Smid's Diplomacy Game Thread #3 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:27:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Smid's Diplomacy Game Thread #3 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Smid's Diplomacy Game Thread #3  (Read 57923 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 28, 2009, 04:58:40 PM »

I've never played before, so I have spent some time studying the rules as well as the previous two games. I hope everyone has a fun time in this game.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »

I've never played before, so I have spent some time studying the rules as well as the previous two games. I hope everyone has a fun time in this game.

Hint: give ILV all your base.

I'm in your base, killing your dudes. Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:35:18 AM »

Why are you saying sorry to Jas? Silent Hunter's in trouble.

I apologise to whoever I draw for Italy. I've done it in the past two games, as well.

I know. What I'm saying is that Austria-Hungary is worse (from experience, at least). Tongue

I'm reading through the first Diplomacy thread for additional insight. I just saw how you were quickly aggro'd out of existence by Russia, Italy, & Turkey. Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 04:27:24 AM »

Wow, only one bounce.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 04:49:14 PM »

Italy's moves seem to be particularly bold, especially for a country not known to make big moves early on.

Really? I thought Italy's opening was considered pretty classic by now.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 02:53:35 AM »

Italy's moves seem to be particularly bold, especially for a country not known to make big moves early on.

Really? I thought Italy's opening was considered pretty classic by now.

The army switcheroo thing though seems odd, since if Austria stabbed it would cause the move from Rome to Venice to bounce. relatively minor risk of course

Ah, that's what you were referring to. I was mostly looking at F Nap-Ion, actually. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 03:13:41 AM »

Perhaps the 1st Constantinople Army will need to be avenged. Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »

Turkey looks to be in a bit of a bind, though I won't underestimate PiT Tongue

I'm not set up that great for something like a solo win, but my units are in a pretty good position to hold out. Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 08:30:48 PM »

Diplomacy on a World Map
On another forum I'm at we are playing Diplomacy on a world map, but are having a horrible number of drop outs. I'm wondering if anyone wanted to play as a fill in. Details found:
Click Here

That looks truly intriguing. What countries are suffering from drop outs? I might join that game depending on what countries are available.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:58:08 PM »

Diplomacy on a World Map
On another forum I'm at we are playing Diplomacy on a world map, but are having a horrible number of drop outs. I'm wondering if anyone wanted to play as a fill in. Details found:
Click Here

That looks truly intriguing. What countries are suffering from drop outs? I might join that game depending on what countries are available.
None of the good ones, as those ones are being played.

China, Japan, and Turkey need players

I noticed that the balance of that map is truly horrendous, at least compared to that of the standard map. Short of a world alliance dedicated against that outcome, I'd be very surprised if any country other than England, France, or Holland won. Not to mention the deadlines are really short, though I also think a full week between moves is too long.

I'll give it thought, but I might be up for taking over Japan.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »

It ultimately didn't matter, but support got cut even though the Austrian attackers were outnumbered 3-2? I didn't realize that could happen.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »

A unit busy defending itself can't support an attack elsewhere. Pretty obvious rule, really. Tongue

Ah, that makes sense.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 05:35:02 AM »

Consider it done. Wink

At any rate, I find it interesting how France has stagnated after a very strong opening. Really, the Eastern half of the map has been much more dynamic this last turn.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 12:39:15 AM »

Austria's orders perplex me.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 03:00:37 AM »

why England doesn't move to Norway or one of those seas next to Sev is interesting.  Seems like you'd either hold Sev hostage or just move into Denmark.

England will certainly own Spain by next turn, maybe she just doesn't want to make any unnecessary enemies. 

On the other side of the map I thought the hold on Greece was interesting. With a hold it couldn't contribute to the turn's action. Had it been used to support the move into Bulgaria, it would have freed up the Aegean fleet to get in position for action in the following spring.

I wouldn't have moved the Aegean fleet anyway. That doesn't really suit my playing style. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 08:22:20 PM »

I am declining to build this turn.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 07:52:16 PM »

Turkey seems to be just defending its little plot of land, even though it could take Austria-Hungary pretty quickly.

I find that rapid growth & Turkey go together like water & oil, personally.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »

Turkey seems to be just defending its little plot of land, even though it could take Austria-Hungary pretty quickly.

I find that rapid growth & Turkey go together like water & oil, personally.

Yes, Turkey is very defendable... but the bottleneck through the Bosporus that slows any attack on Turkey also has the same effect of slowing Turkish expansion.

That's why I dread the prospect of playing Turkey in a Crowded or Armed Neutrals game. Unless you can gain control of the Black Sea, getting a build by the end of 1901 would be impossible.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 04:04:51 PM »

So what's happening since the forum had a database error at the regularly scheduled update time?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »

So what's happening since the forum had a database error at the regularly scheduled update time?

The site was down during Smid's usual hours. We may have to wait until he's up on Monday.

It was back up when I logged on yesterday afternoon, but I'd seen a few comments about it being down and I was waiting on two sets of orders, so I decided to extend the deadline since it may have been down when those two players were online. I'll update it tonight after I get home from work. I'm seeing a friend in hospital on my way home, so it will be after most US residents are asleep.

Fair enough. I've actually been giving thought lately as to ways to better balance the Diplomacy board.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »

According to my roommate, "Fair enough" is my catchphrase.  I don't really see it, myself.

"Fair enough" is a pretty good phrase, really. The more people using it, the better.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 10:39:21 PM »

Wow, that's a lot of failed moves in the Balkans there.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 07:04:51 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2009, 07:07:13 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

Wow, France suffered a major setback, to say the least.

Anyway, since I have Realpolitik on my computer, I can post the maps if that's alright. It seems you didn't post England's orders, though.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2009, 07:44:19 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

Okay, I uploaded both maps.

Also, since I did not build last Winter, I should be able to build this time even though I haven't gained any supply centers in the last year. I have 6 centers & 5 units currently.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 12:20:16 AM »

The French position qualifies for Civil Disorder. Under a strict interpretation of the rules, the French disbands are forced on the player. Here's the passage from the rules:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Strict interpretation would require France to follow the civil disorder rules for their retreat phase as well as for the disbands due to loss of centers. Either Gustav or any other replacement could continue normally in the Spring 1906 turn. The harsh nature of this reading is why I encourage players to submit provisional orders early in a turn then replace those with final orders before the deadline.

With that interpretation, France would be required to disband the dislodged F Brest, then disband the F Clyde and F Tyrrhenian Sea during the build phase.

I would guess that Smid has instituted a house rule that is more lenient on NMRing players, since his response to my offer to upload the maps (which I suppose he deleted afterwards) proved that he is aware that an NMRing unit that is dislodged is automatically disbanded.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies