WTF: Productivity in Q3 Rise at 9.5% (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:29:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  WTF: Productivity in Q3 Rise at 9.5% (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WTF: Productivity in Q3 Rise at 9.5%  (Read 2000 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: November 07, 2009, 06:55:18 AM »

Productivity growth is always a good thing; however, it is precisely the problem with capitalism that this increase is always misallocated in a way which creates great and ever increasing instability.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 05:15:26 AM »

The obvious solution to productivity growth is to shorten the work week - anything over 32 hours is obscene - and to hire hundreds of thousand at government 'make work' sinecures.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 04:16:57 PM »

The obvious solution to productivity growth is to shorten the work week - anything over 32 hours is obscene - and to hire hundreds of thousand at government 'make work' sinecures.

This post made me smirk...

Perhaps I should have said - 'the obvious solution to lack of demand/overproduction caused by inequitably distributed productivity growth'.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 05:23:46 AM »

This post made me smirk...

Perhaps I should have said - 'the obvious solution to lack of demand/overproduction caused by inequitably distributed productivity growth'.

But people are already working 32 hours a week because of the recession.

But the key is they are only being compensated for 32 hours.  The way we fix the economy is to have them work 32 hours but receive (at least) the same pay they used to get for 40 hours.  In this way we are effecting a redistribution (reducing theft and privilege).   If we just reduce hours AND pay, we accomplish nothing whatsoever.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 03:34:54 AM »

I don't see the purpose really. What we need to do is try to effect both wage growth and job security over the long run to stablise the economy. But doing that isn't going to be easy and it may be impossible. Business Managment styles need to change and value there workers mores as there most precious of assets and focus on building them up for the long term benefit of the business and not tossing them away like trash.

These things can only be changed if the control is wrested away from the elite, NC Yank.  Of course they value the workers as exactly what they are - powerless chattel.  The only way the 'management style' changes is if the workers get (at least some) power.

We need to take political action to require shorter work weeks, higher pay, and a redistribution of income and security away from the privileged and towards the commoners.  (I agree that this may be 'impossible' or in any case they'll try to kill people to prevent it, but I'd still recommend fighting).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:23:37 PM »

Yes, I'm quite familiar with your fantasy world, ag.  By the way, do you live in Texas?  Have you ever left the Bad Place?  And have you ever met a European?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:26:55 PM »

Just curious.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies