Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:33:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 380208 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4000 on: July 01, 2011, 01:47:28 PM »

I understand you don't care for Napoleon and nor does he care for you, but can we refrain from attacking each other in this thread.  I could care less what you guys argue about in separate threads, because it's not really a concern until it spills in here. 

Wormy, if you would actually provide debate your opinion would be valued [at least to me], if you would actually bother to care.  I won't hold my breath but, it would be nice if we could just debate the bill in question Tongue
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4001 on: July 01, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »

Governor, if you could from now on, please put the text of the bills in a quote box just for visual purpose.  Also, the Speaker is meant to be picked by the Assembly but, unless the decision is challenged, congratulations HC.

The Speaker was chosen by the Assembly.  I was simply casting the tie breaking vote.  If we had a Lieutenant Governor, the LG would cast the tie breaking vote.  Since we have no LG, I, as Governor, am acting within the constitution filling in for the LG in this capacity, therefore, I had the constitutional authority to cast the tie breaking vote.

I do not have the authority to simply appoint a new LG.  The Assembly is supposed to recommend a new LG to me.  I would like to see the constitutiion changed in this matter, allowing the Governor to nominate a new LG, to be confirmed by a vote of the Assembly.  This is of course the same way in the U.S., when there is a vacancy in the Vice Presidency, the President nominates a new VP, who is voted on by the Congress.    
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4002 on: July 01, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »

I understand you don't care for Napoleon and nor does he care for you, but can we refrain from attacking each other in this thread. 

Please dont put words in my mouth.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I agree.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4003 on: July 01, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »

Please, we must return to discussion and debate on the bill before the Assembly.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4004 on: July 01, 2011, 02:47:42 PM »

I am awaiting Napoleon's lawsuit challenging Winfield's "vote" in the Speaker election, given that he, as governor, is assuming the duties of the vacant Lt. Governorship.

Not the same situation at all. However CJO cinyc's ruling will hopefully address this as well.

Of course it's the same situation.  Winfield is assuming the duties of the vacant Lt. Governorship as Governor and casting a vote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4005 on: July 01, 2011, 02:52:54 PM »

I am awaiting Napoleon's lawsuit challenging Winfield's "vote" in the Speaker election, given that he, as governor, is assuming the duties of the vacant Lt. Governorship.

Not the same situation at all. However CJO cinyc's ruling will hopefully address this as well.

Of course it's the same situation.  Winfield is assuming the duties of the vacant Lt. Governorship as Governor and casting a vote.

Of course it's the same situation if you have a libertarian victim complex. To those of us capable of critical analysis, Winfield is assuming the duties of an office he was elected to, on a temporary basis, so that he can fill the position. Winfield is not assuming these duties to permanently have a vote in the legislature and usurp power. Winfield is unable to appoint a new Lt. Governor until the Assembly recommendation takes place.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4006 on: July 01, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »

Winfield is not the Lt. Governor.  There never was an assembly recommendation during Han's term either.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4007 on: July 01, 2011, 03:04:06 PM »

Winfield is not the Lt. Governor.  There never was an assembly recommendation during Han's term either.

I did not say he was. If the Assembly didn't recommend anyone, that is not my fault. Han could have been proactive like Winfield to get the Assembly to act on the Lieutenant Governor issue but apparently this never happened.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4008 on: July 01, 2011, 03:16:23 PM »

Read the constitution.

ARTICLE IV - EXECUTIVE BRANCH

xiii) The Lieutenant Governor of the Northeast Region shall be charged with the responsibilities of the Legislative Assembly of the region. He or she shall ensure that the Legislative Assembly has the ability to propose legislation that they are able to be debated on, and voted on during appropriate periods. In the temporary absence of the Lieutenant Governor, than the Governor may take up these responsibilities.

homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4009 on: July 01, 2011, 10:24:39 PM »

Winfield, Cincinnatus, Napoleon, I appreciate your desire to keep this session moving forward, but I see this in the Northeast Assembly Speaker Act and worry that my assuming the job of Speaker is not legal.

I received 50% of the vote, as did Wormyguy. Neither of us attained a majority, unless Winfield claims that he is a member of the Assembly as well.

I'm sorry, but I only want the proper procedure to be followed, and I don't want to be an illegal Speaker.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4010 on: July 01, 2011, 11:39:59 PM »

Winfield, Cincinnatus, Napoleon, I appreciate your desire to keep this session moving forward, but I see this in the Northeast Assembly Speaker Act and worry that my assuming the job of Speaker is not legal.

I received 50% of the vote, as did Wormyguy. Neither of us attained a majority, unless Winfield claims that he is a member of the Assembly as well.

I'm sorry, but I only want the proper procedure to be followed, and I don't want to be an illegal Speaker.

I would interpret "all members of the Northeast Assembly" to mean all members present at the time of the vote.  All members had ample notice of the vote for Speaker.  As you see, the Northeast Assembly has never had all elected members present, and has Redocmmander even sworn in?

In the event of a tie, the Lieutenant Governor casts the tie breaking vote.  As Governor, in the absence a Lieutenant Governor, I was acting, constitutionally, in the capacity of the Lieutenant Governor, to break the tie.

Anyway, I shall take this matter up with the Northeast Chief Judicial Officer.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4011 on: July 02, 2011, 08:19:02 AM »

Well, Redcommander hasn't sworn in, and thus isn't yet a member of the Assembly. That leaves myself, Cincinnatus, Elyski, Wormy and FallenMorgan. I thought a candidate for speaker would need three of five votes.

That's obviously right, but the Lt. Governor's vote could resolve the tie without bringing it into accordance with the Northeast Assembly Speaker Act. I don't think that law means anything other than what it says, Winfield: a Speaker must recieve support from a majority of the Assembly, active or inactive. Note:

But, nonetheless, we should take this up with cinyc.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4012 on: July 02, 2011, 09:56:27 AM »

Despite ongoing debate, the importance of selecting a Lt. Gov should be brought up in this thread.

Therefore, I think we should recommend dallasfan for Lt. Gov.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4013 on: July 02, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2011, 10:05:03 AM by Northeast Governor Winfield »

(In response to homelycooking reply 4011)

Then get ALL MEMBERS of the Assembly to vote.

I've tried.

I have been asking the Assembly to elect a Speaker since day 1.  

Are we supposed to wait indefinitely?

This is getting annoyng.

If a member of the Assembly chooses not to vote, we can't force him.

I will invalidate the Speaker election in the Assembly, call for a revote for Speaker, and we will then wait and wait and wait and wait for the Speaker election to be concluded, once ALL MEMBERS have voted.

If that makes everyone feel better, fine.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4014 on: July 02, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »

Despite ongoing debate, the importance of selecting a Lt. Gov should be brought up in this thread.

I have asked Dallasfan if he would be interested in becoming Lt. Gov., and he is not at this time.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4015 on: July 02, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »

You're acting as Lt. Gov, I have no power to start a vote.  I would certainly like to work with you to get a Lt. Gov in as soon as possible so we can move forward.  As far as the Speaker elections go, the importance of the position is dwarfed by the Lt Gov, and when the winner of the special election has sworn in, I'm sure the problem can be resolved beyond a doubt.

I have asked Dallasfan if he would be interested in becoming Lt. Gov., and he is not at this time.

Hmmm.. That ruins that than.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4016 on: July 02, 2011, 11:01:52 AM »

What about NiK? Bullmoose? Obamaisdabest? Seriously, now we're grasping at straws.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4017 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:58 AM »

What about NiK? Bullmoose? Obamaisdabest? Seriously, now we're grasping at straws.

Nik is not available.  I don't know about the other two.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4018 on: July 02, 2011, 01:47:44 PM »

I had an idea for Lieutenant Governor.

If any current Assembly members are interested, they could resign their seat in the Assembly, their name could be presented to the Governor for appointment as the new LG, and a special Assembly election could be called to fill the Assembly vacancy.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4019 on: July 02, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »

Due to the extreme controversy surrounding the recent Speaker election for the Northeast Assembly, I hereby invalidate the previous Speaker election results, and call for a new Speaker election.  The elected Speaker refuses to take the office under these circumstances anyway.

I hereby call upon the Assembly to elect a Speaker, to be elected by ALL MEMBERS OF THE ASSEMBLY.

PLEASE ELECT A SPEAKER!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4020 on: July 02, 2011, 01:59:18 PM »

Winfield, you do not have the power to invalidate this vote.

The Speaker can resign if he does not want the office.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4021 on: July 02, 2011, 03:14:41 PM »

OK.  

So, homelycooking, if you will not accept the office of Speaker under the circumstances, and it appears to me that you will not accept, please resign, and I will call for a new election for Speaker.

You, of course, are free to run for Speaker again if you so choose.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #4022 on: July 02, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »

I second Cincinnatus' concerns regarding the bill.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #4023 on: July 02, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »

For the sake of continued progress, I will accept the office of Speaker.

I do so with a great amount of regret and hesitation, as I still do not believe that I have been elected properly, with the support of a majority of the vote of the members of the Assembly.

But the time has come to stop my anal-retentive insistence upon making sure that every law is reconciled with reality in the most perfect way possible. In doing so, I have shown a remarkable amount of immaturity, and I apologize for that mainly to Winfield, who has been in the right most of the time while I nitpicked and hemmed and hawed.

I hope the Assembly can forgive me. I would completely understand if they decided to elect a different Speaker at this time, but I hope they could let me get to work at paying the Northeast back its two weeks of time that I so needlessly wasted.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4024 on: July 02, 2011, 10:28:02 PM »

Shall the debate continue on the bill?
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 158 159 160 [161] 162 163 164 165 166 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies