Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:54:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Regional & Local Fiscal Relief Act  (Read 17943 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: October 06, 2009, 09:27:03 PM »

This seems awfully generous to the Mideast and skimpy on the relief to the Northeast. The idea of staggering the amount in according to need seems appropriate, but I feel uncomfortable actually doing that.

If that makes sense.

Also I in no way support letting the regional legislatures get their hand on this money. We should determine where it goes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:04:48 AM »

Also note that not all regions have legislatures Smiley

Some regions define their legislatures as universal all-citizens bodies, and the Northeast Assembly was just that until it was changed.

This seems awfully generous to the Mideast and skimpy on the relief to the Northeast. The idea of staggering the amount in according to need seems appropriate, but I feel uncomfortable actually doing that.

I am of the opinion that it is only fairer to help regions with the biggest deficits and/or unemployment the most.

Fair enough I suppose. I just want to be careful about how we give money like that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I will oppose any legislation in which the federal government attempts to decide in regions' stead where their cash goes.
[/quote]

That's practically what we do with every other piece of legislation though, so what makes the difference? And since when did you become a defender of regional rights?

Besides, what do you think Clause 3 is there for?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 07:15:11 AM »

I'm fine with staggering the relief money in accordance to need, but since the money was, as far as I remember, initially appropriated for the general use of paying down their deficits and preventing state employee layoffs, it would seem counterproductive to just let them have the money for whatever they want to use it for.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »

As a Pacifican, I'm reasonably happy with the money that we would be apportioned under this Act, and I think any reasonable and objective individual should be able to see the Northeast needs the money the least.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:43:54 PM »

Because the Northeast isn't exactly well off and we deserve a Senator who will fight for us, not fail regions that can't modernize their economies.

I'm sorry, but we're the best regions in terms of economic numbers. Lowest unemployment and a balanced budget.

Hey now, the Pacific is close behind. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:41 AM »

We might be close to them in terms of unemployment but we also have an unfortunate deficit we need to fill a California, and other heavily populated states in our region, need to maintain their public services and prevent layoffs.

The NE is in bad shape too, it's just the best off.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »

After consideration, maybe giving an equal amount to each would be best to avoid the seemingly inevitable little parish interests and regional battles.

And after you'd convinced me to support staggering the relief money? Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 07:27:21 AM »

I really wish you hadn't done that and I urge you to withdraw the amendment before I'm forced to open a vote on this, because I object to it.

You're absolutely right that we should give money in accordance to economic conditions, that's the whole point! The population and the conditions of the Midwest do not match the severity of the economic conditions in the Mideast. The conditions of the Southeast and the Northeast are similarly incomparable.

If more people need relief then they should get more money, it's that simple. This shouldn't be viewed in some sort of "oh you're trying to get pork!" thing from yourself or anyone else. It's sensible and I admit to my error when drafting the stimulus that I didn't apportion the money in accordance to need.

I will open a vote on this soon, and do all within my power to stop it, but I strongly urge you to withdraw it before I can wait no longer.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »

Very well then Senators:

The following amendment is now open for a vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Nay
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 05:57:09 PM »

Good job everyone.

This amendment has enough votes to fail. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 07:14:02 PM »

Okay, again I must ask, what is the purpose of giving so much more money to the Pacific, though they have relatively equivalent unemployment?

We rely very heavily on government agencies, and we've had a much more left-wing healthcare system for awhile now. We have to deal with more deficit and propping up our services than the NE presumably does.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »

With 7 Nays and 0 Ayes, this amendment has failed. Debate continues.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 08:47:41 PM »

Which reminds me, I sent a PM to Marokai two days ago asking a question about the stimulus money and he hasn't responded. Angry

Oh Marokai, I know you must have read this. 

I did read it, but you're off mod review, so can't you mold the plan now? Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 08:52:09 PM »

Which reminds me, I sent a PM to Marokai two days ago asking a question about the stimulus money and he hasn't responded. Angry

Oh Marokai, I know you must have read this. 

I did read it, but you're off mod review, so can't you mold the plan now? Tongue

Marokai what are you talking about?  It was a technical question not a request. I wanted to know if the stimulus money had to go to existing programs or if the DS for instance could create new programs with it.

Let's focus on this issue for the moment, I'll get to your PM asap.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »

I support the measure changing the amount of relief money whole-heartedly, though I still oppose Clause 2.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 09:45:04 PM »

That puppy is actually a Pacifican, don't let the Midwest fool you.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 09:49:33 PM »

I'm quite undecided on the bill, but I believe the following may be prudent...

Amendment
That a section be added as follows:
No funds shall issue to the authorities of the Southeast region unless and until said authorities issue such assurances to the President, as he shall deem necessary and sufficient, such that they undertake not to destroy any monies received under this Act.

I could support such a thing.

Since our Senator can't seem to support the Northeast, I urge someone else to help us out. This is appalling. We are having our own problems, and we have proven that we are responsible enough to put the funds to good use.

We are in the best shape economically in the country, we should be getting the least amount of funds. Stop trying to turn everything into partisan attacks.

We're in complete agreement here, the Northeast doesn't really need much money.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 09:52:49 PM »

Since our Senator can't seem to support the Northeast, I urge someone else to help us out. This is appalling. We are having our own problems, and we have proven that we are responsible enough to put the funds to good use.

We are in the best shape economically in the country, we should be getting the least amount of funds. Stop trying to turn everything into partisan attacks.

Yes, we do need more money. We have economic problems of our own and also are the heart of the financial industry.

But think of the puppy.

The Pacific puppy!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »

Yes, we do need more money. We have economic problems of our own and also are the heart of the financial industry.

But think of the puppy.

The Pacific puppy!

No, because the pacific puppy is still stuck in one of the Pacific's many committees.

The Pacific puppy gets care at our single-payer vets, the Midwest puppy died because a family couldn't pay the bill!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 08:03:07 AM »

Don't worry fellas, I'm not holding a vote on this bill until we get some official figures from the GM. It's only appropriate we fully understand the situation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2009, 08:20:29 AM »

I'm quite undecided on the bill, but I believe the following may be prudent...

Amendment
That a section be added as follows:
No funds shall issue to the authorities of the Southeast region unless and until said authorities issue such assurances to the President, as he shall deem necessary and sufficient, such that they undertake not to destroy any monies received under this Act.

This, however, I will let be voted on. (It wasn't accepted as friendly so I'm forcing a vote on this through my power as an individual Senator and as PPT.)

Senators, the following Amendment is now at a vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain: (It's been added in proper fashion just for complete understanding and prettiness.)

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2009, 08:23:10 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2009, 08:40:25 AM by Sen. Marokai Blue, PPT »

Aye, as the South has shown little to no proper understanding economics and outright hostility (childish hostility, for that matter) towards the federal government's relief efforts in their region. I will not allow our money to be risked in a region that has a large portion of the population clamoring to burn it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 04:42:19 AM »

I'd like to remind the Senate that there's a vote going on here that's stuck until things change.

The current tally is 5 Ayes and 2 Nays, but we need to finish up this vote, don't forget about it. (It would be appreciated if Jas could show up and vote Aye on his own amendment so we could move on.)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »

Aye

(It would be appreciated if Jas could show up and vote Aye on his own amendment so we could move on.)

As stated elsewhere, work required travel put me beyond regular net access for the past few days.

No problem. Smiley

By a vote of 6 Ayes and 2 Nays, the amendment has passed.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:11 PM »

Anyone want to formally write up the GM's recommendations? I don't particularly agree with them myself, so I'm not sure letting me write it is a good idea.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies