Opinion of Bob Prechter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:35:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Opinion of Bob Prechter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 1

Author Topic: Opinion of Bob Prechter  (Read 929 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2009, 07:54:02 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Prechter
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 07:59:46 AM »

A more outrageous pseudoscientist.

Though in saying that the principle behind what he calls "socionomics" is correct. But the actual substance of it seems completely off (humans are cyclical, really?).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:11:05 PM »

Prechter is an interesting guy, imo, but often too ham-handed and doctrinaire in his studies.  So probably neutral.  That would, of course, explain why he's been wrong a lot over the last 25 years.  But very right over the past couple.

I personally believe any person who wishes to invest in the capital markets must have at least a basic understanding of Elliott Wave theory.  And he is really the king of that - the developments he made there are probably his greatest contribution.

Over the last 6-12 months or so, I've really been refining my (previously lax) study in technical analysis, including Elliott Wave, and have been using it (to my improvement) in analyzing any number of things long-term, whether market-related, or more apropos to this site, polling.  It has helped a lot in the latter - can almost see the trends before they develop.

Anyway, he is definitely one of those people more bearish than me long-term on the state of things (though I don't deny his prediction could happen).  Though I can understand why - pretty much all of the technical analysis I do (in addition to the economic fundamentals) still says there is, at minimum, another wave down.

I'm not surprised Gully refers to him as a pseudoscientist.  Plenty of people call technical analysis a pseudoscience of sorts anyway.  Smiley
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »

I think I must have subconsciously made this thread just for you Sam.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »

I think I must have subconsciously made this thread just for you Sam.

Maybe you did.  Smiley  Just no "Opinion of Charles Dow" threads in the future.

Btw, good call on the McDonnell-Deeds numbers a couple of months.  I personally believe that the call is close to where we'll end up being.

I would find it fascinating if the margins in McDonnell 2009 mirrored Allen 1993 and Gilmore 1997 (roughly) the way the margins in Warner 2001 and Kaine 2005 mirrored each other.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies