47% will pay no federal income tax (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:58:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  47% will pay no federal income tax (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 47% will pay no federal income tax  (Read 1588 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: October 04, 2009, 05:31:01 PM »

Hah, I would have guessed that Rice was infested with right-wingers, but then I guess most economics departments are.

The disturbing part about the report is that some 30% of under-50,000 people actually owe federal income tax.  Lets hope that's just singles with no dependents making nearly 50K, but still, one would hope they wouldn't owe much.

We need more privilege reduction.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 05:55:50 PM »

I'm a single with no dependents that'll make around $28k, and I agree I'll probably have to owe something. I've already paid in over $2000 in federal in the year so far and I know I'm not getting it all back. I agree with you that's extremely disturbing opebo.

It would certainly be better for the economy to eliminate whatever taxation you do pay, and add it to the privilege reduction of, say, a Torie, a Fuzzyfestoon, or a Sam Spade.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 02:51:59 AM »

How do 6000 people with income over $1 million manage to owe zero tax?

Because some people are so rich that they can afford to give away more than they make in charitable donations.

I suspect that should be typed 'give away', as in most cases such people give to their own 'charitable organizations'.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies