What if Hindenburg had never been elected President of Germany (1925)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:34:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What if Hindenburg had never been elected President of Germany (1925)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if Hindenburg had never been elected President of Germany (1925)?  (Read 3132 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:54:40 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_presidential_election,_1925

Suppose Hindenburg does not run and Wilhelm Marx def. Karl Jarres. Or conversely, Hindenburg runs but Ernst Thalmann drops out, and Wilhelm Marx def. Hindenburg. How does history change?

I think it depends on whether the SPD and Catholic Center are able to unite in the 1932 Presidential election 2nd round, perhaps behind Heinrich Brüning.
Hans-im-Glück
Franken
Junior Chimp
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -5.94, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 01:32:04 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_presidential_election,_1925

Suppose Hindenburg does not run and Wilhelm Marx def. Karl Jarres. Or conversely, Hindenburg runs but Ernst Thalmann drops out, and Wilhelm Marx def. Hindenburg. How does history change?

I think it depends on whether the SPD and Catholic Center are able to unite in the 1932 Presidential election 2nd round, perhaps behind Heinrich Brüning.

Nobody can know what happen then. Marx as president would stabilize the Democracy, but 1929 the economy collapse so or so and who would be the winner 1932? I don't know, because with Marx as President the far-right have one enemy and they are in the 20ies more united than in the real time. The conservatives and the nationalits don't want the Republic and they would fight against it. Maybe the rise of Hitler were not so big, but in the 30ies Germany collapse and it come an authoritarian regime.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 09:12:12 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=74228.0

I did a bit of speculation on this subject, but I realized that it's nearly impossible to do any sort of Weimar-related alternate history.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 03:54:40 AM »

Impossible to tell. Thälmann wouldn't have dropped out no matter what, btw.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:21:30 PM »

Possibly no Nazi Germany, no Holocaust, and no WWII, and thus a much better (though perhaps less technologically advanced) world, since technology would probably develop at a somewhat slower rate (at least for a time) without WWII.
rob in cal
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »

I've wondered about the 1925 election in terms of what would have happened if Germany had a proper runoff law where only the top two candidates advance into the last round. If this was the case, Thaelmann wouldn't have been in the second round, and while many communists would have boycotted, many would have supported Braun. (In my scenario only first round candidates go on to the second round).  Of course even if Jarres is elected, he would have been less likely to appoint Hitler in 1933 (assuming he's reelected in 1932).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies