WTF: Productivity in Q3 Rise at 9.5%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:09:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  WTF: Productivity in Q3 Rise at 9.5%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WTF: Productivity in Q3 Rise at 9.5%  (Read 1969 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2009, 11:41:16 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 12:16:19 PM »

Like so many of the third quarter statistics, this is likely to be subsequently downwardly revised.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:12:29 PM »

Like so many of the third quarter statistics, this is likely to be subsequently downwardly revised.

Did you see how unemployment numbers were revised downwards for August and September? It's not all bad (although October's unemployment numbers were depressing).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 02:22:23 PM »

The economy is doing fine is some ways; just not the right ways.

Don't worry though, the Gipper tells us it'll trickle down eventually.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:56:50 PM »

Did you see how unemployment numbers were revised downwards for August and September? It's not all bad (although October's unemployment numbers were depressing).

Apparently you are unaware of the distinction between monthly numbers (such as the unemployment rate) and quarterly numbers (such as GDP).

While there have been problems with monthly unemployment numbers (mostly with the summer numbers), the third quarter numbers (such as GDP) have been seriously jiggered (I have posted specifics on other threads in this forum).

So, you are comparing apples to oranges.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 03:43:27 PM »

Is that supposed to be a joke?  Do you really think the Dow going to 10,000 is a leading indicator? 
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 05:45:48 PM »

Is that supposed to be a joke?  Do you really think the Dow going to 10,000 is a leading indicator? 

Productivity increases are though Tongue
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »

This will really dampen hiring enthusiasm for the future. I have a hard time seeing output growth exceeding these strong productivity numbers. Though its always a nice thing to see productivity in services picking up.

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 06:55:18 AM »

Productivity growth is always a good thing; however, it is precisely the problem with capitalism that this increase is always misallocated in a way which creates great and ever increasing instability.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 08:39:33 AM »

This will really dampen hiring enthusiasm for the future. I have a hard time seeing output growth exceeding these strong productivity numbers. Though its always a nice thing to see productivity in services picking up.

Here's what Business Week has to say:

http://www.businessweek.com/investor/content/nov2009/pi2009115_469402.htm?campaign_
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 05:15:26 AM »

The obvious solution to productivity growth is to shorten the work week - anything over 32 hours is obscene - and to hire hundreds of thousand at government 'make work' sinecures.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »

The obvious solution to productivity growth is to shorten the work week - anything over 32 hours is obscene - and to hire hundreds of thousand at government 'make work' sinecures.

This post made me smirk...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »

Perhaps I should have said - 'the obvious solution to lack of demand/overproduction caused by inequitably distributed productivity growth'.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »

Perhaps I should have said - 'the obvious solution to lack of demand/overproduction caused by inequitably distributed productivity growth'.

But people are already working 32 hours a week because of the recession.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2009, 11:59:11 PM »

"Productivity" in macro is, generally, a shorthand for "whatever we have no clue about".

It is, usually, defined as a "residual" left over once the inputs have been accounted for. In principle, it could be growing in recessions: if we fire inputs, presumably we start from the less efficient ones. However, overall, it is precisely what I said before: whatever we don't know.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 05:23:46 AM »

But the key is they are only being compensated for 32 hours.  The way we fix the economy is to have them work 32 hours but receive (at least) the same pay they used to get for 40 hours.  In this way we are effecting a redistribution (reducing theft and privilege).   If we just reduce hours AND pay, we accomplish nothing whatsoever.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 07:14:36 PM »

But the key is they are only being compensated for 32 hours.  The way we fix the economy is to have them work 32 hours but receive (at least) the same pay they used to get for 40 hours.  In this way we are effecting a redistribution (reducing theft and privilege).   If we just reduce hours AND pay, we accomplish nothing whatsoever.

I don't see the purpose really. What we need to do is try to effect both wage growth and job security over the long run to stablise the economy. But doing that isn't going to be easy and it may be impossible. Business Managment styles need to change and value there workers mores as there most precious of assets and focus on building them up for the long term benefit of the business and not tossing them away like trash.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 03:34:54 AM »

I don't see the purpose really. What we need to do is try to effect both wage growth and job security over the long run to stablise the economy. But doing that isn't going to be easy and it may be impossible. Business Managment styles need to change and value there workers mores as there most precious of assets and focus on building them up for the long term benefit of the business and not tossing them away like trash.

These things can only be changed if the control is wrested away from the elite, NC Yank.  Of course they value the workers as exactly what they are - powerless chattel.  The only way the 'management style' changes is if the workers get (at least some) power.

We need to take political action to require shorter work weeks, higher pay, and a redistribution of income and security away from the privileged and towards the commoners.  (I agree that this may be 'impossible' or in any case they'll try to kill people to prevent it, but I'd still recommend fighting).
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 11:44:59 AM »

We need to take political action to require shorter work weeks, higher pay, and a redistribution of income and security away from the privileged and towards the commoners. 

We need to do this, of course, so that the commoners can securely live poorer and less happy lives, with reduced opportunities for bettering it and with social mobility sharply restricted, so that the social status of even the lamest members of aristocracy never gets challenged. Tell me, are you a son of a British lord, or what?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »

Yes, I'm quite familiar with your fantasy world, ag.  By the way, do you live in Texas?  Have you ever left the Bad Place?  And have you ever met a European?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 01:11:32 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2009, 01:15:20 PM by ag »

Yes, I'm quite familiar with your fantasy world, ag.  By the way, do you live in Texas?  Have you ever left the Bad Place?  And have you ever met a European?

Oh, sure. Unlike you, I am not going to conceal my links to nobility Smiley So,

1. I've been exactly twice to Texas: once to El Paso (well, twice really - I was in Mexico for most of the trip, El Paso was, mostly, an airport for me, though I did spend a couple of nights in a hostel) and once to Austin. I also know reasonably well the insides of the Houston airport - they usually detain me in immigration there (and only there) for some strange reason, so I've spend time in places you don't suspect about Smiley DFW is better than HOU, in my experience - I can usually make the scheduled connection there.  Never been anywhere else in Texas. In the US I've spent 9 years in and around NYC. These days I usually go to Boston, though in the past year or so I've been also to Chicago, NY and SF.

2. I grew up in the former USSR. But if that's not European enough for you, I lived in Spain for about a year. Is that Europe? I also spent a couple of months in Australia (was considering a move) - not really European, but it tries Smiley As for Europeas - well, just talked to 2 in the morning, will be talking to the third one in a sec (though he has naturalized as a Mexican recently, so he might not qualify). Anyways, why Europeans? There are mostly (Latin) Americans around here - do you really think they are that bad? I always knew you don't like the non-white people.

3. I don't know, what's the "Bad Place", but I've been living in Mexico for most of the past decade (and took its citizenship).  Perhaps, in your book Mexico qualifies as Texas South. Is this country really capital-B "Bad"?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »

Just curious.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies