The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:57:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Strategic Registration Amendment [Passed to Regions]  (Read 11655 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« on: October 13, 2009, 09:51:03 PM »

I support this, and I would not vote against a reduction of the time frame from 180 to 120 or 90. Though 90 is the absolute limit.

I oppose a loophole for 'real-life moves', since it's easy to fake that and forcing mods to do an IP check would get very tedious on them if they even bother doing it.

If you reduce it to 90, won't individuals be able to move in between regional senate races?  I support keeping the bill as it is.

No because regional elections are every 4 months. 4 months>90 days.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »

I support this, and I would not vote against a reduction of the time frame from 180 to 120 or 90. Though 90 is the absolute limit.

I oppose a loophole for 'real-life moves', since it's easy to fake that and forcing mods to do an IP check would get very tedious on them if they even bother doing it.

If you reduce it to 90, won't individuals be able to move in between regional senate races?  I support keeping the bill as it is.

No because regional elections are every 4 months. 4 months>90 days.

Which means you could move in between regional Senate races, because there are more than ninety days in four months.

30+31+30+31=122

So yeah, 125 days I suppose is good enough.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:11:40 PM »

But there is no reason to get rid of the free move.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:26:25 PM »

The free move is necessary to keep people in the game.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »

No it's not. Moving should be just made on a whim. In real life you don't just move for the hell of it.

This isn't real life, so get over it.

Purple State def. made use of his free move.

I'm glad I moved.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 10:30:12 PM »

I think 125 days and specifically scrap the free move is appropriate.

Were you registered in New York for over 180 days?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 10:34:23 PM »

No it's not. Moving should be just made on a whim. In real life you don't just move for the hell of it.

This isn't real life, so get over it.

Purple State def. made use of his free move.

I'm glad I moved.

What other reason to keep it than to be able to maneuver your zombies where you want them? You seem to be the only one fighting against this bill.

Maybe because I'd never want to be stuck in a crappy region like the South or Pacific that are boring and uneventful.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 10:34:55 PM »

Saying that I used it therefore it is vital to the game is a logical fallacy. I am sure I would have survived without it. Now, especially with the proliferation of regional legislatures and rise in activity from my early days, the free move is unnecessary. Involvement in the game is not limited based on your region as it was when only the Mideast actually did anything.

That's not true. The Pacific and South suck just as much as ever.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 10:43:25 PM »

Saying that I used it therefore it is vital to the game is a logical fallacy. I am sure I would have survived without it. Now, especially with the proliferation of regional legislatures and rise in activity from my early days, the free move is unnecessary. Involvement in the game is not limited based on your region as it was when only the Mideast actually did anything.

Partly because members who would vote for the legislature can't keep their asses in the region because they need to strategically register somewhere else.

The Pacific is another story and would probably be more exciting if non-JCP members actually gave it a shot and stayed.

People left the South because they didn't like Bacon King and DWTl.

People left the Pacific because it's boring and there is no way to fix it.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »

Partly because members who would vote for the legislature can't keep their asses in the region because they need to strategically register somewhere else.

The Pacific is another story and would probably be more exciting if non-JCP members actually gave it a shot and stayed.

DWTL left the Southeast, so I don't really follow your logic there.

The Pacific would be less boring if people stayed, so your logic is actually backwards here.

Either way, the free move is a bad idea and, if it must remain, should be somewhere around 72 hours, not a week.

People leave the Pacific because it's boring and sucks.

DWTL left the South after others. I know Dan left it because of DWTL. DWTL left because of Bacon King.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 10:52:44 PM »

DWTL left the Southeast, so I don't really follow your logic there.

The Pacific would be less boring if people stayed, so your logic is actually backwards here.

Either way, the free move is a bad idea and, if it must remain, should be somewhere around 72 hours, not a week.

People leave the Pacific because it's boring and sucks.

DWTL left the South after others. I know Dan left it because of DWTL. DWTL left because of Bacon King.

I wouldn't mind the Senate putting an end to stupid moving like that either. If you leave because you dislike a person in your region... please...

And DWTL left the Southeast to run for Senate, nothing else.

He wouldn't have left if he were an Assemblyman. All Bacon King's fault.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 05:19:34 PM »

Nay

The free move
Rowan is an embarrasment to the system.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 08:16:08 PM »

Sorry I lack the dignity to want to burn down Iran.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »

At any rate, this is a horrendously bad idea.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »

No. The risk is too great. Forcing new members to wait almost a month will turn Atlasia ever more into a walled-off island. This is cutting off the nose to spite the face. I would prefer zombies to this.

Plus people would just find ways around it anyway.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 09:15:13 PM »

You think that these paper barriers will halt strategic registration?

It's better than nothing.

Not at all. Stopping legitimate people from discovering Atlasia is far worse than nothing.

And if they really care, they will wait.

Why should they have to wait to join your elite and exclusive club?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 09:58:28 PM »

You think that these paper barriers will halt strategic registration?

It's better than nothing.

Not at all. Stopping legitimate people from discovering Atlasia is far worse than nothing.

And if they really care, they will wait.

Why should they have to wait to join your elite and exclusive club?

Indeed. If I had to wait 25 days, I would have never joined. We shouldn't be restricting access to people who "really care" before joining.

I think you are talking about a different amendment. This is the one that increases the time between moves to six months.

In either case, I'd have left if I were stuck in the Pacific. It goes for both of these atrocious bills.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2009, 07:01:31 PM »

I'm not too crazy about lowering the limit, honestly. And using "month" instead of "day" is somewhat unfair, thanks to February. Some people might not have to wait as long.

Elections aren't held on days, so it doesn't matter.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2009, 07:02:52 PM »

One week+4 months is better then.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2009, 07:06:20 PM »

Bump it back up to 180. I will not support an amendment for it to be lower.

Has your support been crucial to any bill? So far all your votes have been pretty damn irrelevant.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 06:12:35 AM »

I don't accept that the so-called "free move" actually exists at all at present, nor that there exists a legal basis for it. It is a matter for the SoFA to enforce the legal reality and a matter for legal challenge if this is not done.
I disagree. The rule is that people may change their state of registration ("move") once every so and so often. An original registration is not a "move". The current interpretation is correct. It's only the misconception that this represents a "free move" that is throwing things off.

I agree that the original registration is not a "move" - but I think that's irrelevant.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The text refers to changing the State of registration, not "moving". I don't understand how any subsequent registration (fewer than 60 days after the original registration), purporting to give a different State, wouldn't fall foul of this provision.

An initial registration isn't a change.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 06:22:22 AM »

I don't accept that the so-called "free move" actually exists at all at present, nor that there exists a legal basis for it. It is a matter for the SoFA to enforce the legal reality and a matter for legal challenge if this is not done.
I disagree. The rule is that people may change their state of registration ("move") once every so and so often. An original registration is not a "move". The current interpretation is correct. It's only the misconception that this represents a "free move" that is throwing things off.

I agree that the original registration is not a "move" - but I think that's irrelevant.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The text refers to changing the State of registration, not "moving". I don't understand how any subsequent registration (fewer than 60 days after the original registration), purporting to give a different State, wouldn't fall foul of this provision.

An initial registration isn't a change.

Of course it is. It is a change in one's State of registration - from not being registered anywhere to being registered wherever. The evidence is the changes made to the voter rolls when new registerees arise.

If the first registration isn't a change, then one could make a nonsense surely of other aspects of electoral law. One could presumably vote without being registered anywhere - as an initial registration apparently doesn't change one's registration.

No. This is a voter registration. Not a move. I think it's safe to say I registered to vote just fine without changing states, and I only change my voter registration when I move. You have to be registered to change it. How can you change a nonexistent?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 06:33:02 AM »

I think it's safe to say I registered to vote just fine without changing states, and I only change my voter registration when I move.

You may well have initially registered to vote without moving States - however that's irrelevant.

What's important is that one can't initially register without changing one's State of registration - from nothing to something. That is a change, the most fundamental and important change possible.

I do not believe an initiation is a change. Going from nothing to something isn't a change. Going from one thing to another is change.

Main Entry: 1change
Pronunciation: \ˈchānj\
Function: verb

1.  to replace with another

Another suggests that it is something existent. An initiation does not involve replacement, being nonexistent and unprecedented in its previous state.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2009, 05:04:14 PM »

Nay on the amendment at vote.

It was Emsworth, one of Atlasia's greatest ever legal minds, who submitted the 7th Amendment originally - that which changed the wording from "two months" to "sixty days" back in October 2005.

I can't recall the reasoning behind it - nor is there reference to why it was done in the Senate debate on the Amendment at the time, nor in the Senate Legislation Introductory thread when it was introduced, nor from the then protest and analysis thread, nor in any of the legal cases I've checked, so I'm unsure as to exactly what the reasoning for the change was.

I'm nonetheless presuming there was a sound, and potentially legally significant, reason for that change - so unless and until it is established to my satisfaction otherwise, I will vote to retain the days rather than months system of measurement.

Here is the "debate" on that bill.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=30427.30

That doesn't help much.

I personally prefer four months or six months over 120 days or 180 days.

Agreeing with some of the other old timers on here, it would be advised that the Senators take their time to get the terminology correct before passing a final version.

Come to think of it, I could really use some help on proper bill righting. Its a skill thats hard to grasp. Smiley

Yep Roll Eyes

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies