AMSTAR sign up
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:13:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  AMSTAR sign up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: AMSTAR sign up  (Read 17651 times)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »
« edited: June 05, 2010, 09:53:37 PM by Teddy »

SEE THIS POST: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=103686.msg2522206#msg2522206

This is the successor to my un-united states game that never got off the ground. If you are interested, please sign up here. Note: the game will be played on a map of Europe.

Note that I am also trying to gain players on another forum I post at. If I get players from both I will ask for e-mail addresses to be PMed to me so that everyone can contact one another.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 12:31:41 AM »

ay, i do this
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 12:39:24 AM »

Yea.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 04:57:52 PM »

Aye. As long as I can have Scotland Grin
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 12:07:45 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2009, 01:51:26 AM by Emperor Awesome »

First 4 playable nations:

Note that like my other game, I will assign based on preferences, not first-come-first-serve.

Remember there are folks from another forum who are also applying to play as well, I will share preference lists between the two as this progresses.

-------------
Other playable nations include Hungary (1914 borders) and Poland (1772)

Germany will be a federation, and include all Germans, as well as Bohemia.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 04:15:24 AM »

Preview finished map of Europe. Note, areas outside europe will be open... but its complicated. You'll all see in due time Smiley

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 07:00:06 AM »

I want Breizh.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 07:11:47 AM »

I can't see the map Sad Is my own little land avaliable? Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:22 AM »

Yes. Breizh also includes Cymru, Kernow, and part of Ulster.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 07:16:28 AM »

Dibs on Scotland then Smiley And Ulster...I might want Ulster Wink

jk
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 07:55:31 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2009, 07:57:27 AM by Emperor Awesome »

Um, you mean you want Wales?

Wales includes Cornwall, most of Ulster, Strathclyde, and Brittany

Scotland, and Ireland are independent. Northern England is owned by Denmark, and southern England by Normandy.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 08:01:49 AM »

Also, remember that you need to apply with a preference list.

I'm going to make a rule that in order to be accepted, a preference list must include at least 5 nations.

I'd also ask (but not require) people hold off from picking nations for the next 16 hours, as I will finish the real map (what you see is just a preview map) which is almost done but is getting prettified. The real map will come with nation names, histories, and all that fun stuff.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 09:05:18 AM »

Partial Nations List

Note that many of the names of countries below are not final, and some are just placeholder names.

Notes on AMSTAR
AMSTAR, or the "Alliance of Monarchies, STates, And Republics" is a multi-national organization. It is also a defensive pact, if one member is attacked by a non member, all members must rush to his defense. A majority of the nations in the world are in AMSTAR; the remainder have set up their own alliance. The net result is that there are some borders that can never change. Arabia, for example, is not in AMSTAR, and it is therefore impossible for any nation in AMSTAR to attack it, or for it to attack any nation in AMSTAR. The border with Arabia, therefore, will never change. Nations like China are not in AMSTAR; and most of Africa and South America are also off limits. Nations within AMSTAR are free to kill one another, however. The "objective" of the game is to gain control over AMSTAR itself, either militarily, economically, diplomatically, culturally, or technologically.

Notes on Demographics:
Islam has never spread in this world beyond Arabia. The main religious division, at this time, is east-west within Christianity. There is a Western, Roman church, headed by the Arch-Bishop of Rome (The Pope) and an Eastern, Jerusalem based church, headed by the Arch-Bishop of Jerusalem (The Pope). The two Popes do not like each other very much. The dividing line is Hungary and Poland, with both of them being eastern, while Germany and Venice are Western.

MNBP - May Not Be Playable

Portugal
Tours-Poitiers - MNBP
Orleans - MNBP
Limoges-Vichy - MNBP
Lorraine - MNBP
Geneva-Dijon - MNBP
Sweden - MNBP
Venice - MNBP
Milan - MNBP
Tuscany - MNBP
The Papal State (Rome) - Roman Catholic - MNBP
The Papal State (Jerusalem) - Eastern Orthodox - MNBP
Iraq - MNBP
Kurdistan
Turkey
Ireland - MNBP
Scotland
Castile
Ukraine
Kazan - MNBP
Naples (the Two Sicilies)

Berbery. This nation includes Morocco, Algeria, and the southern part of Spain. They are ethnically Berber and Roman Catholic. The part of Berbery in Spain, however, has a majority Iberian population, but a very strong minority (over 1/3rd) of them are Berber, as they've settled here over the centuries.

Egypt. Ethnically Egyptian, this nation also includes Libya. They follow the Eastern church. Egypt and Berbery do not get along very well.

Tunisia. - MNBP. This nation was set up by AMSTAR due to endless fights between Egypt and Berbery. Its population is half Berber and half Egyptian. Over time it has grown to become a home for 'misfits' from both nations, religiously. The population is 30% Western (Roman) Berber, but 20% Eastern Berber. 30% Eastern Egyptian, and 20% Western Egyptian. This strange mix of east and west is found only here, and citizens of this buffer state have grown to love their brand of Liberalism.

Troika or The Triumvirate. - This is a union of three crowns, Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Georgia. Three kings rule the nation, and have done so for centuries. This united front has allowed this nation to expand beyond the greatest dreams of any individual member state.

The Khanate - This nation occupies the lower Volga basin, it is a Khanate ruled by a Khan. Demographically it is a hodgepodge of different ethnicities including Russian, Tartar, Ukrainian and even Persian. Religiously, it has a majority Eastern population, but a minority Buddhists, the only place within AMSTAR to have members of this sect.

Muscowy - This small republic occupies much of the land around Moscow. Not much to see here, this nation is often overlooked and ignored.

Finland - The Empire of Finland is ruled by a Keisari (think Tzar) It extends into northern Asia, and has within it a large portion of Siberia. It's population is an odd mix, due to it's lack of a significant European population base. Siberians make up a large portion of the population, and Fins, though a plurality, are not a majority thanks to the presence of Russians and Tartars.

Hungary - Not much of a story here. Hungary, despite its appearance, is one of the great powers of Europe. Sandwiched between the largest empires of AMSTAR, the Hungarians have become diplomatic wizards. They are a peaceful nation that excels at trade and diplomacy.

Poland - Also not much of a story. Poland, like Hungary, is a power known for something beyond it's military. Both Poland and Hungary, though Eastern, act as a buffer between West and East.

The Greek Empire - One of the superpowers of ASMTAR. The Greeks suffer severe stagnation at all levels, but are not in decline. Greece seems 'stuck' in it's old ways. Ethnically, Greece is uniformly Greek, partly thanks to the failure to arrive of Yugoslavs, Rumanians, and the like. There is a small Albanian community that over time has spread itself out over almost the entire nation. While they make up 10% of the population, it is extremely rare to find anyone with any power of money who is Albanian; this is a political issue for them.

Denmark - The Danish have been able to use colonization to spread their power. Denmark is one of the great Colonial powers. The base of Denmark, including Jutland and Norway, is demographically uniform and Western. Denmark also has it's own 'European Colony" in that it controls northern England.

Normandy - Another colonial power with a "European Colony" in England, this time Southern england.

Wales - The greatest independent power in the British Isles is Celtic, Wales has expanded into Cornwall, Strathclyde, Ulster, and Brittany. Despite the geographical diversity, all areas view themselves as sharing a common ethnicity and culture, with the only debate being weather to call themselves "Celtic" or "Welsh"

Occitania - One of the most advanced and civilized nations in the modern world, Occitania is an ethnically uniform nation that has strong colonial holdings. Occitania has the distinction of having been democratic, continuously, for longer than any other nation on earth.

Germany - Germany plays a central role in just about everything. The headquarters for AMSTAR are located in Weimar, a city within Germany. Germany might at first appear to be overwhelmingly strong, but the nation suffers from a de-centralized confederal government where provinces demand great power. The biggest struggle at this time is getting all of the provinces in line so that the natural wealth of Germany; Population, Economic, Military, can be focused enough to begin to truly dominate all of AMSTAR.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »

I want to play! My is:

The Greek Empire
 Egypt
Germany
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 06:07:27 PM »

1. Occitania
2. Normandy
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 06:29:56 PM »

1. Wales
2. Occitania
3. Germany

I would really, really want Wales.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 06:49:26 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2009, 06:51:02 PM by Emperor Awesome »

U - US Election Atlas
A - Atlernate History

8:00am U - Hashemite - Wales, Occitania, Germany, blank, blank
8:16am U - afleitch - Scotland, blank, blank, blank, blank
5:43pm U - Devilman88 - Greece, Egypt, Germany, blank, blank
7:07pm U - NiK - Occitania, Normandy, blank, blank, blank
10:45pm A - rubyug - Germany Occintia Denmark Greece Poland
10:55pm A - Yelnoc - Germany, Occitania, Denmark, Egypt, Berbery

Please remember to submit at least 5 preferences.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2009, 11:07:17 PM »

This is a preview of the real map, zoomed out quite a bit.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2009, 11:30:32 PM »

There will be maps of India and North America. There will not be a separate map for Siberia.
Devilman88

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 12:10:42 AM »

My other two: Finland, Occitania
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 12:22:47 AM »

Population Estimates (may change)

Portugal - 6M
Tours-Poitiers - 4M
Orleans - 4M
Limoges-Vichy - 4M
Lorraine - 4M
Geneva-Dijon - 5M
Sweden - 5M
Venice - 8M
Milan - 8M
Tuscany - 3M
The Papal State (Rome) - 5M
The Papal State (Jerusalem) - 5M
Iraq - 3M
Kurdistan - 7M
Turkey - 10M
Ireland - 4M
Scotland - 4M
Castile - 15M
Ukraine - 15M
Kazan - 15M
Naples (the Two Sicilies) - 10M (half on the minland)
Berbery - 15M (12 in n.af, 3 in spain)
Egypt - 15M
Tunisia - 2M
Troika - 15M
Khan - 15M
Muscowy - 15M
Finland - 25M (15 in europe, 10 in asia)
Hungary - 20M
Poland - 40M
Denmark - 25M (10 in Den/Nor, 15 in England)
Normandy - 25M (10 in Fra, 15 in England)
Greece - 50M (10 in asia)
Wales - 12M (5 in wal, 2 in Ulst, 1 in Strath, 2 in Corn, 4 in Brit)
Occitania - 40M
Germany - 100M
Persia and India - 120M (20m persians...)
Total in North America - 5M

AMSTAR - 683 million people.

Africa - 150M (Mostly colonized by china)
China - 250M
Asian Colonies of China - 95M
Americas - 50M (United under one native empire, allied to China)
Arabia - 5M

NON AMSTAR - 550M

POPULATION OF EARTH - 1.23 Billion

---

More will be posted on this later, but in short, technology levels are between 1914-1945, with some technologies being very developed (Rocketry) and others being very under-developed (Aircraft)

Also, note that resources on this 'earth' are not always going to be in the same place as they are in the real world. One example is Oil, there is a large pocket of oil in western Europe, somewhere, if you can find it Wink In general, however, things are found where they are in the real world. This was done to re balance the game due to certain resources not being available in certain areas, and to prevent me from having to research, for example, exact Iron Ore output levels for each province of each European country in each year from 1914-1945.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 01:14:11 AM »
« Edited: October 21, 2009, 01:50:03 AM by Emperor Awesome »

Level of Techs...

Most everything is at 1945 level technology, with the following exceptions:

Tanks - 1925
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_(1919%E2%80%931939)

Aircraft - 1914
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_in_World_War_I

These two specifically will result in wars that are far more "WW1like" than "WW2like"

I may add other things to this list with time.

Also note that nations, just as in real life have different levels of technology. Just because Occitania can build 1914 style aircraft does not mean that Kazan can. Finland, in particular, has rockets that she can fire, they are not very accurate and hence are best used for exploding cities; no other nation has developed the technology to match this however, but some (Poland, Hungary, Germany, Occitania, Greece) are close. Turkey has some of the most advanced tanks in the world, but they have a specialized military that focuses on defense; this is one reason that Greece has not 'just annexed them by now'.

-----------------------

Persia -
Persia is a special case.
Persia has colonized India. Without Islam, Persia is not Muslim. Persia, rather, has it's own brand of Christianity that is similar to the Eastern system. India is 100% Hindu. Within Persia (and Persia includes all of the Indian subcontinent) there are 120 million people. The problem? only 20 million of them are Persian.
Persia has not treated it's Indian citizens the best. For decades they were used and abused as slaves. This resulted in them being moves, sometimes forcefully, into the land we today call Iran. "Iran" itself is almost half Indian, with more in the eastern part and less in the western part.
There are a number of Tartars and Turks in central asia, but there are also millions of Indians here. India, of course, is full of Indians, but is run by a small minority of Persians.
India has decided enough is enough and has started to rebel. Unlike when India did this to Britain, there is no 'pulling out'. All of Persia, including the 'Iran' homeland, is looked at as part of "India". Persia is therefore fighting for it's survival. What's holding it together? The disorganization of the opposition. There is no single "Indian Government" opposing them, but rather many 'princes' each fighting in their own local area. The down side of this is that other nations in AMSTAR have used this chaos to set up their own 'colonies' in India. The situation is chaotic at the moment.

The world outside AMSTAR
China has become the single greatest nation outside of AMSTAR. Their hold over the rest of the world is not something that we would necessarily recognize today. China has spread its culture, belief system, and values to all corners of the globe. They have effective control over all of Asia, and Africa as well, despite the fact that they have no "Colonies" in the area. Rather, they treat their new allies as equals, whom only need to be thought how to "Think Chinese" to be successful. The only other truly large empire out there is a native american empire centered in the Aztec area. They too, however, also bow towards China.
With its amazing resources, China is the only source for trade outside AMSTAR. China has everything that anyone could ever need, and is quite willing to sell them for a price; a very high price. Nations in AMSTAR that cannot find all the resources they require do not need to let their citizens go without, rather they can purchase the good from China. These goods are always set at a 'maximum' price, and there is little trade without such emergency situations. China will also buy goods at a very cheap 'minimum' price.

Arabia
The only truly independent country outside AMASTAR, Arabia is mostly a mystery. The border between AMSTAR and Arabia is made up of a series of large Berms (A large wall that is a sand hill) stretching from coast to coast. What is known is that in general, no one ever comes out of Arabia, and those who have gone in have quite often never been heard from again. Limited reconnaissance from the air has confirmed what little we do know. The Arabs are a very peaceful people with one another, but will kill outsiders on sight. They live without material wealth, and spend most of their time praying towards their belief in God. After signs that Arabs were becoming aggravated by incursions from aircraft, AMSTAR issued it's strongest law yet; that any nation sending any person or thing into Arabia is to be removed from AMSTAR itself. This is an effective death sentence for nations, and no nation; or more specifically, the public of no nation is willing to accept this.

Turkey
Perhaps one of the more unique bi-lateral relations is between Turkey and Greece. Turkey is much smaller, and nearly surrounded by Greece, but the Greeks have failed to annex them. The turks are masters of defense, and have a military that is rumored to be unbeatable in a defensive battle. Despite this strength, the Turks have also proven incompetent at offensive strategy. This has lead to a situation where both Greece and Turkey, while remaining on bad terms, have accepted on another's existence.

France and Italy
10 small nations exist in France and Italy. These are some of the smallest and weakest nations in all of AMSTAR. None of them is particularly noteworthy for any real reason, and most of them are 'left alone'

England
England is a region of the British Isles. It is split between Denmark and Normandy. Despite the control that both have over the area, the majority of citizens identify as 'English'. England is often called the only European Colony. Generally accepting of outside events and the outside world, there have been rumblings of discontent within the English, and there are many who wish to have their own nation.

Egypt
One of the most notable features of Egypt is the Suez Canal. Egypt controls this waterway has been known to close it to vessels from certain nations, if not all nations. Egypt charges a toll for passage, and this generates income for them. With increasing difficulties in India, more and more nations are requesting passage through this waterway.

So, which nations are the real powers of this world?

Germany and Greece are known as the top two.
Persia, Finland and Occitania are most often in the next tier.
Poland, Hungary, Egypt, and Berbery round out the top 9.
Normandy, Denmark, Wales, Troika, and even Naples are sometimes looked at as influential nations.
Castile, Portugal, Ireland, and Scotland also make lists often as they all have a colonial presence.

I recommend you pick one of these 18 nations.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 04:38:23 AM »

1. Turkey
2. Persia
3. Muscowy
4. Tours-Poitiers
5. Denmark
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 12:37:34 AM »

Hungary
Germany
Troika
Greece
Finland
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 06:35:36 AM »

Is that a Northumbria I see or a Danelaw? Either way, I would be interested...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies