NYC 2009 Mayoral Race OFFICIAL RESULTS THREAD: INTERESTING NEWS TO REPORT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:03:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC 2009 Mayoral Race OFFICIAL RESULTS THREAD: INTERESTING NEWS TO REPORT
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: NYC 2009 Mayoral Race OFFICIAL RESULTS THREAD: INTERESTING NEWS TO REPORT  (Read 14984 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2009, 12:05:41 AM »

Nice map Al.  Quick glance is that is pretty much a racial map of NYC.

With a few odd exceptions (or what look like odd exceptions), yeah. I might do a proper analysis thing tomorrow.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2009, 12:21:02 AM »

Summary of the City Council results... laughably lopsided, so why bother. But five Republicans now, three of them from Queens; 20 and 19 were both gained. Republican challengers in 30 and 43 were beaten easily, though.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2009, 12:30:06 AM »

Summary of the City Council results... laughably lopsided, so why bother. But five Republicans now, three of them from Queens; 20 and 19 were both gained. Republican challengers in 30 and 43 were beaten easily, though.

Heh, missed 19.  Good catch.  That's Tony Avella's seat (who challenged Thompson for Mayor).  Ognibene wasn't going to win (old news) and Gentile is quite competent, Italian and thus entrenched for that area.  Besides, his challenger got absolutely destroyed in the Assembly seat election last year.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2009, 02:12:30 AM »

At least Bloomberg was given hell for this win.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2009, 02:35:38 AM »

Map!

59 is a surprise. And, yeah, Hispanic areas swung the wrong way.

matches up pretty much right on the mark. 

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2009, 03:02:31 AM »

At least Bloomberg was given hell for this win.

Indeed, kudos to all New Yorkers who voted against four more years for Bloomberg.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2009, 04:20:11 AM »

NYC Exit Poll:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/11/04/nyregion/1104-ny-exit-poll.html
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2009, 04:23:09 AM »

Thompson supposedly won males? Amusing.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #83 on: November 04, 2009, 07:03:08 AM »

What's interesting is that the polarisation seems a little less than in some past races - Staten Island certainly seems to have been less overwhelming in its support for Bloomberg than it has been in the past or than it was for Giuliani. I wonder whether Bloomberg changing the rules might have something to do with that.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #84 on: November 04, 2009, 07:09:30 AM »

I know this isn't a popular view to hold right now.....but I'm happy it worked out in the end.

Although congrats to Thompson for making it close.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2009, 07:23:17 AM »

What's interesting is that the polarisation seems a little less than in some past races - Staten Island certainly seems to have been less overwhelming in its support for Bloomberg than it has been in the past or than it was for Giuliani. I wonder whether Bloomberg changing the rules might have something to do with that.

Yeah, just from a quick browse it looks like Bloomberg lost some Hispanic support.  Also as you stated there was less polarization as a whole.  The general sense I got around here was fatigue.  No one  really seemed excited to vote for Bloomberg- it was more that they didnt trust Thompson.  That sentiment usually doesnt bring the landslide #'s.   Bloomberg changing the rules did have a negative impact and especially with democrats who would normally be apt vote for him. 
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2009, 08:09:10 AM »

Apparently the Republican who picked up the open Avella seat is a "pagan".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2009, 09:14:10 AM »
« Edited: November 04, 2009, 09:15:44 AM by Is Steve Earle a racist? »

See signature.

Although, isn't that an isolated Black-majority census tract in the former Hell's Kitchen, or at least quite near it? What's up with that tract?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2009, 11:18:10 AM »

Yeah, just from a quick browse it looks like Bloomberg lost some Hispanic support.  Also as you stated there was less polarization as a whole.  The general sense I got around here was fatigue.  No one  really seemed excited to vote for Bloomberg- it was more that they didnt trust Thompson.  That sentiment usually doesnt bring the landslide #'s.   Bloomberg changing the rules did have a negative impact and especially with democrats who would normally be apt vote for him. 

Thompson was a godawful candidate, completely incompetent - I watched the debates and know his record.  That being said, I voted for him because Bloomberg needed to be taught a lesson.  A competent Dem candidate (say Anthony Weiner) would have beaten Bloomberg, no matter whether Bloomberg spent $1 or $1 billion.  Of course, Weiner was not smart enough to realize this.

I didn't realize that the City Council District 19 race was this race.  This race was hilarious - read these articles:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election_2009/2009/11/02/2009-11-02_antisemitism_charges_hurled_in_council_race.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election_2009/2009/10/27/2009-10-27_race_furor_over_campaign_ads_dems_say_gop_flyers_aimed_at_scaring_whites.html
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »

I lowballed it, the NYT says Bloomberg may have spent as much as $252 per vote with Thompson around $15 per vote.

Great point on Weiner.  He would have been able to raise far more money than Thompson too.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2009, 03:54:06 PM »

Part one of a very basic demographic analysis that I've done elsewhere:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The majority-white-in-2000 districts that voted for Thompson are 50 and 59 - both by very small margins.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2009, 08:11:05 PM »

Part two...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The third (and probably final) part will look at patterns relating to ethnicity.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2009, 08:39:07 PM »

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.), who mulled a race against Bloomberg, noted Obama’s multiple trips on behalf of Corzine and wondered if they could have been better spent in New York.

To this, a White House official shot back: “Maybe Anthony Weiner should have manned-up and run against Michael Bloomberg.”

But Weiner also said the failure wasn’t just Obama’s, but rather represented an indictment of a wider Democratic establishment that could have helped turn an apparently winnable race.

“The sad truth is that we had no effective state party help,” he said. “It’s worth remembering that four years ago, [Democratic strategist and Bloomberg adviser] Howard Wolfson was on the party payroll to help out. This year, they were invisible.”

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2009, 09:04:41 PM »

Will the fact that Bloomberg was certainly not elected by a mandate affect the next four years?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2009, 09:06:44 PM »

Nice analysis Al.  In 59 Im thinking Canarsie portion of the district turned out more than the other parts (Mill Basin, Gerritsen) I'm not sure if this also played a factor but Bloomberg did announce the closure of several underperforming high schools in the area.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »

Bloomberg bought the Mayoralty.

If he didn't have unlimited resources behind him, I doubt he would have won again.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2009, 04:43:03 AM »

If he didn't have unlimited resources behind him, I doubt he would have won again.

Amusing that a Mitt Romney fan would complain about a different candidate spending money from his own fortune.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2009, 04:53:09 AM »

Amusing that a Mitt Romney fan would complain about a different candidate spending money from his own fortune.

In his defense,  it's probably a lot more justified to spend $30 million out of your own money to introduce yourself to an electorate, and probably the only way an outsider candidate can beat an institutional candidate that's already well-known.

Pretty sad for a two-term incumbent to be spending $250 per vote though.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2009, 05:03:32 AM »

Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.), who mulled a race against Bloomberg, noted Obama’s multiple trips on behalf of Corzine and wondered if they could have been better spent in New York.

To this, a White House official shot back: “Maybe Anthony Weiner should have manned-up and run against Michael Bloomberg.”

But Weiner also said the failure wasn’t just Obama’s, but rather represented an indictment of a wider Democratic establishment that could have helped turn an apparently winnable race.

“The sad truth is that we had no effective state party help,” he said. “It’s worth remembering that four years ago, [Democratic strategist and Bloomberg adviser] Howard Wolfson was on the party payroll to help out. This year, they were invisible.”

Bastards.
By doing nothing they have made it easier for New York City to undergo four more years of King Bloomberg.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2009, 05:07:52 AM »

Bastards.
By doing nothing they have made it easier for New York City to undergo four more years of King Bloomberg.

Please,  I hate Bloomberg as a person but he is a decent administrator. This city sucked under the rule of un-skilled people like Thompson.  In bad economic times I do not want a failed bureaucrat running the city.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies