The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:11:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions]  (Read 11599 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: October 12, 2009, 05:38:58 PM »

I see nothing wrong with this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 07:30:11 AM »

Aye.

I like keeping the free move for the first seven days and then removing it as an option. We could amend it later to reduce the limit from 180 to 125 or whatever, but that basic structure and change to the free move is good.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 08:30:43 PM »

At any rate, this is a horrendously bad idea.

Its better them your horrendously bad idea. I would rather try this first, then see if works then jump right into huge changes like you want.

Stop disrepected the hollowed chambers of the Senate. Great mighty men have worked where you now slither over in comparison to there stature, so please, some respect would be nice.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 09:08:25 PM »

You think that these paper barriers will halt strategic registration?

We will see.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 06:40:13 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2009, 07:52:51 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You think that these paper barriers will halt strategic registration?

It's better than nothing.

Not at all. Stopping legitimate people from discovering Atlasia is far worse than nothing.

And if they really care, they will wait.

Why should they have to wait to join your elite and exclusive club?

Indeed. If I had to wait 25 days, I would have never joined. We shouldn't be restricting access to people who "really care" before joining.

I didn't realise this bill had a clause that made people have to wait 25 before registering. I thought that was a separate amendment. Maybe we could reduce to 20, as a compromise if so.

May I recommend simply saying "six months" instead of 180 days? It would be easier for the SoFA to count that way. Or maybe I'm just being silly... Smiley

I would be willing to introduce an amendment, but I don't have time till this evening. So I hope Marokai doesn't bring this up for a final vote before then.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 06:56:13 PM »

For the sake of the SoFA, I offer the following amendment

You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 07:11:22 PM »

Listen all I did was write up the suggestions of the former President Bgwah so they could be voted upon. I don't really have an opinion on this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »

And I just realised I screwed up the math. It should be 6 months not 4. GPorter still has me a little rattled from earlier. Tongue

I withdraw my amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2009, 07:11:18 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Thats better, I think. Smiley

Just so you know that is 180 days that is struck out not 100. The strike through blends in the 8 making it look like a zero. ex. 88 88both numbers are eighty eight.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »

Aye
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 05:03:37 PM »

Nay on the amendment at vote.

It was Emsworth, one of Atlasia's greatest ever legal minds, who submitted the 7th Amendment originally - that which changed the wording from "two months" to "sixty days" back in October 2005.

I can't recall the reasoning behind it - nor is there reference to why it was done in the Senate debate on the Amendment at the time, nor in the Senate Legislation Introductory thread when it was introduced, nor from the then protest and analysis thread, nor in any of the legal cases I've checked, so I'm unsure as to exactly what the reasoning for the change was.

I'm nonetheless presuming there was a sound, and potentially legally significant, reason for that change - so unless and until it is established to my satisfaction otherwise, I will vote to retain the days rather than months system of measurement.

Here is the "debate" on that bill.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=30427.30

That doesn't help much.

I personally prefer four months or six months over 120 days or 180 days.

Agreeing with some of the other old timers on here, it would be advised that the Senators take their time to get the terminology correct before passing a final version.

Come to think of it, I could really use some help on proper bill righting. Its a skill thats hard to grasp. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 05:08:43 PM »

Nay on the amendment at vote.

It was Emsworth, one of Atlasia's greatest ever legal minds, who submitted the 7th Amendment originally - that which changed the wording from "two months" to "sixty days" back in October 2005.

I can't recall the reasoning behind it - nor is there reference to why it was done in the Senate debate on the Amendment at the time, nor in the Senate Legislation Introductory thread when it was introduced, nor from the then protest and analysis thread, nor in any of the legal cases I've checked, so I'm unsure as to exactly what the reasoning for the change was.

I'm nonetheless presuming there was a sound, and potentially legally significant, reason for that change - so unless and until it is established to my satisfaction otherwise, I will vote to retain the days rather than months system of measurement.

Here is the "debate" on that bill.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=30427.30

That doesn't help much.

I personally prefer four months or six months over 120 days or 180 days.

Agreeing with some of the other old timers on here, it would be advised that the Senators take their time to get the terminology correct before passing a final version.

Come to think of it, I could really use some help on proper bill righting. Its a skill thats hard to grasp. Smiley

Yep Roll Eyes

I was hoping someone would catch that, preferably Marokai and not you though. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 06:26:38 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies