Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:40:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Author Topic: Public Discussion on the Supreme Court Cases (Avoid Cluttering Case Threads)  (Read 70365 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »

Well that didn't work.
Then again I'm banned from doing something I can't do for months anyway Tongue

Hopefully the law will get changed.

No, we banned de-registration for a reason.

Before my time. What reason?

Someone de-registered then got voted into something.

Rather than ban voting for a de-registered person, they banned de-registration.

Seems counter-intuitive. People write-in members all the time. There is no reason to not allow de-registration. Just set a limit saying you can't re-register for a month or something.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2009, 12:05:38 AM »

You'll have to tell that to them. (points to elected officials)

They seem to have a tendency to react to a current problem with an everlasting law that's written so concisely as to cause future problems.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2009, 09:39:28 AM »

FWIW. I'm available to assist Bgwah as a special prosecutor or whatever, as needed.

With Lief and Marokai both being active I don't really have much to do Sad

Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2009, 07:54:48 PM »

<Reposted from original thread>

Greetings Fellow Atlasians:

After over a week of deliberation I have decided to offer my legal services to anyone---regardless of party affiliation---who wishes to challenge the constitutionality of the Privacy Protection Act. While I understand the intent of its authors is assuredly well-meaning---to try fostering civility and reducing the opportunity for backstabbing and resulting grudges---the effect of the law has been a chilling of the paramount rights to free speech and a free press. I believe that these issues must be addressed by our Supreme Court post haste regardless of whether one supports or opposes the law. I offer my professional legal services for precisely this challenge.

I realize I am taking a political risk doing this only two days before an election, but conscience dictates that I follow this path. To those who generally support the law and seek only to reform it, I must point out that the Court's guidance will be crucial in determining exactly to what extent and under what circumstances the law may be implemented. To those who see the law as unconditionally fair and just, I can only state again that my conscience requires I defend those whose right to free speech is so compromised.

I advised AG Bgwah that I was considering this course, and for the record I do NOT believe he has been in any way overreaching or selective in his enforcement of this law; rather I believe he is merely doing his job in enforcing a law that is by it's nature overbroad and intrusive to free speech and open political discourse.

While I reserve the right to decline representation based on the individual merits of a case, conflicts of interest, or time constraints, again, no one will be turned away based on party affiliation or political ideology.

So come on in to the parlor, folks. Have a refreshment and tell this simple country lawyer what the problem is....
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2009, 11:20:32 PM »

On that note, I am more than happy to defend the constitutionality of the law, whether by trying the case or submitting an amicus on behalf of the State.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2009, 11:27:35 PM »

Of course Marokai wants more justices now when there is a liberal in the White House.

Do you have anything intelligent to say....ever?

This is just like when FDR tried to stack the courts.

Except that it isn't?

This is exactly why I didn't float the idea before, even though it was BM's idea in the first place. I knew this is precisely the charge that would be leveled against me.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:44 AM »

On that note, I am more than happy to defend the constitutionality of the law, whether by trying the case or submitting an amicus on behalf of the State.

Feel free to bring your documents over to my office for a discussion counsel. I'll provide the standard meeting refreshment..... :-)

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2009, 10:39:04 AM »

Other than Al and Franzl it seems all of these people complaining about this were'nt here when this law was passed and don't have any memory of the problems that happened before it was passed.  If you had been guys you would know that we need it and why it is here for the benefit of us all, except the people who want to break the law.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »

I was most certainly here when this law - or any other law, actually - was passed, and I take the fact that I don't have any memory of "the problems that happened before it was passed" - or rather, problems of the kind it purports to fix - as not proof but reasonably strong evidence that they didn't exist.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2009, 12:33:17 PM »

I was most certainly here when this law - or any other law, actually - was passed, and I take the fact that I don't have any memory of "the problems that happened before it was passed" - or rather, problems of the kind it purports to fix - as not proof but reasonably strong evidence that they didn't exist.

At one point someone took a confidential message I sent them and posted it directly on the forum without my permission for one and I know of a few other people who had to deal with it too.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »

I don't thin that that's enough to warrant this limit on free speech.

Don't say things you're not comfortable letting out.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2009, 01:13:08 PM »

Other than Al and Franzl it seems all of these people complaining about this were'nt here when this law was passed and don't have any memory of the problems that happened before it was passed.  If you had been guys you would know that we need it and why it is here for the benefit of us all, except the people who want to break the law.

Trust me Hap, I know exactly what you're talking about. From only my few months in Atlasia I have a very good idea of what headaches and annoyances allowing posting of PM's will cause, and I don't like the idea.

That said, my belief is the statute so broadly chills free speech and the free press that, in this case, the cure is simply worse than the disease. Not to say the underlying disease doesn't still suck though.... :-P
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2009, 05:04:28 PM »

The law needs to be fixed not repealed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2009, 12:11:41 AM »

Trust me Hap, I know exactly what you're talking about. From only my few months in Atlasia I have a very good idea of what headaches and annoyances allowing posting of PM's will cause, and I don't like the idea.

That said, my belief is the statute so broadly chills free speech and the free press that, in this case, the cure is simply worse than the disease. Not to say the underlying disease doesn't still suck though.... :-P

I don't see how the PPA chills free speech and press. It is the equivalent, in my view, of banning wire-taps without a warrant.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »

I don't see how the PPA chills free speech and press. It is the equivalent, in my view, of banning wire-taps without a warrant.

The only problem with that is that it is completely different.

Banning wiretaps does not limit free speech.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2009, 11:21:20 AM »

Note to the AG : Shouldn't Hamilton/Swing Voter be prosecuted for voter fraud ?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2009, 11:21:35 AM »

At one point someone took a confidential message I sent them and posted it directly on the forum without my permission for one and I know of a few other people who had to deal with it too.
That's a "problem" only if you are a total idiot and wouldn't want the rest of the forum to notice. Basically.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2009, 11:31:12 AM »

Swing Voter never registered.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »

Sh**t... I wish he did just before Nik posted the PMs.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2009, 12:11:52 PM »

Yes and come to think of it, he can't register for several months till Hamilton falls off the Voter Roll. Thats what got Josh/Devilman. He didn't wait long enough.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: November 21, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »

Yes and come to think of it, he can't register for several months till Hamilton falls off the Voter Roll. Thats what got Josh/Devilman. He didn't wait long enough.

Well, it's still enough time to expell him from NE Assembly. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: November 21, 2009, 06:56:02 PM »

Well, it's still enough time to expell him from NE Assembly. Tongue

Thank god for that,  I was just about to enquire about that.
Swing Voter
swingvoter
Rookie
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.43

« Reply #72 on: November 21, 2009, 07:48:23 PM »

I think the PMs made it clear I would never register two accounts at once. You guys are talking like I made this account to cheat the game, and I didn't. I made this account to get away from the game.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #73 on: November 21, 2009, 10:42:06 PM »

I think the PMs made it clear I would never register two accounts at once. You guys are talking like I made this account to cheat the game, and I didn't. I made this account to get away from the game.

THEN GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: November 21, 2009, 11:02:33 PM »

THEN GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seconded
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies