Boris Johnson in trouble over Spectator editorial
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:15:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Boris Johnson in trouble over Spectator editorial
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boris Johnson in trouble over Spectator editorial  (Read 2754 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2004, 05:53:40 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3748504.stm

He's apologised for the editorial, but his fate on the Tory front-bench may decide whether the people of Liverpool do what they did with The Sun after Hillsborough.
Tory

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 09:13:36 AM »

There was certainly too much of a fuss over the article. I didn't agree with all that was written, but none of it was terrible.

He makes the excellent point that Bigley went to Iraq on his own, which just makes his brother's comments about blood on the PM's hands stupid at best.

Liverpool is a city of victims(What do you expect with all the Irish there?). If they weren't they wouldn't be whining about the article.

Finally, there is no way Johnson is losing his spot as shadow minister for culture that's for sure. The Conservatives need him.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 09:51:09 AM »

... to crawl back under the rock from whence he came.

Hopefully they deselect the buffoon, but unfortunately that won't happen.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 12:04:07 PM »

He makes the excellent point that Bigley went to Iraq on his own, which just makes his brother's comments about blood on the PM's hands stupid at best.
Who's his brother?
Tory

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 12:06:08 PM »

Who's his brother?

Paul Bigley, the man who helped his brother actually make the decision to go to Iraq and seek his fortune at the expense of his safety.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 12:07:22 PM »

Who's his brother?

Paul Bigley, the man who helped his brother actually make the decision to go to Iraq and seek his fortune at the expense of his safety.
Oh. It sounded like you were referring to Johnson's brother. That woulda started to sound nonboring...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 02:27:12 PM »

While the media coverage of the whole hostage thing was waaaaaay over the top, nationalist (note that the two Americans that were killed earlier got sod all media coverage) and maudlin, simply blaming Liverpool and Liverpudlians isn't fair. They've been through hell over the past 30 odd years (whatwith a corrupt "Liberal" council getting toppled in favour of a Militant Ridden Loony Leftist "Labour" council (also very corrupt) which was then toppled in favour of a very corrupt "Liberal Democrat" council... all three had/have all the adminstrative skills of a dead budgie... oh and then there's Thatcherism... Liverpool used to elect Tory M.P on a regular basis y'know... not after the '80's...) and that the last thing they need is some Tory Toff representing some Toff-ridden home counties seat, who can't even be bothered to get his facts straight over the Hillsborough disaster and writing in a magazine (which he edits) that used it's snobbish image as an advertising tool, slagging them off like that.

Having a go at the ghoulish media coverage (which is based in LONDON not Liverpool) is fine, sneering at a whole City like that isn't.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2004, 02:27:01 AM »

Liverpool is a city of victims(What do you expect with all the Irish there?). If they weren't they wouldn't be whining about the article.

Good example of why I would not be a Tory if I lived in the U.K.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 11:02:53 AM »

True. You don't insult the entire population of Liverpool. The Sun did with their Hillsborough coverage and are still boycotted there today.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 01:20:02 PM »

... to crawl back under the rock from whence he came.

Hopefully they deselect the buffoon, but unfortunately that won't happen.

He's not a buffoon, the is very clever, I believe he has a degree from either Oxford or Cambridge, I forget which. He is also very popular with younger generations which is why it won't happen, no one else in the Conservatives can appeal to them.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2004, 02:08:04 PM »

/Runs to Tory website

/Looks up Boris Johnson's biography

/Runs away quickly

http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=people.person.page&personID=4863

He went to Eton and Oxford (Baillol College to be precise, where Asquith went). He was President of the Oxford Union, which is a virtual guarantee of high office.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2004, 02:18:42 PM »

He went to Eton and Oxford (Baillol College to be precise, where Asquith went). He was President of the Oxford Union, which is a virtual guarantee of high office.

His daddy got him there
Tory

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 02:26:18 PM »

The Irish comment?

I don't know how it is there but here everytime something bad happens to an Irishman he blames it on the English. To call them whiners is the most extreme of understatements.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 10:14:07 AM »

He's a buffoon.  Only a buffoon would make such comments.

There are those who suffer fools, and those who will suffer them gladly, yours truly doesn't suffer them at all!

Dave
Tory

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 01:52:37 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2004, 01:57:16 PM by Tory »

The Irish comment?

I don't know how it is there but here everytime something bad happens to an Irishman he blames it on the English. To call them whiners is the most extreme of understatements.

Well please do give examples

Friend of mine, James, is from Ireland. Whenever someone makes a comment about something bad in Ireland his immediate response is "Well what do you expect, we had to suffer through 800 years of English rule". That is probably the most widely used phrase in the Irishman's vocabulary.

Whenever I go to Ireland(I've been there seven times), every single time I have about five people comment to me how terrible England is, and how awful the English were to the Irish.

There are your examples.
Mr. Pink
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 02:12:11 PM »

The Irish comment?

Well please do give examples

Friend of mine, James, is from Ireland. Whenever someone makes a comment about something bad in Ireland his immediate response is "Well what do you expect, we had to suffer through 800 years of English rule". That is probably the most widely used phrase in the Irishman's vocabulary.

Whenever I go to Ireland(I've been there seven times), every single time I have about five people comment to me how terrible England is, and how awful the English were to the Irish.

There are your examples.

Yes, that probably is the most used phrase among us. It isn't really literal though, and shouldn't be taken as such. So it doesn't mean we are all complainers, we just like to make excuses Wink.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies