Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:02:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act  (Read 17941 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: October 07, 2009, 07:01:16 AM »

Also note that not all regions have legislatures Smiley

Some regions define their legislatures as universal all-citizens bodies, and the Northeast Assembly was just that until it was changed.

This seems awfully generous to the Mideast and skimpy on the relief to the Northeast. The idea of staggering the amount in according to need seems appropriate, but I feel uncomfortable actually doing that.

I am of the opinion that it is only fairer to help regions with the biggest deficits and/or unemployment the most.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I will oppose any legislation in which the federal government attempts to decide in regions' stead where their cash goes.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:12:43 AM »

I will oppose any legislation in which the federal government attempts to decide in regions' stead where their cash goes.

That's practically what we do with every other piece of legislation though, so what makes the difference? And since when did you become a defender of regional rights?

Besides, what do you think Clause 3 is there for?
[/quote]

The stimulus legislation clearly states that it is regional and fiscal relief funds, and I am of the opinion that its use should be determined by regional and local authorities. I'm not an ardent regionalist, but since reform of regions is impossible, we must live by the current constitution. And it also gives some regions something useful to do instead of having fun on little pet legislation.

Section 3 is there if a region does reject the funds, the government can reuse the rejected funds into other useful projects. There's nothing contradictory between 2 and 3.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »

Because I don't seek pork?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 05:09:03 PM »

The numbers I put up are just to get the ball rolling, since waiting for a Presidential decree on the fact didn't bring about anything, and neither did waiting around. And we need to distribute the money. My original thing was in no way intended to be a final, polished product but certainly open to amendments, reform and the like.

On the allocation of funds, you have two, maybe three ways

1. You give it out equally, $20 billion to all to ensure fairness between all regions and no 'favourite' region for money, but running the risk of giving too much money to some regions and having them act like Alberta did, while having regions in dire need of help with not enough funds.
2. You allocate it based on each region's unemployment and deficit, in that regions like the Mideast which have a dire economic outlook get more money while regions which are economically active, up and running like the Northeast or Pacific don't get as much. Downside is that you run of the risk of being accused of favouring a region over another, and of not giving enough moneymoney to your turf. Or also the fact that a region given less funds could unexpectedly go down the sh**thole in terms of the recession and be faced with not enough stimulus funds from the feds.

Or, three, we keep the $100 billion in a secret bank and give it out to regions when they directly ask for a specific amount.

I don't favour any option over the other, both have their positives and negatives, and the third option I put out is also interesting.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:33:35 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2009, 08:44:25 PM by PASOK Leader Hashemite »

Because the Northeast isn't exactly well off and we deserve a Senator who will fight for us, not fail regions that can't modernize their economies.

I'm sorry, but we're the best regions in terms of economic numbers. Lowest unemployment and a balanced budget.

Again, since people don't seem to bother reading what I said a million times, I just introduced this to get the ball rolling, and as said above:

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 06:58:47 AM »

Because the Northeast isn't exactly well off and we deserve a Senator who will fight for us, not fail regions that can't modernize their economies.

I'm sorry, but we're the best regions in terms of economic numbers. Lowest unemployment and a balanced budget.

Hey now, the Pacific is close behind. Tongue

Which is precisely my point-- why do you guys get twice as much money from a bill written by the NE Senator, even though your unemployment is pretty much EQUAL?

They, unlike us, have a deficit. 

But for the millionth time, I have nothing against an equal distribution of money between regions. What I do have something against is doing nothing on this issue, and I hope most agree. This isn't a bill to play little 'parish interests' and partisan shenanigans with.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:47:27 PM »

After consideration, maybe giving an equal amount to each would be best to avoid the seemingly inevitable little parish interests and regional battles.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 07:29:44 PM »

After consideration, maybe giving an equal amount to each would be best to avoid the seemingly inevitable little parish interests and regional battles.

And after you'd convinced me to support staggering the relief money? Tongue

Well, I hope there's a way out of the constant 'me regions want more money plz' shenanigans, since right now I don't see it.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »

Fine, since all seem intent on playing little regional power shenanigans and parish interests, I'll bite.

I amend my own bill:

I know it isn't fair to all, but if we continue in this way of MORE MONEY TO ME REGION PLZ for a million years, this will never get passed. So, this is the tough medicine to take to get this passed unless people can get a worldview larger than their own little turf of land and recognize the realities of the nation as a whole. Damn it.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »

My point is that some people are unable to think beyond their narrow regional mindset, and they're unable to accept that some regions other than their little turf also exists and that some of these other regions may be more economically disadvantaged than their turf. They don't seem able to accept that their preferred little turf can't gobble up all the cash for themselves. They also don't understand that this isn't pork, it's stimulus money which should be used for useful things and not building a county road in Wabush or building a palace for their Governor/royalty.

I introduced this legislation not in the interests of fantasy pork or any of that sh**t, I introduced it because it was needed and because nobody was ready to act on it, and the fact of the matter is that we needed to determine this stuff before regions can act on their budgets and the GM can act on the usefulness of the stimulus. I don't have a My Parish First attitude to this stuff, and I wanted to make sure this legislation could benefit those regions in need. I may represent the Northeast, but as Senator, I feel a responsibility to the nation as a whole and regional Senators should too, even if they're elected by a region.

No, giving $11 billion to my region isn't done because I secretly hate it and want it to suffer in hell. I wish I could give more, but in all fairness, I can't do that because I realize that it wouldn't be fair to struggling regions that a region which has maintained a better economic outlook than the country as a whole and has the best budget balance in the country should get more money than a region which has unemployment slightly below that of South Africa and is struggling with a large deficit. I don't think that a state, like, say, Germany would get as much 'stimulus' in a 'world bailout' as a country like Peru or South Africa. And, yes, Purple State is absolutely right that the failure to realize this reality and the failure to act on it would entail a much more large-scale national economic nightmare. Damn it people, please think beyond your region and parish, and think about others, other regions, other people/voters and so forth. Quit thinking about your own region's interests for a while, and think in a more open view.

This My Parish First attitude, which is true not only to Atlasia obviously, is stupid and regressive. It's a narrow-minded view and it won't lead to progress for the nation as a whole, which is what we absolutely need in times of economic recession.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 10:11:57 AM »

Since our Senator can't seem to support the Northeast, I urge someone else to help us out. This is appalling. We are having our own problems, and we have proven that we are responsible enough to put the funds to good use.

We are in the best shape economically in the country, we should be getting the least amount of funds. Stop trying to turn everything into partisan attacks.

We're in complete agreement here, the Northeast doesn't really need much money.

Yes, we do need more money. We have economic problems of our own and also are the heart of the financial industry.

Damn it. Read the GM numbers, read my post on page 4. I've been over my reasons a million times.

Pray tell, how much do you propose?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 04:39:18 PM »

Aye

I'm open to reviewing some of the numbers for money to regions based on new numbers and suggestions from the GM based on actual factual information and the like.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »

For reference, here are the GM's numbers on each region's deficit and unemployment:

Deficits:
Mideast: $80 billion ($600 billion vs. $680 billion)
Pacific: $50 billion (Revenue: $850 billion vs. Expenses: $900 billion)
Southeast: $20 billion ($480 billion vs. $500 billion)
Midwest: $10 billion ($350 billion vs. $360 billion)
Northeast: $0 ($780 billion vs. $780 billion)

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 03:38:32 PM »

I'd say the Mideast needs more than $32 billion.  We have the largest deficit and largest unemployment numbers; it is critical that we get a significant increase.

There's a limit. You know, you're getting far more than anybody but there are also four other regions. Let's stop thinking with this narrow region-first view.

And you can't randomly pull even more money out, even if it's fantasymoney.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 07:49:07 AM »

Aye Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia