Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:03:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378474 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3350 on: February 26, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »

Hmm, seems you're right.  Anyways, I find that too vague (after an elected official is stripped of their position, what then?), so I'll amend my amendment (Tongue) to replace that one.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3351 on: February 27, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would like to propose an amendment. My concern is that in the Senate, it is quite hard to keep track of what would count as consecutive votes. Unlike our Assembly, which deals with a bill at a time, the Senate works on multiple pieces of legislation at once. Some get passed quicker than others. Enforcing it would be a mess. Rather, by keeping the quite strict standard of four missed non-consecutive votes, I believe we will achieve the same results. Also notice that I have not messed around with provision 3. It will be much easier to keep track of what are consecutive signing/vetoing of bills in our assembly thread.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3352 on: February 27, 2011, 12:23:07 AM »

Amendment accepted as friendly, though I'll also take out the phrase "non-consecutive."
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3353 on: February 28, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2011, 01:52:22 PM by Keep Your Teeth Clean »

Edit: Debate has closed, we will now enter voting procedure on this amendment.  Approval of an amendment requires a two-thirds vote of a majority of assemblymen.  (5 assemblymen, minimum is 2 in favor, 1 opposed).

tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3354 on: February 28, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »

Aye.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3355 on: February 28, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »

Aye.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3356 on: February 28, 2011, 03:53:44 PM »

Aye
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3357 on: February 28, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »

/e/
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3358 on: March 01, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »

Voting is now over.

The amendment passes with 4 yeas, 0 nays, and 1 not voting.

I will now ask the governor to start a voting booth for this amendment.  The amendment requires 2/3rds approval from at least 1/3rd of registered voters in the Northeast (39 registered voters, so at least 13 would need to vote).
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3359 on: March 01, 2011, 12:32:30 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2011, 03:01:37 PM by Keep Your Teeth Clean »

We shall now move on to the next piece of legislation...

Sponsor: Rep. Jake Matthews

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate shall continue until March 3, 2011, 12:32 PM EST, unless debate is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The sponsor, Jake Matthews, has the floor.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3360 on: March 01, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »

Thank you Mr. Speaker.

My friends, during my campaign around the region, I met many people. I shared stories, laughs and even moments of sorrow. When I asked these people what they'd like to see changed in our region, the overwhelming response was our tax structure. Currently our tax structure is so confusing, not even I can figure it out. There's so many different brackets for taxation, it is too much. With the passage of this proposal, not only will we see a drastic change in our region's economic prosperity, but we will also see a greater increase in our constituents' happiness, which is what we should all desire.

I yield back the balance of my time.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3361 on: March 01, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

I'll suggest we amend it so that the tax will be 5.5%, instead of 8%, given the current tax law; I wouldn't want Grover Norquist getting all pissy.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3362 on: March 01, 2011, 02:58:53 PM »

I think 5.5 is more reasonable. So, do we vote on the amendment itself and add it to the bill if it passes or will we just vote on the amended bill?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3363 on: March 01, 2011, 03:00:55 PM »

I think 5.5 is more reasonable. So, do we vote on the amendment itself and add it to the bill if it passes or will we just vote on the amended bill?

If the sponsor of the bill accepts an amendment as friendly, then it doesn't need to be voted on.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3364 on: March 01, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »

I'll accept the amendment.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3365 on: March 01, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »

Who are we to decide what is or isn't a health hazard?
I see you included marijuana, which is legal for medicinal purposes in many states and likely will be in Connecticut soon. It makes no sense to have prescribed medications legislated as a health hazard, itself a vague term with no restrictions on application. Is a mountain bike or an automobile a health hazard that we will be taxing? I can't in good faith vote in favor of a tax system that is discriminatory against the poorest among us and those who are in need of medical assistance. Consequently, I think that our tax codes should be aimed at helping these people rise up and/or have the ability to get their medications at fair market costs rather than having sin taxes that are quite arbitrary and undefined.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3366 on: March 01, 2011, 05:32:34 PM »

I see you included marijuana, which is legal for medicinal purposes in many states and likely will be in Connecticut soon.

A non-sequitur, marijuana is legal for all purposes everywhere in Atlasia. Wink

With or without good faith, you can't vote without swearing in...

I agree with Napoleon about that section, btw.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3367 on: March 01, 2011, 05:38:12 PM »

I swore in a few days I ago, I thought. I just copied sbane.
Thanks for letting me know the legal status of marijuana has been changed. I still contend that we should not be deciding which specific products should or should not be taxed, though I would be fine with general sales tax exemptions for necessities such as food. I would offer my own amendment but I lack the legal expertise in drafting statute free of loopholes or legal ambiguities.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3368 on: March 01, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »

Who are we to decide what is or isn't a health hazard?
I see you included marijuana, which is legal for medicinal purposes in many states and likely will be in Connecticut soon. It makes no sense to have prescribed medications legislated as a health hazard, itself a vague term with no restrictions on application. Is a mountain bike or an automobile a health hazard that we will be taxing? I can't in good faith vote in favor of a tax system that is discriminatory against the poorest among us and those who are in need of medical assistance. Consequently, I think that our tax codes should be aimed at helping these people rise up and/or have the ability to get their medications at fair market costs rather than having sin taxes that are quite arbitrary and undefined.

Marijuana is already legal recreationally...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3369 on: March 01, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2011, 07:10:16 PM by sbane »

I would like to propose an amendment. First of all I think we need to add an exemption to the flat tax to help the poorest amongst us. I would prefer a progressive tax, with few brackets, but this is still better than the bill as currently written. I would also like to disagree with Jake's point that extra brackets are what make tax filing a chore. The brackets are a minor inconvenience, but it is the scores of different deductions out there that really gets people frustrated since you have to figure out your eligibility for each deduction. That is what makes tax filing confusing and time consuming for most people. Although there are a bunch of these deduction at the federal level, I don't think they exist at our regional level. If they do, I would be in support of a real tax simplification bill where all such deductions are repealed.

Furthermore, there is no need to ban sales and property taxes. Property taxes are what really concern me, since they are a local matter and the main source of revenue for our municipalities. Will the region now be supplying all of our municipalities with tax revenue?

I also struck out provision 7 as my edit of provision 1 would violate it. I don't think it is fair for someone who earns $20k a year, and somehow puts a roof over his head and food on his plate, to pay the same tax rate as someone who makes $100k. Yes, confiscatory tax rates should be avoided and are nothing but rank class warfare. But at the other end, you have to be practical and realize not everyone can pay the same amount of taxes as everybody else. I do believe my exemption for the first $15k of income is a common sense measure to help the poor, and is most certainly not class warfare.

I should also add that income tax revenue tends to be quite volatile, as opposed to sales tax revenue. I don't think it would be a good idea to get rid of the sales tax entirely.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3370 on: March 01, 2011, 07:13:13 PM »

I'm sorry Sbane, but I'm not going to accept that amendment. Looks like we have to vote on it. Mr. Speaker, may we please begin a vote on the amendment?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3371 on: March 01, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »

Could you clarify something for me, Jake? When you say no other taxes will be established other than the income tax, do you mean by the region or are you going to force the municipalities to do the same? Where do you suppose municipalities will get their money? How will the schools be paid for?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3372 on: March 01, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »

Could you clarify something for me, Jake? When you say no other taxes will be established other than the income tax, do you mean by the region or are you going to force the municipalities to do the same? Where do you suppose municipalities will get their money? How will the schools be paid for?

Just for the region, the municipalities will conduct their own ways of taxation.

As for schools, I personally support school choice but I would never propose or support legislation to defund public schools.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3373 on: March 01, 2011, 07:47:10 PM »

Just for the region, the municipalities will conduct their own ways of taxation.

As for schools, I personally support school choice but I would never propose or support legislation to defund public schools.

All right, that is good to hear. I still think we shouldn't get rid of sales taxes, so I will be voting for my amendment.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3374 on: March 01, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »

All right, that is good to hear. I still think we shouldn't get rid of sales taxes, so I will be voting for my amendment.

Sales taxes are useless, it's paying another few dollars and cents when money's already tight.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 [135] 136 137 138 139 140 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies