiveness.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2841 on: November 17, 2010, 11:36:04 PM »

Aye
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2842 on: November 18, 2010, 01:58:21 PM »

I suppose it fails, then.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2843 on: November 18, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »

I don't think it does anything. Ties don't default to defeats, they go to the LG. Or, you know, hypocritical people could actually vote.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2844 on: November 18, 2010, 04:05:46 PM »

Morgan hasn't voted yet, guys.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2845 on: November 18, 2010, 04:44:57 PM »

Therefore it'll go down, lol
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2846 on: November 18, 2010, 04:50:24 PM »

You said it would be 24 hours to vote, it's been like 30.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2847 on: November 18, 2010, 05:43:31 PM »

You said it would be 24 hours to vote, it's been like 30.

What am I missing Huh

We shall now hold a vote on the Hepatitis B Prevention Bill. Representatives have 24 hours to vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

We have until 10:25 PM tonight.

I wouldn't count Morgan as a sure-fire Nay on this.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2848 on: November 18, 2010, 05:47:03 PM »

Thought it was 10:25 AM.  My bad.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp