All about yourself! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:18:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  All about yourself! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: All about yourself!  (Read 992887 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« on: April 21, 2006, 09:46:53 PM »

Well, since I'm running for the Atlasian Senate, I feel more people should know a little more about me.

Race/ethnic compostion: Caucasian -father's side is Czech, mother's side is German and Scottish
Religion: Presbyterian
Height: 6'0
Weight: 195
Location: New York, N.Y. (during the school year) and Vienna, Va.
Where you were born: Red Bank, N.J.

Favorite President: Harry S Truman or Woodrow Wilson
Favorite Sports team: the Washington Redskins and the New York Yankees
Your other interests: Model Railroading, American aviation and railroads, American and British history, American political theory, ultimate frisbee, baseball, and football. 

Favorite song: Tough one, but I enjoy "Invitation" by Stan Getz (I enjoy jazz)
Favorite people on Atlas: Preston, SamSpade, Dave, Frodo, Q, dazzleman, and Walter Mitty all seem like fine people (though Walter and I would have a shouting match on economic policy).
Favorite tv show: SportsCenter
Favorite color: Green
Do you live by yourself: No
Do you have any siblings? 2 sisters
Are you married? No
What year did you join Atlas? July 2005

Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 10:49:12 AM »

Race/ethnic compostion: White/Czech-German-Scottish

Religion: Presbyterian

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 195 lbs.

Where you were born: Red Bank, N.J.

Person you most admire: My late grandfather, a World War II Navy veteran.

Favorite Band/Artist: I really like jazz (anything from Big Band to the 1960s, but especially Miles Davis, John Coltrane, and Stan Getz), but I also like any rock through the '80s (Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Bruce Springsteen) as well as country.

Favorite Presidents: Harry S Truman, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Theodore Roosevelt

Favorite Sports team: the Washington Redskins, New York Yankees, and Washington Nationals. 

Your other interests: American and European history, American military history, baseball, football, cycling, canoeing and kayaking, model railroading, and railfanning

Favorite ice-cream: Rocky Road, but I really prefer Watermelon or Lemon Italian Ice or sorbet.

Favorite tv show: Family Guy

Favorite color: Blue

Do you have any siblings? Yes, two younger sisters.

Are you married? No, probably won't happen for another ten years.

What year did you join Atlas? July 2005, though I had lurked around here since October 2004.  Whenever, I tried to join, my AOL server would reject the confirmation e-mail.  So it wasn't until I got a college e-mail address that I joined the Atlas.

PoliticsMatch quiz score:

Personal Score  32%   
Economic Score  35%   

Based on the above score, I am a Moderate Populist.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:59:07 AM »
« Edited: July 25, 2006, 10:01:46 AM by Senator Virginian87 »

Race/ethnic compostion: Austrian, Irish, Arab, Native American, English

Religion: Catholic

Height: 5'9"

Weight: 240

Where you were born: Baltimore City, MD

Person you most admire: Thomas Johnathan Jackson

Favorite Band/Artist: 97th Regimental String Band

Favorite Presidents: Jefferson and Jackson

Favorite Sports team: Virginia Tech Hokies

Your other interests: Football, Baseball, Civil War History, Historic Architecture, Ghost Hunting

Favorite ice-cream: Mint Chocolate Chip

Favorite tv show: Myth Busters I suppose

Favorite color: Sky Blue

Do you have any siblings? No

Are you married? Yes Smiley

What year did you join Atlas? March 1st 2004

PoliticsMatch quiz score:

Personal Score   12%      
Economic Score    82%

Based on the above score, I am a Hard-Core Conservative.

Wow, a hard-core redneck-style Southerner who happens to be Roman Catholic.  That's a rarity.  For some reason, I always thought you were Southern Baptist or a member of some other Protestant.  I guess based on my travels and contacts with the Deep South, I always thought of it as a solidly Protestant area.  Other than a few Louisiana soldiers of French descent, I bet Catholics were a very small minority in the Confederate forces.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 03:49:22 PM »

Other than a few Louisiana soldiers of French descent, I bet Catholics were a very small minority in the Confederate forces.

What about the thousands of Maryland soldiers? Also, I believe Patrick Cleburne was Catholic as well. Also, the Catholic Church and the Confederate States. Pope Pius IX supported the confederacy and saw the American North as having "threatening tendencies" (probably because of the Norths' harsh repression of Judiasm and Irish Catholicism).

States,

Just curious. The irish that fought for the south...were they irish catholics or Ulster Irish/Scots-Irish/Orangemen (Presbies)

It is said that the American Civil war was just an extension of the conflicts between the British, Scots, Irish and Welsh. The North, was of course, dominated by people of British stock descent, while the south was a whole hodgepodge of groups, mainly Scots-irish/Scots/irish/welsh. I believe their was actually a mix of Irish Catholics with the other groups you've mentioned. For example my wifes ancestors were all Protestants of Irish descent.

Was your wife Protestant?  It would be interesting if she converted, since I always thought that usually it's the husband who converts to the wife's religion.  This happened with both President Bush and his brother, as well as my parents.

I take it the Catholicism came from the Austrian branch of your family.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 12:53:55 PM »

I take it the Catholicism came from the Austrian branch of your family.

You got it. Smiley The arabic side of my family were all Coptic Christian and the Irish side were non-religious as far as the research we've done shows.

Neat.  I'd really like to get into geneaology someday.  I know a rough history of my family, but lately I've been asking my grandmother a lot of questions about my mother's side.  She's in her 80s and, well, you've got to grab these opportunities while you still can.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies