All about yourself! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:28:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  All about yourself! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All about yourself!  (Read 992465 times)
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

« on: April 29, 2006, 06:11:39 AM »

Race/ethnic compostion:Irish, English, Dutch, German, American Indian, French, Scottish--you know.. purebred mutt.
Religion:United Methodist
Height:5 foot nothing.
Where you were born:Alexandria Virginia--Alexandria Hospital.
Occupation:Mom, Assistant Department head(Deli/Bakery), Cake Decorator, Research Genealogist.
Person you most admire:My Mom
Favorite Band:not really into bands, I prefer solo performers.
Favorite President:Reagan--I wrote to him at the White House when I was younger, and got a really nice letter back! Now I know it was a form letter with a signature stamp, but it made me feel good at the time! And hey, at least they took the time to do that!
Favorite Sports team:Virginia Tech Hokies
Your other interests: Living History, Dancing, vampires, werewolves, ghosts, genealogy research. 
Plant City Rebel
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 06:07:54 PM »

Other than a few Louisiana soldiers of French descent, I bet Catholics were a very small minority in the Confederate forces.

What about the thousands of Maryland soldiers? Also, I believe Patrick Cleburne was Catholic as well. Also, the Catholic Church and the Confederate States. Pope Pius IX supported the confederacy and saw the American North as having "threatening tendencies" (probably because of the Norths' harsh repression of Judiasm and Irish Catholicism).

States,

Just curious. The irish that fought for the south...were they irish catholics or Ulster Irish/Scots-Irish/Orangemen (Presbies)

It is said that the American Civil war was just an extension of the conflicts between the British, Scots, Irish and Welsh. The North, was of course, dominated by people of British stock descent, while the south was a whole hodgepodge of groups, mainly Scots-irish/Scots/irish/welsh. I believe their was actually a mix of Irish Catholics with the other groups you've mentioned. For example my wifes ancestors were all Protestants of Irish descent.

Was your wife Protestant?  It would be interesting if she converted, since I always thought that usually it's the husband who converts to the wife's religion.  This happened with both President Bush and his brother, as well as my parents.

I take it the Catholicism came from the Austrian branch of your family.

I didn't know I had to Convert  Tongue

Actually I am still United Methodist--albeit I haven't been to church lately.To answer the main question, the Irish who fought for the Confederacy were  almost exclusively of protestants of Northern Irish Descent, their  ancestors of course being largely Scots-Irish Presbyterians and Anglo-Irish Episcopalians .  Most of these soldiers had  descended from Soldiers who fought with Washington in the Revolutionary War--as had my family.  Now, in some states, Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina, there were enclaves of Catholic Confederates, but they were far outnumbered by those of Protestant descent.  Of course, that was a direct opposite of the Union forces where the Irish soldiers were primarily Catholic. 

As far as famous Celtic Confederates:  Patrick Cleburne, PGT Beauregard, Robert E. Lee, Thomas Jonathon Jackson(of Ulster Descent), JEB Stuart, and Jubal Early to name a few.   
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies