Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:09:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378627 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3925 on: June 21, 2011, 11:20:55 AM »

We can't even expect our legislators to check a thread?

To be honest, no. Those that write themselves in on their ballot and immediately get elected to the Assembly because there are so many open seats often have no real sense of responsibility - it means nothing to them if they're elected to or removed from office. The only vote which mattered in their election was their own, so why would they feel accountable for their actions to their constituents, much less participate constructively in the legislature? I think that we need to address this reality, which will become even more difficult to avoid in the next session, with a measure that reminds such legislators of their duty.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3926 on: June 21, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »

If the Governor wants to take such responsibility on, it is completely within their right to do so.  I however, do not agree with such a bill that would relieves our officials in the Assembly from individual responsibility.  An Assembly members actions, or lack thereof rather, is reflective of his/her commitment to this region.  If I know someone requires the Governor or Speaker to hold their hand and tell them when to vote, I'm not inclined to elect them again.

The Speaker has the responsibility of directing this Assembly, yes.  He does not however, have the responsibility of sending out reminders every time legislation comes to a vote.  I would rather the Speaker call 24 hours vote, and close the vote as close to that set period as possible.  I can understand sending one of the active members of this Assembly a reminder on the off chance that they have been busy.  I don't want to see the Speaker introducing training wheels to our less motivated and committed members.

I can understand where this bill is coming from but, do you really think a reminder will help debate?  If they have no commitment already, I doubt a PM will force anything but partisan based "vote this way", if they are convinced to vote at all.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3927 on: June 21, 2011, 12:00:32 PM »

If the Governor wants to take such responsibility on, it is completely within their right to do so.  I however, do not agree with such a bill that would relieves our officials in the Assembly from individual responsibility.  An Assembly members actions, or lack thereof rather, is reflective of his/her commitment to this region.  If I know someone requires the Governor or Speaker to hold their hand and tell them when to vote, I'm not inclined to elect them again.

But my point is that this sentiment, as reasonable as it is, just doesn't apply to the reality that we are forced to deal with. I'm not concerned with the Assembly's active membership - this bill is meant to address the problem of "casual candidates becoming absent legislators". You or I have no say in the election of someone who writes himself in. That person may not even realize that they've won a seat in the Assembly, if they don't check the right threads. If they recieve notifications, they might come to realize that they are expected to conform to certain standards of conduct befitting the office that they hold. The people of the Northeast have the right to be represented by the legislators that they chose, and I think that it is the Assembly's responsibility to ensure that that representation comes about, even if it requires a bit of "hand-holding". If the member still does not respond to notifications, then by all means he should be thrown out - but I believe that we should at least try to contact the absentee member before he is removed from office.

Will a reminder help debate? Not likely. But I do not think that it can harm debate - and if it manages to turn one member into an active participant in debate, then the amendment will have been worthwhile.

If the Governor or Lieutenant Governor or Speaker   
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3928 on: June 21, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »

Well.. Perhaps we should send PM's to members that have been elected, rather than for every voting session?  Maybe a reminder that 2 consecutive votes have been missed by the CJO.  I just can't see having the Speaker telling everyone that a vote is currently in progress.  If Jake is successful in his determination to see several pieces passed in a month, the Speaker will be quite busy messaging uncommitted people for every vote.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3929 on: June 21, 2011, 12:15:52 PM »

I'd rather those schmucks get booted if they choose not to do their job.

LOL at mentioning the Governor. Ghostwhite can't even do anything without being PMed. We might need a law for that too. Tongue
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3930 on: June 21, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »

Obviously we don't have time to vote on this, so the debate will have to carry over into the next session once a speaker is elected.

I suppose this session of the Assembly concludes at midnight tonight, since newly elected assemblymen are constitutionally required to officially assume office today.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3931 on: June 21, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »

Was an honor being here for as long as I was, then.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3932 on: June 21, 2011, 11:08:13 PM »

A sincere thank-you to Marokai, Napoleon, sbane and Jake for their work these two months. It's been a pleasure to work with all of you, and I'm quite proud of our collaboration.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3933 on: June 21, 2011, 11:13:58 PM »

Obviously we don't have time to vote on this, so the debate will have to carry over into the next session once a speaker Speaker homelycooking is elected.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3934 on: June 22, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »

Obviously we don't have time to vote on this, so the debate will have to carry over into the next session once a speaker Speaker homelycooking is elected.

^^^ This.

As Governor of the Region, I wish to strongly urge the Assembly to elect Homelycooking as Speaker of the Assembly. He is a hard and diligent worker and wants only the best for the Region. Now get to work you guys, we have a Region to fix Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3935 on: June 22, 2011, 06:30:28 PM »

^^^ This.

As Governor of the Region, I wish to strongly urge the Assembly to elect Homelycooking as Speaker of the Assembly. He is a hard and diligent worker and wants only the best for the Region. Now get to work you guys, we have a Region to fix Smiley

As a simple citizen I urge the same. Tongue
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3936 on: June 22, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »

Should the Assembly so decide, I would be honored to serve as speaker.

However, we're still waiting for Assemblymen to swear in. We currently have only three who have done so - myself, Cincinnatus and wormyguy.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #3937 on: June 22, 2011, 06:54:36 PM »

Is Winfield aware of his duties as Lieutenant Governor?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3938 on: June 22, 2011, 06:56:50 PM »

Yes.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3939 on: June 22, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »

The New Northeast Constitution was ratified on 13 February 2006

ARTICLE IV - EXECUTIVE BRANCH

i) The executive authority of the Northeast Region shall be vested first and foremost in the Governor of the Northeast Region, and secondly by the Lieutenant Governor.

viii) If the office of Governor is to become vacant at some point while he or she is in office, than the Lieutenant Governor is to be immediately sworn in as Governor of the Northeast Region. If the office of Lieutenant Governor is to become vacant at some point while he or she is in office, than the Governor may appoint a new one after the recommendation of the Legislative Assembly of the Northeast Region.

xiii) The Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast Region shall be charged with the responsibilities of the Legislative Assembly of the region. He or she shall ensure that the Legislative Assembly has the ability to propose legislation that they are able to be debated on, and voted on during appropriate periods. In the temporary absence of the Lieutenant Governor, than the Governor may take up these responsibilities.

xiv) In the temporary absence of the Governor, then the Lieutenant Governor may be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor.

xv) The chain of command for the Governorship of the Northeast Region shall be as follows: Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Chief Judicial Officer, Longest continuously serving citizen of the Northeast Region, followed by the next longest and the next and so on. The chain of command shall be used to fill sudden vacancies in the office of Governor.

ARTICLE V - LEGISLATIVE BRANCH

xiv) The Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast acts as the President of the Northeast Legislative Assembly. He officially opens and closes the sessions, organizes votes on legislation and notifies the Reps of the results of any official vote. He does not take part in any vote in the Legislative Assembly unless a vote results in a perfect tie. In this case, he or she shall be allowed to vote to break said tie.

This is the only NE constitution I can find.  So if any of this has changed, please advise.

As this stands, the Lieutenant Governor presides over the Assembly with duties and responsibilities as noted.  So this is what I shall be doing, unless this constitution has been superceded.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3940 on: June 22, 2011, 08:27:24 PM »

I look forward to you serving.  Hopefully the legislative positions will see much more activity this time around.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3941 on: June 22, 2011, 09:22:39 PM »

Should the Assembly so decide, I would be honored to serve as speaker.

However, we're still waiting for Assemblymen to swear in. We currently have only three who have done so - myself, Cincinnatus and wormyguy.

In the Northeast Assembly, please clarify the duties and the authority of the Speaker of the Assembly. 

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3942 on: June 22, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3943 on: June 22, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »

Thank you.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3944 on: June 22, 2011, 09:44:18 PM »

It'll be exciting to watch you progress in the game. Smiley
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3945 on: June 22, 2011, 09:49:36 PM »

Thank you, but I doubt it will be all that exciting.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #3946 on: June 22, 2011, 10:33:05 PM »

It's good to be back.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3947 on: June 22, 2011, 10:51:15 PM »

I have invited by PM Sic Semper Tyrannis/Fallen Morgan and Elyski 729 to swear in as members of the NE Assembly, and I see Morgan has done so.

Thank you Morgan. 

I have also informed them, and I wish to inform all, that I will be opening the Northeast Assembly tomorrow, Thursday, for the purpose of nominating and electing a Speaker for the Assembly.

So all members of the Assembly please check into the Assembly tomorrow evening and we will take care of this order of business and begin the new session of the Northeast Assembly.

I am hopeful and optimistic that this session will be activist and productive.

I also plan on meeting with Governor Jake Matthews to discuss the session and to work out an agenda from the perspective of the Executive Branch.

Thank you.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #3948 on: June 23, 2011, 09:54:36 AM »

The Constitution sez:

While the NE Assembly Speaker act reads:

I wonder if the word "may" in the Constitution means "has the option to"? If the Governor does not exercise this option, I imagine that the Speaker takes on those responsibilities.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3949 on: June 23, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »
« Edited: June 23, 2011, 08:05:58 PM by Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast Winfield »

As Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast Region, and as President of the Northeast Assembly, I hereby call the new session of the Northeast Assembly to order.

A very warm welcome to all.

I have every confidence that this session of the Northeast Assembly will prove to be a productive one and beneficial to the Northeast Region.

In spite of my somewhat controversial victory in my election as Lieutenant Governor, nevertheless, the fact of the matter is, I have been duly elected to this office, and I intend to carry out the responsibilities of this office to the best of my ability.

I call on all members of this Assembly to act with respect and dignity toward one another, while at the same time being forceful advocates for their particular points of view and beliefs.

The first order of business for this session will be for all members of this assembly who wish to do so to make an opening statement.  

After opening remarks by the members of this Assembly, I will then call for nominations from the floor of the Assembly for the position of Speaker of the Assembly.  The members of the Assembly will then vote on the nominees for Speaker.  I, of course, will vote only in the event of a tie.

Should there be only one nominee for the position of Speaker, I will declare that individual as duly elected to the position of Speaker of the Northeast Assembly.

We will now proceed with these items of business, in the order as I have outlined.

Thank you.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies