Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:01:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 383239 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: January 22, 2010, 01:46:17 PM »

Doesn't that violate some rule in Fantasy Land?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 12:29:31 PM »

As an observer, I'll tell you the subject is emotional to many, and I support his show of it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 01:35:43 PM »

I'm all in favor repealing the Act.  Why must we burden every citizen of the Northeast with a gasoline tax, if the tolls paid only by the users now are doing the job of maintaining those roads in good condition.

Perhaps restructuring the toll system might be in order, and if so a study would need to be conducted to see what tolls need increased/decreased/stay the same.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 02:56:26 PM »

I understand your points, but am a little reticent to overrule the legislative Assembly of the Northeast when it was the people

If you look at the link to the actual vote,  I think it was just a handful of citizens who voted on it........actually far less than the elected number in the assembly now.

Let me think about those amendments for a short bit.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 03:41:11 PM »

I checked again and the vote count on the Act was:  "Free Highway Access Act Of 2009: 3 AYES, 1 NAY"

There was very little support for it to begin with and the committee's hard work should be rightly noted, but I do propose the following:

Amendment to replace the Northeast Free Highway Access Act of 2009 Implementation Bill with the following:

"1.  The Free Highway Access Act of 2009 is repealed.   

2. The Northeast Region shall form a commission to study and revise the toll structure".

xGrumpy Gramps

And a thanks to Cinyc for suggesting the wording.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 12:24:53 PM »

A gas tax also hurts the working poor and middle class more than tolls would.  Granted some need to take the toll roads to get to work, but there is no question all of them need gas to get to their jobs if they don't take public transportation.  Increased gas taxes will even affect those taking public transportation since public transit will pass the increase along to the consumers.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:02:52 AM »

Amendment 1 -  Aye

Amendment 2 -  Nay
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »

Aye
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 08:49:07 AM »

I feel really ashamed by that. First missed vote.

Don't sweat it friend, no one questions your dedication.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 11:07:37 AM »

Back to debate on the bill....honestly, I'm speechless.  I'm not a union fan but this is over the top.

Not requiring members to belong to a union is one thing.......not allowing unions at all is quite another.

Even right to work states don't outlaw unions....

I'll be voting, Nay.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 11:12:34 AM »

Back to debate on the bill....honestly, I'm speechless.  I'm not a union fan but this is over the top.

Not requiring members to belong to a union is one thing.......not allowing unions at all is quite another.

Even right to work states don't outlaw unions....

I'll be voting, Nay.
Why not offer an amendment to the bill to make it less extreme?

Because I'm not sure I want to change the status quo.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 04:43:59 PM »

I'm not opposed to Government employee unions as long as certian vital employees cannot strike.

The government employee unions do one good thing - they help ensure rank and file members don't get dismissed for something other than good cause, which can happen in a political environment.

In fact, government unions bother me less than private sector thugs like the teachers union and teamsters.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 07:53:24 AM »

I'm not opposed to Government employee unions as long as certian vital employees cannot strike.

The government employee unions do one good thing - they help ensure rank and file members don't get dismissed for something other than good cause, which can happen in a political environment.

In fact, government unions bother me less than private sector thugs like the teachers union and teamsters.

Teachers' unions are public employee unions, Gramps.

Not really, but I concede your point on a technicality.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »

Teachers' unions are public employee unions, Gramps.

Not really, but I concede your point on a technicality.

Schools receive their funding from the government; they are not private and they are not operated for profit. I don't know what they would be considered if not public.

I really don't know anyone that regards them as a public union, but no matter, the teacher's unions negotiate locally with the school boards and the state's and certainly regions would not be involved in that.  I don't think a state/region could ban something which it doesn't control.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »

Seems like there's a lot gng on, so I will extend debate until 2:30PM tomorrow (Monday).

Can you clip summarize all pending legislation and when the votes will take place?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 07:56:45 AM »

Nay

(My good colleague cinyc, 1 hour to vote?  c'mon)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 08:58:45 AM »

Aye
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 01:54:25 PM »

Hey Badger, you're a member of NE Assembly?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 02:05:23 PM »

Hey Badger, you're a member of NE Assembly?

Badger and all other citizens of the Northeast - and Atlasia in general - are welcome to provide feedback on this thread.

You, know cinyc, how can I harass my good friend and Pittsburgher of the diaspora, Badger, if you take this kind of attitude.  Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 03:27:55 PM »

Other than to say I'm opposed to the bill,  I have no meaningful thing to add in debate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 03:37:48 PM »

Other than to say I'm opposed to the bill,  I have no meaningful thing to add in debate.

Why

The right exists......what "protection" are you suggesting is needed.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 03:41:45 PM »

Why

The right exists......what "protection" are you suggesting is needed.

This legislation affirms our legal right to protect ourselves, our families, and our belongings. It ensures that the legal system will consider self-defense circumstances when relevant.

I don't think your bill says that at all, and as a general rule, in real life and in the game, I'm opposed to motions that {re}affirm something.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2010, 07:36:52 PM »

Nay
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 12:14:37 PM »

The intent behind this bill as amended is well-meaning, but as written it isn't workable due to being far, far too vague.

Which is why I voted, no.  I agree with the principle, duh.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 10:40:34 AM »

If incomplete or missing information is a problem, then I support my distinguished colleague's bill fully.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies