Why aren't pro-gay activists more consistently pro-Israel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:58:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Why aren't pro-gay activists more consistently pro-Israel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why aren't pro-gay activists more consistently pro-Israel?  (Read 1028 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »
« edited: October 05, 2009, 05:04:08 PM by phknrocket1k »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_by_country_or_territory#Middle_East
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »

I am.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 05:46:33 PM »

because they don't read the Old Testament, and therefore have yet to realize how easily the Jewish nation was corrupted with homosexuality time and time again.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »

because they don't read the Old Testament, and therefore have yet to realize how easily the Jewish nation was corrupted with homosexuality time and time again.

Corrupted?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:33:40 AM »

I organised a national queer student conference back in July, and there were many people who tried to hijack discussions and focus on Israel/Palestine. Fortunately, the majority disapproved of these actions and they were largely ignored.

Israel has a much better record on queer rights than its neighbours. There is some not unreasonable sentiment, though, that the Palestinians are oppresed and that we should show solidarity with them, as we do with refugees or the disabled.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:42:57 AM »

A lot of people in left leaning groups hate Jews.  (note I didn't say a lot of left leaning groups hate Jews, certainly a lot of people in right leaning groups hate Jews too....hating Jews brings a lot of people together...like Stalin and Hitler!)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 12:52:44 AM »

A lot of people in left leaning groups hate Jews.  (note I didn't say a lot of left leaning groups hate Jews, certainly a lot of people in right leaning groups hate Jews too....hating Jews brings a lot of people together...like Stalin and Hitler!)

Oh yes, me and the left hate Jews so much, that must be why you constantly see me and other left-wingers mocking and showing hatred for Barbara Boxer, Russ Feingold and Bernie Sanders. And why I and the left are gigantic fans of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and neo-Nazis. Clearly just a bunch of Jew-haters.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:05:27 AM »

WOW!  I put some heavy qualifiers in there and you still feel guilty about it.  Maybe you doth protest too much?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 01:21:26 AM »

The basic statement "a lot of people in left-leaning groups hate Jews" even with all the qualifier is still bullsh!t. I mean go on DailyKos or DU and find me even one comment along the lines of "I hate that filthy Jew Russ Feingold."
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 01:38:14 AM »

Aye, I'll concede that "a lot" might not be the best phrase.  Clearly nowhere near a majority on the left hate Jews or are even anti-Zionists.  But there is certainly an ugly underbelly, I hope you won't deny that.  Google linksThis one I found especially interesting and figured you might like it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 01:46:26 AM »

Even what that's referring to is quite different from actual anti-Semitism of the neo-Nazi kind. More like people who can be stupid when criticizing Israel and go overboard. I agree it's rather tasteless to say, waive a flag with a swastika imprinted over the Israeli flag (or something of the sort). But that doesn't mean the person doing it hates all Jews, just that they're an insensitive idiot. Much like the Birther clowns, they don't necessarily hate all blacks, even though a lot of what they say could easily be construed as racist.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 01:48:10 AM »

Aye, I'll concede that "a lot" might not be the best phrase.  Clearly nowhere near a majority on the left hate Jews or are even anti-Zionists.  But there is certainly an ugly underbelly, I hope you won't deny that.  Google linksThis one I found especially interesting and figured you might like it.

Don't be facile. Anti-Semitism is pretty clearly one of the favorite past-times of the radical Right, particularly right-libertarians. The recent uptick in leftist anti-Semitism is a mere reaction against the philosemitism of your Fundie friends.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 01:50:10 AM »

Even what that's referring to is quite different from actual anti-Semitism of the neo-Nazi kind. More like people who can be stupid when criticizing Israel and go overboard. I agree it's rather tasteless to say, waive a flag with a swastika imprinted over the Israeli flag (or something of the sort). But that doesn't mean the person doing it hates all Jews, just that they're an insensitive idiot. Much like the Birther clowns, they don't necessarily hate all blacks, even though a lot of what they say could easily be construed as racist.
Yeah, racists today don't tend to be as outwardly violent as in the "good ole days", but it's still racism.  The hate is still there, it's just been pussified like a lot of our culture.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 01:53:56 AM »

Guys, we all know that liberal gays like Barney Frank, Harvey Milk and so on hate the Jews.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 02:00:34 AM »

I apologize for turning this thread on it's ear.

Why aren't pro-gay activists more consistently pro-Israel?  The question isn't "why are all leftists Jew haters?" or "why are all gays pro Hamas?".  Israel is clearly way WAY ahead of their peers when it comes to gay rights, shouldn't they be held up as a shining example for gays in the middle east to shoot for?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 02:24:21 AM »

I apologize for turning this thread on it's ear.

Why aren't pro-gay activists more consistently pro-Israel?  The question isn't "why are all leftists Jew haters?" or "why are all gays pro Hamas?".  Israel is clearly way WAY ahead of their peers when it comes to gay rights, shouldn't they be held up as a shining example for gays in the middle east to shoot for?

Because the Religious Right uses Israel and philosemitism to manipulate domestic policy. If Israel distanced itself from our domestic fascists, I might be more inclined to give them the time of day.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 08:21:38 AM »

Corrupted?

yes, "corrupted", but I could have used "defile, sin, vomit, desestable" instead, as in...

Lev 18:24-28 'Do not defile yourselves in any of these ways, because this is how the nations that I am going to drive out before you became defiled. 25 Even the land was defiled; so I punished it for its sin, and the land vomited out its inhabitants.  26 But you must keep my decrees and my laws. The native-born and the aliens living among you must not do any of these detestable things, 27 for all these things were done by the people who lived in the land before you, and the land became defiled. 28 And if you defile the land, it will vomit you out as it vomited out the nations that were before you. '

...people habe to be involved in some rank stuff to make even the ground want to vomit them out
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies