Outsourcing Jobs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:08:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Outsourcing Jobs
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Outsourcing Jobs  (Read 1081 times)
Cessna
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2004, 12:14:20 PM »
« edited: October 16, 2004, 12:37:32 PM by Cessna »

There is a lot of talk about outsourcing jobs, and Kerry whines about how Bush is outsourcing jobs.

How many companies does Kerry's wife own, where are they located, and how many Americans are working in the jobs?

Are any of their slots outsourced?  It's to my understanding that they are not Kerry's companies, but still, his wife/family is representing him in a public office, so whatever they do will affect the outcome of how people view him.

I'm only going by what I've heard so I'm not claiming any facts at all.  Can anyone post some actual statistics on how many jobs Kerry's family has, what country they are in, and how many Americans are in the jobs?

Also, how many H1B visas do they sponsor?

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 12:52:47 PM »

Neither Bush nor Kerry answered the question about what Americans should do about job loss due to outsourcing.

Both of them said education was the answer.

Let me shed some light on the subject.  Information Technology jobs are being outsourced to India, and other countries.  Americans are losing their jobs to foreigners because of the tax breaks and special privileges corporations get by hiring foreigners.  A foreign programmer will work between $5 - 15 per hour, where an American programmer can get between $19 - 175+ per hour depending on their skills.

The majority of our American programmers hold college degrees, and some multiple degrees.  Education is NOT the problem.

One problem with our IT workforce is overeducation. In the 1960's and '70's the technology was new and most of the work was on new hardware and software with a large R&D investment. That was as true for "garage" tech firms as it was for established large firms.

The PC breakthrough in the 1980's allowed for automation of many thinking tasks, much like the industrial revolution mechanized manual tasks over 100 years before. Among those tasks that could be fully or partially automated included programming and help center diagnostics. By the 1990's this automation of software allowed those tasks to be done by less skilled workers.

A highly educated programmer, should not, and does not expect to do routine programming or customer support. They should be developing new ideas, and providing customization support. This is no different than expecting a highly trained mechanical engineer to work on the assembly line.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies