"I made it very plain we will not have an all-volunteer army" - GW Bush today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:16:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  "I made it very plain we will not have an all-volunteer army" - GW Bush today
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: "I made it very plain we will not have an all-volunteer army" - GW Bush today  (Read 11007 times)
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2004, 11:58:33 AM »

Indeed. This sort of thing is low indeed. Remember the draftee of said draft is a Democrat.

What is pressuring the USA to consider a draft?

Lack of volunteer enlistment?

Enlistment is still strong, especially for the AF, CG and Navy.  The only area having trouble is the NG and Reserves, but they are no where near critical levels.

Can the U.S. military put two more divisions in Iraq with the current manpower? Can the U.S. military take military action against Syria, Iran or N. Korea with the current manpower levels and the requirements of occupying Iraq?

In order:

yes, but the military is not asking for it.
Yes
Yes
No.  The plan for N. Korea would require more manpower.
CollectiveInterest

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2004, 12:06:11 PM »

If the primary tool in the box of preventing nuclear proliferation is unilateral invasion, wasn't it a screw-up to invade Iraq (a country w/o nuclear weapons) if it keeps the US military from being able to invade countries that do have nuclear weapons, like N. Korea?

Can Bush supporters acknowledge the inconsistencies in Bush's strategic vision?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2004, 01:05:06 PM »

If the primary tool in the box of preventing nuclear proliferation is unilateral invasion, wasn't it a screw-up to invade Iraq (a country w/o nuclear weapons) if it keeps the US military from being able to invade countries that do have nuclear weapons, like N. Korea?

Brilliant, Collective Interest.  Put 37,000 troops about 15 miles ouside of a country making nuclear weapons. 

Move them back and allow an effective land-air war to take care of an invasion.  We're not fighting with fixed bayonettes anymore.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2004, 01:45:56 PM »

Brilliant, Collective Interest.  Put 37,000 troops about 15 miles ouside of a country making nuclear weapons. 

Move them back and allow an effective land-air war to take care of an invasion.  We're not fighting with fixed bayonettes anymore.

Please explain the point you are trying to make.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2004, 01:55:33 PM »

I'm suggesting that you are not[b/i] facing a country where the threat is going to be met a mass of ground troops.  We will not be restaging WWI.

The way to deal with a North Korean threat will be more technologically advance force, not a lot of people in uniforms. 

The problem with putting in a lot of ground troops is that putting more at rik if the NK uses nuclear weapons.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2004, 02:02:32 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2004, 02:05:18 PM by Governor Wildcard »

Okay lets say we invaded N.Korea instead.... Now we would have needed many, many more troops to fight an enemy with a well trained army.

Then let's say at the end we actually won! But, right next door China is feeling very uncomfortable with a strong American presants right next to them. Plus they see it as a perfect chance to expand their empire because the American's are completely over stretched. China invades N.Korea. WWIII might just have been triggered.

That is why I would not attack North Korea.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2004, 02:06:06 PM »

Okay lets say we invaded N.Korea instead.... Now we would have needed many, many more troops to fight an enemy with a well trained army.

Then let's say at the end we actually won! But, right next door China is feeling very uncomfortable with a strong American presants right next door China invades N.Korea. WWIII might just have been triggered.

I frankly don't believe this being proposed by any candidate?
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2004, 02:15:22 PM »

The way to deal with a North Korean threat will be more technologically advance force, not a lot of people in uniforms. 

What happens after the North Korean military is broken through air power?

Did you pay attention to "shock and awe" and the Iraq War?
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2004, 02:18:48 PM »

Then let's say at the end we actually won! But, right next door China is feeling very uncomfortable with a strong American presants right next to them. Plus they see it as a perfect chance to expand their empire because the American's are completely over stretched. China invades N.Korea. WWIII might just have been triggered.

I'm not advocating invading N. Korea to deal with its nuclear weapons program.

I am drawing attention to the fact that Bush invading Iraq (a country w/o nuclear weapons) has put the USA in a weaker situation to deal countries that do have nuclear weapons or nuclear programs that have the potential to build nuclear weapons.

So Bush has made negative progress on this issue which he says is the most important foreign policy challenge.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2004, 02:31:47 PM »

What happens after the North Korean military is broken through air power?

Did you pay attention to "shock and awe" and the Iraq War?

You misunderstand, badly.  The troops which in S. Korea are defensive, not offensive.  This has acually been the policy since Carter, and I suspect since Eisenhower.  The idea is to use the land-air war concept against an attack from North Korea.

The only bpeople talking about invading North Korea are some of the Democrats that post here.  I can't even blame Kerry for this.
zachman

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2004, 02:35:38 PM »

Use Iran as your arguing point not North Korea.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2004, 02:43:50 PM »

Collective Interest,

As far as the "inconsistancies" you were talking about I don't think there are many. U.K. our own intelligence as well as that of many other countries said Iraq had or was trying to make weapons. They kicked inspectors out. Resolution after resolution was past with no action taken by Saddam or the U.N.. We made an example of Saddam and today Libya as well as Iraq are no longer nuclear threats.

As far as Iran and N.Korea those countries are a great deal harder to invade. Korea because of it's well trained army and the fact that China would be very angry if we were right next door and Iran because of the terrain. So it makes sense that we are using different tactics when it comes to dealing with them.

J.J.,

No candidate has said they will invade N.Korea.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2004, 02:52:48 PM »

When Bush ordered the invasion Iraq had offered to allow inspections and Bush rebuffed the offer.

Did Bush make a mistake?
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2004, 02:54:53 PM »

As far as Iran and N.Korea those countries are a great deal harder to invade. Korea because of it's well trained army and the fact that China would be very angry if we were right next door and Iran because of the terrain. So it makes sense that we are using different tactics when it comes to dealing with them.

So invading countries willy-nilly isn't an effective way to deal with the proliferation of nuclear weapons?

By invading Iraq and being wrong on Iraq's WMD programs did Bush make it more or less likely countries would cooperate with the USA in dealing with N. Korea or Iran?
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2004, 02:58:30 PM »

*shrug* simple gaffe whose only purpose will be for us Dems to use it as a joke once in a while.  Like the Bush being wired thing
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2004, 03:01:13 PM »

*shrug* simple gaffe whose only purpose will be for us Dems to use it as a joke once in a while.  Like the Bush being wired thing

The gaffe was a joke; the draft isn't.

And Bush's claim that he's the candidate that will make a draft less likely is an outright lie.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2004, 03:03:47 PM »

The gaffe was a joke; the draft isn't.

And Bush's claim that he's the candidate that will make a draft less likely is an outright lie.

The draft is extremely unlikely.  Even I as an extremely partisan Democrat can say that.  All in all, I am very wary of Kerry using the draft in his political rhetoric, it stinks of fear mongering.  It seems far too much like Bush's use of terrorism in the campaign.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2004, 03:08:56 PM »

The draft is extremely unlikely.  Even I as an extremely partisan Democrat can say that.  All in all, I am very wary of Kerry using the draft in his political rhetoric, it stinks of fear mongering.  It seems far too much like Bush's use of terrorism in the campaign.

Have Bush's policies made a draft more likely?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2004, 03:11:47 PM »

No
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2004, 03:21:03 PM »

Indeed. This sort of thing is low indeed. Remember the draftee of said draft is a Democrat.

What is pressuring the USA to consider a draft?

Lack of volunteer enlistment?

Enlistment is still strong, especially for the AF, CG and Navy.  The only area having trouble is the NG and Reserves, but they are no where near critical levels.

Can the U.S. military put two more divisions in Iraq with the current manpower? Can the U.S. military take military action against Syria, Iran or N. Korea with the current manpower levels and the requirements of occupying Iraq?

In order:

yes, but the military is not asking for it.
Yes
Yes
No.  The plan for N. Korea would require more manpower.

These countries haven't been weakened by sanctions. Iran in particular would require a draft. Syria would stretch our army to the breaking point, and would likely require a draft.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2004, 03:27:28 PM »

We're not invading either of those countries.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2004, 03:34:34 PM »

Philip, are you considering enlisting or applying for an ROTC scholarship?
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2004, 03:35:44 PM »

We're not invading either of those countries.

Are you saying invasion is not an effective strategy for dealing with nuclear weapons proliferation?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2004, 03:41:25 PM »

No, I'm saying we're not invading either of those two countries
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2004, 03:49:11 PM »

No, I'm saying we're not invading either of those two countries

Is invading countries a viable non-proliferation strategy? When should it be used?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies