Anti-minaret poster campaign divides Swiss cities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:15:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Anti-minaret poster campaign divides Swiss cities
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Anti-minaret poster campaign divides Swiss cities  (Read 12286 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 09:47:21 AM »

NZZ has a nice mapsy-thing (without the lazy Ticino):

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »

I will be forced to make Italian jokes soon if those rednecks in Ticino don't move their asses.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 10:06:51 AM »

Ticino finally reporting:

68% Yes
32% No

Seems the Italians are siding with the German-speakers against the Muslims.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 10:07:03 AM »

Ticino is 68.1% YES. Even more of a backwards sh**thole than Schwyz! Good job, you stupid Italians.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 10:16:19 AM »

The St. Moritz area (District of Maloja) is only 54% for the ban, in an area that is generally more like 60-70% for it.

Maybe the rich liberals voting behaviour that we see in some American ski resorts as well, or the fact that people who have to deal with tourists or foreigners on a daily basis are less xenophobic than regular inhabitants of eastern Switzerland. Probably more of the last.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »

final resuslt:

for: 57 %
against: 43 %
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 10:32:22 AM »

Final results with maps and tabs:

http://www.drs.ch/www/de/drs/nachrichten/ueberraschend-klares-ja-zu-minarettverbot/144576.153976.resultate-minarett-initiative.html
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 11:00:50 AM »

Disgusting but predictable. I say that we ban cuckoo clocks and oddly... chewy... accents.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »

Ok, from now European Swiss should keep their mouth shut whenever authorities in some muslim country would prohibit building of any christian church.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 06:36:05 PM »

I'd be curious to see local results for the four towns/cities/neighborhoods that currently have minarets.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 07:01:27 PM »

I don't see what's so disgusting about this. The Swiss should be able to control the architecture in their country. They already have laws banning buildings from obscuring the view of the Alps, and this is just another law to preserve what a majority of Swiss see as the image of their country. Similarly, I wouldn't have a problem with Iraq or Saudi Arabia banning Swiss architecture in their cities.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 07:21:53 PM »

I feel bad for the French Swiss. They have to live with Austrians.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 07:42:02 PM »

What is there that I might be consuming that's Swiss? I feel a desperate need to switch to a Turkish substitute. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that I have any commercial link to my ancestral homeland that I could cut Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »

What is there that I might be consuming that's Swiss? I feel a desperate need to switch to a Turkish substitute. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that I have any commercial link to my ancestral homeland that I could cut Sad

Toblerones? Cuckoo clocks? Um...
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 08:31:39 PM »

Toblerones? Cuckoo clocks? Um...

Ok, Toblerones - I, probably, consume a bit every 2 or 3 years. I will take care to avoid these now. No cuckoos anywhere around. I have a knife somewhere, but I haven't seen it in a few years (ever since they stopped letting you on a plane w/ a knife, I don't have any use for it). What else could there be?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 01:39:59 AM »

I'd be curious to see local results for the four towns/cities/neighborhoods that currently have minarets.

There are currently 4 cities with minarets: Zürich, Genf, Winterthur and Wangen/Olten.

The results in these cities were:

Zürich City: 36.3 YES
Genf City: 37.0 YES
Winterthur City: 46.9 YES
Wangen/Olten: 61.3 YES
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 01:45:51 AM »

The Swiss Statistics Office has an interactive map with district results online now:

http://www.bfs.admin.ch/bfs/portal/de/index/themen/17/03/blank/key/2009/05.html

Scroll down to "Verbot von Minaretten".
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2009, 02:16:51 AM »

In Austria there are 3 minarets in Vienna, Telfs and Bad Vöslau.

The latter 2 are very new and were built in 2006, but after protests from locals their height was changed from about 25 meters to about 13 meters and no Muezzin can go on top for prayer.

In Austria it is further state policy to decide if minarets can be built or not. Therefore states like Carinthia (BZÖ/ÖVP government) and Vorarlberg (then a ÖVP/FPÖ government) have banned the construction of minarets in these states.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 06:15:22 AM »

Cuckoo clocks are German, not Swiss.

You want to boycott something asthetically unappealing and sort of Swiss, I suggest banks. Cheesy
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 06:18:51 AM »

Good. It's about time the Muslims learned that if they don't tolerate Christianity and atheism, we won't tolerate their religions here.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009, 06:20:18 AM »

Good. It's about time the Muslims learned that if they don't tolerate Christianity and atheism, we won't tolerate their religions here.

Why do you hate freedom?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009, 06:22:47 AM »

Why do you hate freedom?

I don't. It's them who hate freedom. If they're not willing to allow our women to drive in Saudi Arabia, or for atheists and Christians to practice their rights, then I don't see why we should respect their rights and it's ludicrous that we do.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 06:25:35 AM »

Why do you hate freedom?

I don't. It's them who hate freedom. If they're not willing to allow our women to drive in Saudi Arabia, or for atheists and Christians to practice their rights, then I don't see why we should respect their rights and it's ludicrous that we do.

1.) Why are individual muslim immigrants responsible for what governments in the Middle East do against Christians? What you're advocating is punishing someone for something they didn't do.

2.) If we're serious about being liberal democracies that care about individual rights, then it doesn't matter what other countries do in that regard. We're supposed to be setting an example here.

3.) Your opinion here is very anti-libertarian, and to be perfectly honest, borderline fascist.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 06:27:51 AM »

Why do you hate freedom?

1.) Why are individual muslim immigrants responsible for what governments in the Middle East do against Christians? What you're advocating is punishing someone for something they didn't do.

2.) If we're serious about being liberal democracies that care about individual rights, then it doesn't matter what other countries do in that regard. We're supposed to be setting an example here.

3.) Your opinion here is very anti-libertarian, and to be perfectly honest, borderline fascist.

1) Try reading the Qu'ran

2) We should care about individual rights, which is why we should challenge them over their theocratic laws.

3) No, my opinion is logical. Also, don't use the word fascist out of context. The fact is, if I'm fascist for saying what I said, so is Islam, and of course you don't want to say that seeing as it might be 'OMG!' offensive to someone.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2009, 06:33:21 AM »

1.) Who cares about the content of their religious book? We're talking about individual rights that are being abused by the government.

2.) Whose theocratic laws? Did the Muslims immigrants here in Europe make them?

3.) Incorrect. I very strongly oppose Islamic government in the Mideast. BUT THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS ISSUE!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies