The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:22:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions]  (Read 11551 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2009, 05:27:41 PM »
« edited: October 23, 2009, 06:14:39 AM by Sen. Marokai Blue, PPT »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Senator Tmthforu94
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »

I personally don't think it goes far enough.  It's probably the best that can be achieved, though.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:35:45 PM »

Well I do think it goes far enough. I might even support reeling it back a month or so, but it has my complete support regardless.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 05:38:58 PM »

I see nothing wrong with this.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 06:05:03 PM »

I personally don't think it goes far enough.  It's probably the best that can be achieved, though.
What do you think the Senate could do, Governor Ben, to make this amendment better?

Lt. Gov. PiT suggested the idea to allow people to move if there is a real life move. While that would be ideal, it could be a lot of work for moderators, and there could be some loopholes in this.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 06:08:06 PM »

What do you think the Senate could do, Governor Ben, to make this amendment better?

Lt. Gov. PiT suggested the idea to allow people to move if there is a real life move. While that would be ideal, it could be a lot of work for moderators, and there could be some loopholes in this.

It occurred to me that people have sometimes experienced spontaneous temporary IP changes. I doubt there would be that many changes due to real life moves, so maybe they could be required to wait a week first & then the mods could go back & check the poster's IP addresses over the last week or so.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »

I'd like to add in a requirement saying that people must move at least 45 days prior to an election taking place in order to vote in that election.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 06:15:16 PM »

I'd like to add in a requirement saying that people must move at least 45 days prior to an election taking place in order to vote in that election.

Well, that could be complicated in a region like ours, where we have elections running every two months. I could consider 15, maybe even 30, though. But you could easily work your way around that. Most parties know which candidates they're running months before the election. That would only make things a little more difficult for them, having to make sure everyone was moved to the right region within 45/30/15 days before the election.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 06:15:47 PM »

I support this, and I would not vote against a reduction of the time frame from 180 to 120 or 90. Though 90 is the absolute limit.

I oppose a loophole for 'real-life moves', since it's easy to fake that and forcing mods to do an IP check would get very tedious on them if they even bother doing it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 06:20:38 PM »

Well, that could be complicated in a region like ours, where we have elections running every two months. I could consider 15, maybe even 30, though. But you could easily work your way around that. Most parties know which candidates they're running months before the election. That would only make things a little more difficult for them, having to make sure everyone was moved to the right region within 45/30/15 days before the election.

I don't want to make it any easier for a Party to move people in before an election.  While you have a valid point about the 2 month elections, nobody has strategically moved in order to win the Mideast Assembly or the Governorship of the Northeast.  This is all about Federal Elections, which are every 4 months.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »

I support this, and I would not vote against a reduction of the time frame from 180 to 120 or 90. Though 90 is the absolute limit.

I oppose a loophole for 'real-life moves', since it's easy to fake that and forcing mods to do an IP check would get very tedious on them if they even bother doing it.

Especially if they have to sniff out proxies. Yeah, it's probably for the best to not include that.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 06:27:54 PM »

Also, I say we use this opportunity to clarify, in words and on paper, that no 'free moves' are to be allowed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 06:34:10 PM »

Also, I say we use this opportunity to clarify, in words and on paper, that no 'free moves' are to be allowed.
That's a good idea.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 06:36:45 PM »

I have a certain soft spot for the 'free move.' It allows people who are new to the game to get more used to it and move to a region they more appreciate. We should still retain some newbie-friendliness.

Unfortunately it also has the potential for great abuse, which is why I'm conflicted. However, if people are going to vote stack, I'd imagine they'd do it in the initial registration, and not necessarily in the free move.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 06:37:42 PM »

I have a certain soft spot for the 'free move.' It allows people who are new to the game to get more used to it and move to a region they more appreciate. We should still retain some newbie-friendliness.

Unfortunately it also has the potential for great abuse, which is why I'm conflicted. However, if people are going to vote stack, I'd imagine they'd do it in the initial registration, and not necessarily in the free move.
How about, making the free move void after a period of one week?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 06:38:06 PM »

How about, making the free move void after a period of one week?

That's a reasonable compromise.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »

Bravo for game reform.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 08:05:47 PM »

I propose an amendment to my own bill. Tongue Special thanks to Marokai for assisting me on this.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 08:06:48 PM »

I believe we just treat this as a friendly amendment, so Senators have 24 hours to object.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 09:49:52 PM »

If you reduce it to 90, won't individuals be able to move in between regional senate races?  I support keeping the bill as it is.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »

If you reduce it to 90, won't individuals be able to move in between regional senate races?  I support keeping the bill as it is.

No because regional elections are every 4 months. 4 months>90 days.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 09:54:54 PM »

Which means you could move in between regional Senate races, because there are more than ninety days in four months.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 09:56:39 PM »

Which means you could move after 3 months to the next region that looks competitive. I guess anything more than 120 days should be sufficient.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »

Which means you could move in between regional Senate races, because there are more than ninety days in four months.

30+31+30+31=122

So yeah, 125 days I suppose is good enough.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »

But there is no reason to get rid of the free move.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies