Assuming Hoffman wins in NY-23- NY-23 will be eliminated in redistricting. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:53:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Assuming Hoffman wins in NY-23- NY-23 will be eliminated in redistricting. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Assuming Hoffman wins in NY-23- NY-23 will be eliminated in redistricting.  (Read 6510 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: October 31, 2009, 07:29:59 PM »

I've never thought about this, but who actually controls which individual district/representative is booted out when a state loses representation?

NY uses an advisory commission appointed by the legislature, but in the end the vote on a specific plan is by the legislature. The Gov in NY has the ability to veto a plan from the legislature.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2009, 07:40:00 PM by muon2 »

I've never thought about this, but who actually controls which individual district/representative is booted out when a state loses representation?

it changes state by state, some states have gerrymanders and some states have incumbent protection systems.

Typically the worst gerrymanders occur when one side [state legislature, usually] gerrymanders it and then loses power by the next decade and the otherside gerrymanders it back further.

In this case, New York's redistricting is going to be controlled by Democrats who will be trying their damnedest to eliminate either NY-23 or King's district in Long Island [much harder].  The Democrats really don't technically lose too much in the long-term by losing NY-23, it's mostly just symbolic and kinda funny how bad the GOP is in the Northeast.

and if your state is trying to protect majority-minority districts, you can even get an odd coalition of African-American Democrats and Republicans, or Democrats doing stuff like this to fellow Democrats Smiley

Interestingly, IL-4 was legitimately created in 1991 to be the state's first Hispanic district. In order to preserve three black-majority districts the district had to connect by a thread around the the western end of IL-7.

In 2001 the district was maintained as a case of incumbent protection. The district survived court challege on the incumbency factor and was not considered a gerrymander based solely on race.

A critical question for 2011 will be whether to split the district into NW and SW pieces and create two 60% Hispanic districts in place of one 75% Hispanic district.

PS. It would sure help if nkpatel posted maps to go with these threads. I have serious questions about population and contiguity, but can't really tell from the description alone.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »

PS. It would sure help if nkpatel posted maps to go with these threads. I have serious questions about population and contiguity, but can't really tell from the description alone.

Feel free to ask nkpatel any question you like, but you might find a more worthwhile activity in conversing with a deaf-blind-mute through a brick wall.

I've noticed that nkpatel never directly responds. However, I did point out an error in one of his posts and when the post was reiterated it was changed to reflect what I had said. I would conclude that replies are read, so I can always hope that this one is as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies