World government, ie the IMF and World Bank.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:14:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  World government, ie the IMF and World Bank.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: World government, ie the IMF and World Bank.  (Read 796 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:59:08 PM »

Reading about the current negotiations going on in the IMF, it sounds alot like negotiations that go on in any legislature. As the developing world gets richer/more powerful, it makes sense that they will have more and more say in international affairs, turning organizations like the IMF, World Bank, and possibly even the UN into organs of a loose world government that may actually be based on a global consensus rather than the consensus of a few countries.

Does that worry people? I can't really decide, but I don't find it terribly scary at the moment, and view the prospect of "countries" becoming less and less important as a rather good opportunity to shed alot of the problems that have haunted humanity for centuries.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:03:57 PM »

The UN won't turn into an instrument of world government, ever.
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »

The UN won't turn into an instrument of world government, ever.

I'm not imagining it turining into an effective government like we think of it, but as poor countries gain more power and more say, and possibly change the permanent structure of the security council, we might see it being used as an instrument to set a more level playing field among the various countries, playing a role in establishing a world government.
Earth

Political Matrix
E: -9.61, S: -9.83

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:41:41 PM »

They'll be strong arming nations well after we're dead, but no, I don't see global governance as a part of this.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2009, 10:32:25 PM by ag »

Freakin' black helicopters.

These are international talking shops. WB and IMF are the ones with the greatest extra weight given to the US anyway.

UN...  BTW, have you checked, what's the budget of the UN proper? The regular budget was under 2 bln dollars last year. That's right: about 1/25th of that of the New York City. Freakin' world government.
Jacobtm

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:08:14 AM »

Freakin' black helicopters.

These are international talking shops. WB and IMF are the ones with the greatest extra weight given to the US anyway.

UN...  BTW, have you checked, what's the budget of the UN proper? The regular budget was under 2 bln dollars last year. That's right: about 1/25th of that of the New York City. Freakin' world government.

I guess I didn't make this clear. I didn't think people would actually think I meant some kind of world state with the combined resources of the hole world.

I mean, literally, that international bodies like these, where powerful countries currently do cut deals about very important things, could come to start producing deals that really do lay the groundwork for how international players can behave, in short, governing some aspects of their behavior.

When there's redistributive policy being argued between India, Argentina, Belgium and Japan, and when certain countries are gaining more power over what to do with other countries' money, it seems that the rules governing the relations between states are changing, at a "international talking shop" which actually sets rules for what powers states have relative to each other.

Not that the UN is gonna have a combined army of EVERYONE, or a budget of 40% global GDP, but that countries might actually begin facing stronger and stronger restrictions on their actions based on the decisions of other countries.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 10:17:16 PM »

I'll be shocked if the UN ever does anything but "strongly condemn" or sanction nations.

Basically, the UN is too incompetent.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »

I'll be shocked if the UN ever does anything but "strongly condemn" or sanction nations.

Basically, the UN is too incompetent.

Don't confuse the UN with the General Assembly and Security Council.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies