It's amazing Bush won.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:57:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2000 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  It's amazing Bush won.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: It's amazing Bush won.  (Read 19264 times)
Redefeatbush04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2004, 02:16:02 PM »

The attack on 9/11 was pretty much unpreventable by 2001.

The last chance was in the airports that morning.  Other than that, things were too far along by January 2001.

3 words Tredrick:

My - Pet - Goat

Question:  If he went charging out of that classroom and to teh nearest telephone what could he have done?  Would this have miraculously stopped the plan from hitting the Pentagon?  Would he have issued orders that were not already being given?  Would thh terrorists have seen Bush was serious and all turned themselves in?

What wonder of wonders would Bush charging out of that room have done?

He is the commander in chief. The 9/11 commission report shows that had he acted within 1 minute of being told the united states was under attack the planes could have been stopped. Instead he spent 7 reading to children. I don't know about you, but I would abandon the kids and defend my country.

He had a sixty second window?  Sorry, but if he had gotten up and left immediately then he would have to be briefed and brought up to speed and he would have given the same order that was given later and what he did when he stayed in the classroom: He would have left it up to the experts to decide what to do.

There is a chain of command.  With the President out of communications leadership fell to other people, who the 9-11 commision shows acted about as well as could be expected.  The President would have deferred to the people who were trained to deal with the situation.

He had been briefed before-hand. I don't even believe he gave the order after that 7 minutes, that is when he left the classroom. And what did our commander in chief do that day. He ran!!! He flew around the country on Air Force one hiding rather than leading this nation.

What should he have done?  FLown next to the plane that wa sheading to DC and went down in PA, jumped on board it and defeated the terrorists in hand to hand combat?  WOuld make a great movie, but has no basis in anything close to reality.

He had not been briefed on what was happening.  All he knew was that 2 planes had flown into the WTC.  That is what he was told.

Again, what should he have done?  Gone back to the white house?  He can lead as well if not better from AF1 than he can from Marine 1 and inside the WH itself.

Seriously, what could he have done?  All he knew coming out of the room was that 2 planes had hit the TWC.  What action could he take?  Groundstop?  Already happening.   Try to contact all planes in the air?  Happening.

What could the President have done that was not already being done?

He could have stopped it then and he can stop future attacks now. We need to strengthen the borders, not loosen them. Now all a terrorist has to do is get one of those "green cards" Bush was talking about in the debate. While in the US he buys an AK-47 (cause they can now), and first shoots out a main power line (it is shown that with one gunshot you can knock out power to all of Los-Angeles area). With power down there will be chaos and it will be easy to commit whatever acts they need to with their Ak-47's or otherwise.
Aegir
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2004, 04:44:50 PM »

Thinking back on it, I'm surprised that Bush didn't win by a very comfortable margin.

ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2004, 04:55:02 PM »

The last chance was in the airports that morning.  Other than that, things were too far along by January 2001.

3 words Tredrick:

My - Pet - Goat

Question:  If he went charging out of that classroom and to teh nearest telephone what could he have done?  Would this have miraculously stopped the plan from hitting the Pentagon?  Would he have issued orders that were not already being given?  Would thh terrorists have seen Bush was serious and all turned themselves in?

He is the commander in chief. The 9/11 commission report shows that had he acted within 1 minute of being told the united states was under attack the planes could have been stopped. Instead he spent 7 reading to children. I don't know about you, but I would abandon the kids and defend my country.

He had a sixty second window?  Sorry, but if he had gotten up and left immediately then he would have to be briefed and brought up to speed and he would have given the same order that was given later and what he did when he stayed in the classroom: He would have left it up to the experts to decide what to do.

There is a chain of command.  With the President out of communications leadership fell to other people, who the 9-11 commision shows acted about as well as could be expected.  The President would have deferred to the people who were trained to deal with the situation.

He had been briefed before-hand. I don't even believe he gave the order after that 7 minutes, that is when he left the classroom. And what did our commander in chief do that day. He ran!!! He flew around the country on Air Force one hiding rather than leading this nation.

What should he have done?  FLown next to the plane that wa sheading to DC and went down in PA, jumped on board it and defeated the terrorists in hand to hand combat?  WOuld make a great movie, but has no basis in anything close to reality.

He had not been briefed on what was happening.  All he knew was that 2 planes had flown into the WTC.  That is what he was told.

Again, what should he have done?  Gone back to the white house?  He can lead as well if not better from AF1 than he can from Marine 1 and inside the WH itself.

Seriously, what could he have done?  All he knew coming out of the room was that 2 planes had hit the TWC.  What action could he take?  Groundstop?  Already happening.   Try to contact all planes in the air?  Happening.

He could have stopped it then and he can stop future attacks now. We need to strengthen the borders, not loosen them. Now all a terrorist has to do is get one of those "green cards" Bush was talking about in the debate. While in the US he buys an AK-47 (cause they can now), and first shoots out a main power line (it is shown that with one gunshot you can knock out power to all of Los-Angeles area). With power down there will be chaos and it will be easy to commit whatever acts they need to with their Ak-47's or otherwise.

You say he could have stopepd it.  How?  How can he be fully briefed on the situation in the air and on the ground and come up with a plan to stop the planes in 60 seconds.

Take all the time you need to come up with a plan.  Then realize you hve the benefit of hindsight and knowing the full timeline of what happened.  Luzuries Bush lacked.  I bet it still takes you more than 60 seconds.

And you can not buy a fully automatic AK-47.  You never could.  You could not buy a semi-automatic AK-47 under the ban, but you could buy many, many other semi-auto weapons.  Heck, my brother-in-law has some in the house next door.  You still can buy them.

The assault weapons ban always was a joke.  It banned weapons that looked scary, but were no more dangerous than other weapons that remained perfectly legal.

How about a real solution to the problem.  How about requiring an ID check and not allowing weapons sold to non-citizens.  How about required safety training with all weapon purchases.  These are things I wager the NRA would agree with.  Heck, they would probably offer to set up the classes.

Redefeatbush04

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2004, 05:08:17 PM »

3 words Tredrick:

My - Pet - Goat

You say he could have stopepd it.  How?  How can he be fully briefed on the situation in the air and on the ground and come up with a plan to stop the planes in 60 seconds.

Take all the time you need to come up with a plan.  Then realize you hve the benefit of hindsight and knowing the full timeline of what happened.  Luzuries Bush lacked.  I bet it still takes you more than 60 seconds.

And you can not buy a fully automatic AK-47.  You never could.  You could not buy a semi-automatic AK-47 under the ban, but you could buy many, many other semi-auto weapons.  Heck, my brother-in-law has some in the house next door.  You still can buy them.

The assault weapons ban always was a joke.  It banned weapons that looked scary, but were no more dangerous than other weapons that remained perfectly legal.

How about a real solution to the problem.  How about requiring an ID check and not allowing weapons sold to non-citizens.  How about required safety training with all weapon purchases.  These are things I wager the NRA would agree with.  Heck, they would probably offer to set up the classes.

Bush received a document back in August titled something like: "Al-queda determined to attack the US" which showed possible interests in hijaking planes. He had a month to do that. I don't know about you but I would have at least read it. As for the assault weapons. The weapons themselves are not excessively more dangerous, but some now-legal accesories covered by the ban are. Flashers which at night make it difficult for police to identify the location of the shooter are now legal. There is no reason to own an assault weapon, even though Osama appeared to think so (in his videos). The only beneficial use of assault weapons is to mow down bodies, such as those kids from Columbine did. I believe that every American has the right to own a gun. I do not believe there is a need for assault weapons. I ask you Tredrick, why do you need an assault weapon?

Yes assault weapons should not be sold to non-citizens. But these folk have people working on the inside. Hell, half of the 9/11 attackers were REGISTERED TO VOTE. Once they get in the insiders they are working with can EASILY get them weapons and other suplies.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2004, 05:31:50 PM »

Bush received a document back in August titled something like: "Al-queda determined to attack the US" which showed possible interests in hijaking planes. He had a month to do that. I don't know about you but I would have at least read it. As for the assault weapons. The weapons themselves are not excessively more dangerous, but some now-legal accesories covered by the ban are. Flashers which at night make it difficult for police to identify the location of the shooter are now legal. There is no reason to own an assault weapon, even though Osama appeared to think so (in his videos). The only beneficial use of assault weapons is to mow down bodies, such as those kids from Columbine did. I believe that every American has the right to own a gun. I do not believe there is a need for assault weapons. I ask you Tredrick, why do you need an assault weapon?

Yes assault weapons should not be sold to non-citizens. But these folk have people working on the inside. Hell, half of the 9/11 attackers were REGISTERED TO VOTE. Once they get in the insiders they are working with can EASILY get them weapons and other suplies.

Full text of the memo

Show me where it says bin Laden plans to use planes to attack the US.  Show me where there is actionable intelligence.  SHow me where it says these are the people we should go out and arrest.

From the memo there is no sign about the plot that was brewing.  Hijackings had long been a terrorist weapon, using the planes to hit buildings was new and is not mentioned in the memo.

There is nothing in the memo that Bush could do more about than to tell the FBI to keep doing what they were doing.  Is there anything in there that could lead the US to arrest people?  Is there a sign to where bin Laden is at the time the memo was written?

What coudl the President have done, based on this memo, that could haev prevented 9-11?  Order a groundstop because there may be a hijacking?  Order increased security at airports (they were already at their highest level pre 9-11)?  Capture al-qaeda leaders? 

Why do I need an assault weapon?  Because I have the right to bear arms and I need to defend myself and my property if the people like BRTD get in and decide to come and take everything I have worked for so they can create their glorious communist dream.  The right to bear arms is there to allow the people to defend themselves from the military if the government ever becomes oppresive.  A well armed populace is the best defense against totalitarianism, fascism, stalinism and every other -ism that would love to take away some of my other rights.

Still, there needs to be some reasonable regulations.  Most second ammendment supporters miss the "well regulated" part of the ammendment.  Personally I think military quality weapons should be kept as part of community run gun/militia centers.  Ever citizen will be able to access them in the center for practice and other such fun activites.  In times of emergency the center would be there for the use of the community on order of the community mayor, by order of the local council or by demand of a majority of the voting age population.
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2004, 09:04:27 AM »

That's just not true.

Immediately after the attack, people on the news were already debating whether Bush was "being rational" about all of this..."does it really make sense to invade another country?"..."not even the mighty Soviet Empire could beat the Afghans!"

Gore would not have invaded.

Are you so sure? You're speculating. I'm speculating too, to be objective about it, but I think the political pressure would have made him have to invade(or the Republican Congress would have declared war anyways and Gore would have had to).

I agree with what you've said. And people shouldn't forget the influence of would-be vice president Lieberman
Serenity Now
tomm_86
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2004, 09:26:47 AM »

3 words Tredrick:

My - Pet - Goat

Regardless of what happened before the day, I agree It's petty to have a go at Bush for how he acted a few minutes when he heard the news, he is only human - just imagine how you'd react (or how you did react) if you hear such information. Such cirmcumstances are shocking and confusing and it takes a while for it to hit in - maybe a bit too long in his case but still there wouldn't have been anything he could've done that others couldn't have or weren't already doing. There weren't any secret servie running in to get him. He just had to sit there and awkwardly wait to know what the hell was going on.

I don't think some of you dems would've treated Gore with the same standards and I'm not going to treat Bush with such standards.  Gore wouldn't have been much different, and he would've retaliated and gone after Bin Laden, not just because of the fact that he'd be forced to by public pressure but becasue he would believe it to be the right thing to do. Don't forget that there was a huge wave of international sympathy and support for the US - they could do anything they want without question. What amazes me is how quickly Bush lost that consenus - that seems to me a real diplomatic failure.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »

Bush Jr. wasn't running against incumbency. If he did, he would have lost.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 07:55:11 PM »

Yes 8 years of one party is plenty for the American public. In 1960 Eisenhower would've had a 3rd term and Kennedy won. Same with Clinton in 2000. Bush did win, but he also ran against a complete putts. My point being that people like the right kind of change in moderation. As for 9/11, I'm not sure what to say except for maybe our Electoral College system was a gift from God back in the 18th century that was put in place to defeat the terrorists after the attacks. If Gore would've been in office, we would have a section of our country devoted to Islamic rule and Charil law. Thank God for Bush and thank God for our Electoral College system.
cpeeks
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 02:09:03 AM »

Yes 8 years of one party is plenty for the American public. In 1960 Eisenhower would've had a 3rd term and Kennedy won. Same with Clinton in 2000. Bush did win, but he also ran against a complete putts. My point being that people like the right kind of change in moderation. As for 9/11, I'm not sure what to say except for maybe our Electoral College system was a gift from God back in the 18th century that was put in place to defeat the terrorists after the attacks. If Gore would've been in office, we would have a section of our country devoted to Islamic rule and Charil law. Thank God for Bush and thank God for our Electoral College system.
That is utterly ridiculous I cant believe alot this stuff you say.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 02:10:38 AM »

That is utterly ridiculous I cant believe alot this stuff you say.

You weren't taught growing up to thank God that we have Bush in office? I was and now I understand why. (I'm being very sincere here).
cpeeks
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 04:06:48 AM »

No I always said God forbid he does for this country what he did for the Texas Rangers, took a world championship caliber baseball team, and ran them straight into the ground. Of course he has done that with everything he ever touched, the rangers, buisnesses, and ultimately this nation. We are a million times worse off than we he took office.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »

That's just not true.

Immediately after the attack, people on the news were already debating whether Bush was "being rational" about all of this..."does it really make sense to invade another country?"..."not even the mighty Soviet Empire could beat the Afghans!"

Are you so sure? You're speculating. I'm speculating too, to be objective about it, but I think the political pressure would have made him have to invade(or the Republican Congress would have declared war anyways and Gore would have had to).

I agree with what you've said. And people shouldn't forget the influence of would-be vice president Lieberman

lol. The GOP Congress wouldn't have been so foolish to declare or propose war on Iraq if the U.S. President would be against such an idea. Gore could just point out the GOP for being hypocrites by opposing the bombings in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s to prevent genocide but supporting a war against Iraq, which wasn't an immediate threat to the U.S. Also, Gore wouldn't have manipulated the intelligence regarding Iraq the way Bush did. Finally, if the GOP Congress ever proposed this, Gore could have just said that they are ignoring ordianry Americans during tough economic times and want to cause foreign adventures when we should be focusing on our domestic problems and concerns.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 09:33:27 PM »

No I always said God forbid he does for this country what he did for the Texas Rangers, took a world championship caliber baseball team, and ran them straight into the ground. Of course he has done that with everything he ever touched, the rangers, buisnesses, and ultimately this nation. We are a million times worse off than we he took office.

The Texas Rangers were a winning team as late as 1999.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »

That's just not true.

lol. The GOP Congress wouldn't have been so foolish to declare or propose war on Iraq if the U.S. President would be against such an idea. Gore could just point out the GOP for being hypocrites by opposing the bombings in the former Yugoslavia in the 1990s to prevent genocide but supporting a war against Iraq, which wasn't an immediate threat to the U.S. Also, Gore wouldn't have manipulated the intelligence regarding Iraq the way Bush did. Finally, if the GOP Congress ever proposed this, Gore could have just said that they are ignoring ordianry Americans during tough economic times and want to cause foreign adventures when we should be focusing on our domestic problems and concerns.

They didn't manipulate intelligence though. You all sound like broken records:

He cheated in Florida.
Tax cuts for the rich.
No war for oil.
He knew about 9/11.
He was on vacation during Hurricane Katrina.
He lied about the WMD.

Wha Wha Wha let me get my violin.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »

That's just not true.

He cheated in Florida.
Tax cuts for the rich.
No war for oil.
He knew about 9/11.
He lied about the WMD.

-He did cheat in Florida
-He did give tax cuts to the rich
-He probably did go to Iraq for oil
-He new an attack like 9/11 was imminent
-He was on vacation at John McCain's ranch during Katrina
-And he did lie about WMD

Derek, all of this stuff is true.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2010, 10:13:07 PM »

That's just not true.

He cheated in Florida.
Tax cuts for the rich.
No war for oil.
He knew about 9/11.
He lied about the WMD.

-He did cheat in Florida

If you watch the BBC, Al-Jazeera, and CNN then it's understandable how you'd believe such lies.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2010, 10:16:06 PM »

That's just not true.

He cheated in Florida.
Tax cuts for the rich.
No war for oil.
He knew about 9/11.
He lied about the WMD.

-He did cheat in Florida

If you watch the BBC, Al-Jazeera, and CNN then it's understandable how you'd believe such lies.

Actually, I hate CNN, never have heard of Al-Jazeera, and only read the BBC's internet news.

Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2010, 12:20:36 AM »

That's just not true.

He cheated in Florida.
Tax cuts for the rich.
No war for oil.
He knew about 9/11.
He lied about the WMD.

-He did cheat in Florida

Actually, I hate CNN, never have heard of Al-Jazeera, and only read the BBC's internet news.

Ok then ABC, NBC, CBS, New York Times, Washington Post, anything out of the US. Al-Jazeera is a Muslim and state owned media in Israel who only gives Al-Qaida's view on the War on Terror.
cpeeks
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2010, 04:48:42 AM »

They would have won a couple of world series if that moron hadnt been the g.m. LOL my god the idiot traded away Juan Gonzalez and Sammy Sosa. And guys you cant tell him anything. Bill O'Reilly tell him what to believe, all he knows is what the talking points tell him.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2010, 12:47:05 PM »

They would have won a couple of world series if that moron hadnt been the g.m. LOL my god the idiot traded away Juan Gonzalez and Sammy Sosa. And guys you cant tell him anything. Bill O'Reilly tell him what to believe, all he knows is what the talking points tell him.

Those players didn't look strong when he got rid of them. The same can be said for alot of players before they peak.
cpeeks
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »

LOL WHATEVER, Now your just making stuff up asyou go.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2010, 04:20:35 PM »

Do you still lose sleep at night over the 2000 election?
cpeeks
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2010, 07:00:04 PM »

We would have been alot better off, so would 5,000 dead american troops, and half a million dead Iraq's, plus you probably wouldnt be on this forum either lol.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2010, 11:26:02 PM »

We would have been alot better off, so would 5,000 dead american troops, and half a million dead Iraq's, plus you probably wouldnt be on this forum either lol.

So you're losing sleep?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies