Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:27:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378188 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5025 on: November 22, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »

I will not be supporting this bill, and I don't think any amendment can persuade me to do so, unfortunately.   

Might I ask why?

You may.  How are we paying for this?  What store plans to contribute a desired prize in order to actual make this "buzzer" effective?  Obviously we will have to pay a bunch of money to install these recycling bins, and maintain the "lottery" system.  We should be focusing on recycling efforts inside school's, where children may obtain a life-long appreciation for eco-friendly habits.  Not setting up lottery recycling systems that seem dangerously susceptible to fraud, and require state funding (that hasn't been specified how we shall pay for it).  Fun bill, interesting title, but other than that, I view it as an ineffective proposal that won't provide a suitable solution.   

Well how do we get kids involved in recycling at school? That would also require state funding.

You are correct.  However, it would be an alternative to this state funded proposal.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5026 on: November 22, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »

Any interest in working with me to create a better bill?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5027 on: November 22, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »

I don't support the lottery system, but I'd certainly work with you on a different proposal.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5028 on: November 22, 2011, 08:18:15 PM »

I don't support the lottery system, but I'd certainly work with you on a different proposal.

Well alright Cheesy
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #5029 on: November 22, 2011, 09:55:25 PM »

I think it would be simpler to just have recycling containers placed alongside regular trash cans.  The reason most people don't recycle is because you have to carry your trash ten feet to get to a public recycling bin.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5030 on: November 22, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »

I think it would be simpler to just have recycling containers placed alongside regular trash cans.  The reason most people don't recycle is because you have to carry your trash ten feet to get to a public recycling bin.

This is a better idea.  Having to develop, produce, and maintain these special trash cans wouldn't be very cost effective.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5031 on: November 22, 2011, 11:17:19 PM »

This is a better idea.  Having to develop, produce, and maintain these special trash cans wouldn't be very cost effective.

Fair enough.

Motion to table the bill currently being debated?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5032 on: November 22, 2011, 11:24:48 PM »

Fair enough.

Motion to table the bill currently being debated?

You can withdraw a bill at any time before a vote, as you are the sponsor.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5033 on: November 22, 2011, 11:46:51 PM »

The gentleman withdraws his bill from consideration.  The Assembly will now consider the legislation introduced by the gentleman from New York.  Debate will last for 48 hours.

Stone Wall Preservation Act

The Northeast Assembly acknowledges that stone walls constructed as agricultural and administrative boundaries are tangible legacies of the generations that lived and died before the present day, and in so doing, declares the following:

1. That to knowingly deface, damage or dismantle a stone wall on public property is prohibited, and punishable by a $500 fine on the first offense;
2. That subsequent offenses shall entail four hours of community service for each subsequent offense and an increase in the fine by an additional $250 for each subsequent offense;
3. That any land sold by the Northeast or by any municipal or local government therein to a private landowner may only be sold on the condition that all stone walls located upon the property may not be defaced, damaged or dismantled in the process of the development of the land; and
4. That the Northeast Government shall offer grants totaling $250,000 to historians and scholars who aim to develop registries, maps and archives of ancient stone walls within the Northeast Region.

x homelycooking

X  Cincinnatus
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5034 on: November 22, 2011, 11:48:48 PM »

I encourage representatives to support this.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5035 on: November 22, 2011, 11:54:56 PM »

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5036 on: November 23, 2011, 12:11:01 AM »

I have no objection to this bill, and I don't see any reason not to support it.  The Northeast should protect these ancient stone walls.  I assume the stone walls this bill is referring to are the ones made to memorialize people, is that correct?
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #5037 on: November 23, 2011, 12:58:36 PM »

I have no objection to this bill, and I don't see any reason not to support it.  The Northeast should protect these ancient stone walls.  I assume the stone walls this bill is referring to are the ones made to memorialize people, is that correct?

I'm not sure what you are referring to. My bill is intended to protect walls constructed centuries ago that, at one point, demarcated boundary lines or pastures.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5038 on: November 23, 2011, 01:10:06 PM »

I'm not sure what you are referring to. My bill is intended to protect walls constructed centuries ago that, at one point, demarcated boundary lines or pastures.

Ah, I see.  Thank you for clarifying.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5039 on: November 23, 2011, 03:50:11 PM »

Once you've seen one stone wall you've seen every stone wall.  I suppose it doesn't really matter because the Northeast government doesn't have any "public" land anymore anyway.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5040 on: November 23, 2011, 04:28:32 PM »

Once you've seen one stone wall you've seen every stone wall.  I suppose it doesn't really matter because the Northeast government doesn't have any "public" land anymore anyway.

Wrong. Smiley
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5041 on: November 23, 2011, 04:54:30 PM »

Don't we still have state parks?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5042 on: November 23, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »

I found one bill on the wiki that refers to state parks, but nothing that specifies where the parks are.  So no, technically.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #5043 on: November 23, 2011, 07:30:14 PM »

A stone wall is more than just some historical oddity or trinket: its function is embedded within the landscape. Stone walls lose their meaning without a spatial context. The state has the responsibility to act to preserve this element of the Northeast's cultural heritage because each wall, since it is located at a unique place, has historical value.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5044 on: November 23, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »

Not sure if serious...
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5045 on: November 24, 2011, 03:27:12 PM »

Seriously, this makes less sense than the people saying nobody should be allowed to cut down trees.  There is nothing special or architecturally unique about a stone wall.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5046 on: November 24, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »

Seriously, this makes less sense than the people saying nobody should be allowed to cut down trees.  There is nothing special or architecturally unique about a stone wall.
It makes perfect sense to have areas where no one is allowed to cut down trees. Thankfully we have a great regional park system.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5047 on: November 24, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »

I'm very neutral on this bill. Not quite sure how I'm gonna vote yet.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5048 on: November 24, 2011, 04:12:30 PM »

Like Napoleon said, it does make sense to protect trees.  No, not banning the practice of it entirely, but preserving nature in select areas.  This bill preserves remnants of history.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5049 on: November 24, 2011, 11:53:42 PM »

Debate time has expired.  Members will now cast their votes on passage of the legislation.  This will be a 24-hour vote.

Stone Wall Preservation Act

The Northeast Assembly acknowledges that stone walls constructed as agricultural and administrative boundaries are tangible legacies of the generations that lived and died before the present day, and in so doing, declares the following:

1. That to knowingly deface, damage or dismantle a stone wall on public property is prohibited, and punishable by a $500 fine on the first offense;
2. That subsequent offenses shall entail four hours of community service for each subsequent offense and an increase in the fine by an additional $250 for each subsequent offense;
3. That any land sold by the Northeast or by any municipal or local government therein to a private landowner may only be sold on the condition that all stone walls located upon the property may not be defaced, damaged or dismantled in the process of the development of the land; and
4. That the Northeast Government shall offer grants totaling $250,000 to historians and scholars who aim to develop registries, maps and archives of ancient stone walls within the Northeast Region.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 [202] 203 204 205 206 207 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies