Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:20:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 380142 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3400 on: March 05, 2011, 06:36:59 AM »

If I may butt in here...

I did end up here initially through a weird confluence of events.

But personally however we get there, it's how you treat that privilege. I never put myself in as a joke, I was fully prepared to serve. However, my surprise was based on the idea that I would have gotten enough votes to actually secure a place, not because I didn't take the idea seriously... k Tongue

I for the record support reducing the size of the Assembly. 
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3401 on: March 05, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2011, 10:55:53 AM by Noot Gengrech Twuntee Twelv »

Dallas has made a great point. I haven't been here nearly as long as he has, so I'd like to propose an amendment.

"vii) The Northeast Assembly shall be composed of five members, each of whom shall be registered voters residing in the Northeast Region."

To:
"vii) The Northeast Assembly shall be composed of five members, each of whom shall be registered voters residing in the Northeast Region. However, if the population grows beyond or below a specific threshold, the Northeast Assembly shall possess the ability to amend this amendment to either increase or decrease the amount of Representatives in the Northeast Assembly."

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3402 on: March 05, 2011, 10:50:15 AM »

Jumps into the debate...

The best part of this game are the elections. That being said, the elections for the Northeast Assembly are extremely predictable.

Jake, I know you think 5 is a small number, but in the last election, there were only  5 or so candidates. When's the last time the Northeast has had more candidates actually running than there were seats for? I don't think there ever has been.

At this point, the only arguement I could see for having such a large Assembly is so that as many people as possible can be involved. If that's what the majority of you want, then why don't you just give everyone in the Northeast the power to vote in the Assembly and do away with the elections?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3403 on: March 05, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »

Jumps into the debate...

The best part of this game are the elections. That being said, the elections for the Northeast Assembly are extremely predictable.

Jake, I know you think 5 is a small number, but in the last election, there were only  5 or so candidates. When's the last time the Northeast has had more candidates actually running than there were seats for? I don't think there ever has been.

At this point, the only arguement I could see for having such a large Assembly is so that as many people as possible can be involved. If that's what the majority of you want, then why don't you just give everyone in the Northeast the power to vote in the Assembly and do away with the elections?

Alright, 5 seems fair enough. I amended my amendment Tongue
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #3404 on: March 05, 2011, 11:58:34 AM »

I support reducing the size of the Assembly, FWIW.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3405 on: March 05, 2011, 12:18:24 PM »

Mr. Speaker, should we begin voting on my amendment or will we not be doing so?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3406 on: March 05, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »

We need to wait for The Economist to say whether he will accept it as friendly or not.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3407 on: March 05, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »

If I may butt in here...

I did end up here initially through a weird confluence of events.

But personally however we get there, it's how you treat that privilege. I never put myself in as a joke, I was fully prepared to serve. However, my surprise was based on the idea that I would have gotten enough votes to actually secure a place, not because I didn't take the idea seriously... k Tongue

Well, I more had Gramps and Earl in mind when I said that than you.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3408 on: March 05, 2011, 12:43:14 PM »

We need to wait for The Economist to say whether he will accept it as friendly or not.

He hasn't been online to even participate in the debate.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3409 on: March 05, 2011, 12:44:35 PM »

He hasn't been online to even participate in the debate.

Unfortunately, that is the case...

Nevertheless, procedure can't just be dumped by the wayside.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3410 on: March 05, 2011, 06:32:42 PM »

With no objections, I'm ruling that the GTO Remembrance Act has passed.
The Economist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3411 on: March 05, 2011, 10:20:01 PM »

I won't accept the amendment as friendly, just because what was added on is completely useless.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3412 on: March 05, 2011, 10:25:17 PM »

I won't accept the amendment as friendly, just because what was added on is completely useless.

Yeah, now that I look back on it, the amendment is redundant. I withdraw my amendment.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3413 on: March 06, 2011, 04:29:09 PM »

We shall now vote on the Making Competitive Elections Amendment.  Voting shall continue until March 7, 2011, 4:29 PM EST.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3414 on: March 06, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »

Nay.

I believe that our large assembly is an asset to the region.  New members can get a start and a feel for politics as soon as the next assembly election.  A small assembly protects the same incumbents over and over again, and prevents new members from having a say.  While some might say that it is a system similar to the Pacific or Midwest, this is not in fact the case, as the small obstacle of actually having to run a campaign for the seat at least ensures that everyone voting is genuinely interested in performing the duties of Assemblyman, as opposed to merely being a zombie told to vote one way or another by party bosses.  I think it would be a grave error for our region to change its constitution in this manner.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3415 on: March 06, 2011, 06:16:20 PM »

Abstain.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3416 on: March 06, 2011, 10:41:15 PM »

Nay
The Economist
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3417 on: March 06, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »

Aye
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3418 on: March 07, 2011, 05:28:26 PM »

This amendment fails, 2 nays, 1 aye, 1 abstaining, 2 not voting.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3419 on: March 08, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »

Sponsor: Rep. Jake Matthews

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate shall continue until March 10, 2011, 3:19 PM EST, unless debate is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The sponsor, Jake Matthews, has the floor.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3420 on: March 08, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »

Friends,

For far too long we have seen businesses, large and small, take advantage and victimize consumers by falsely advertising their products. I have seen advertisements for hand towels that can supposedly hold twice their weight in liquid, yet when I bought the product, it failed to do so. I found out later that you need to apply a specific amount of pressure for it to work. That is one of the many examples of a corporation falsely advertising their product. This bill simply lays out rules that need to be followed in the advertisement industry and lay out repercussions if any of the rules are broken. I ask for your "aye" vote in an attempt to improve the consumer-business relationship and bring honesty back into advertising.

Thank you.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3421 on: March 08, 2011, 04:22:48 PM »

I respectfully disagree with the sponsor of this bill.  If a person feels they have been falsely advertised to in a particularly egregious manner, they may already sue the advertiser for recompense, or file a complaint with a private organization like the Better Business Bureau.  Furthermore, nearly all retailers have return or money-back policies for unsatisfied customers.  Making "false advertisement" a criminal offense is wholly absurd, and this bill is sure to create a huge number of spurious complaints that would waste millions of dollars worth of regional court time and litigation fees ("I bought this treadmill, but I didn't lose any weight!"  "It wasn't the best movie of the year!").  The example that the sponsor gives is telling; the possibilities of a product do not always match the typical outcomes (not everyone gets fit on the treadmill or likes the movie), but that doesn't mean that it ought to be a criminal offense to advertise possibilities.  In the end, the best option simply is to allow each company to build a reputation.  If a company skirts the line with their advertising, and builds a poor reputation with consumers, then not as many people will patronize them in the future.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3422 on: March 08, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »

Well, I may not have made it explicitally clear that "false advertisement" shall apply to when a product does not work, like making a claim that "I didn't lose any weight on this treadmill!" Is not going to be heard in a court, but if the person bought the treadmill and it short circuited and electrocuted them, that will be heard. Even if a company offers a money back guarantee, that applies to if one is disatisfied with the product, but if one is disatisfied and also feels that the product caused them legitimate harm (injury of sorts) or if does not fulfill it's proper usage as advertised, they may file a complaint with the Government. Yes, there will be court costs, but it makes for a safer product and more truth in advertisement.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3423 on: March 10, 2011, 02:25:45 PM »

Is this

really suitable for "legislation"?

On another note, the penalties established are very minimal and I'd assume that they'd be meaningless to any kind of large company wealthy enough to advertise it's products on airwaves or such.

Wormyguy also makes a compelling argument, I support the notion of consumer protection but laws like this only complicate things, lead to more class action lawsuits, and make it really difficult for people to advertise. What would happen to Super Bowl commercials?
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3424 on: March 10, 2011, 03:57:44 PM »

Is this

really suitable for "legislation"?

On another note, the penalties established are very minimal and I'd assume that they'd be meaningless to any kind of large company wealthy enough to advertise it's products on airwaves or such.

Wormyguy also makes a compelling argument, I support the notion of consumer protection but laws like this only complicate things, lead to more class action lawsuits, and make it really difficult for people to advertise. What would happen to Super Bowl commercials?

To your first point, possibly. I was attempting to emphasize my point. Also, I do understand that the penalties are minimal, but I intend to add an amendment, I just need to figure out what they should be. Do you have any ideas? As for your point about superbowl commercials, I understand that the intent is to be enternaining and an advertisement can be such until the product is lied about or overexaggerated.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141 142 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies